We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » The Most Versatile Gimmick Ever Created! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Okay folks, I think I have invented the best thing since the T.T. Check it out and let me know what you think:

http://maniacofmagic.com/Documents/Trap%20Door%20Hand.jpg
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I wonder how many people here are going to rush out and get one of these! I know I will!

Forget Sanada!

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
deliveryboy
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of deliveryboy
Did you need an operation to make it work
MarceloElGrande
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of MarceloElGrande
Mmmm… I´ve seen this on Tarbell
This version provides everything needed to make the operation?

Marcelo
"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." (Steve Martin)
"We are all amateurs, life is too short for us to be anything else" (Charlie Chaplin)
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Bill Ligon-
Thanks for your interest. I haven't decided if I'm going to produce it through Royal to reach as many people as possible, or if I want to price it for exclusivity.

Deliveryboy -
Yes, you will need an operation to make this work. You'll also need to get a tattoo.

MaceloElGrande -
It's not yet available for purchase, but I think it will probably just be detailed instructions that your favorite surgeon, metal-worker, and tattoo artist can follow. This would hold the price down. The other direction I'm thinking of going with it, is actually including everything you need to do the surgery on yourself, implant the gimmick, and tattoo your own hand. I haven't decided yet.
www.maniacofmagic.com

J Hanes
View Profile
Veteran user
PDX, OR
317 Posts

Profile of J Hanes
I'll just put this here:
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
I hope you give proper credit to Jesus. He used to do that trick all the time post c... well, you know. Don't want to tip methods.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17174 Posts

Profile of joseph
Will this vanish coins too?..
Can you play tic tac toe when you are not practicing?...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
J Hanes-
Thanks! That rules!

Bitterman-
Yeah, I'll admit JC was an inspiration. But mine is original because I have a different paint scheme. And again, this isn't exactly meant to be used as a straight-up vanish; it's just a utility gimmick. I just show it this way to magicians. When in use, the spectators will not be aware of a hole in your hand.

Joseph-
Yes, it can be used for coins - up to a US quarter size. A half dollar could probably be pushed through the hole, but you'd have to fold your hand in half and squish it sideways (like the old big coin through little hole in the paper stunt). Tic tac toe would be an excellent idea. Maybe I could have a bonus effect with some type of tic tac toe mentalism, using the trap door to switch or ditch an "X" or an "O" for an Unbeatable Tic Tac Toe Master type of effect, or even some type of prediction...
www.maniacofmagic.com

J Hanes
View Profile
Veteran user
PDX, OR
317 Posts

Profile of J Hanes
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Nice for table hooping!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1190 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
What exactly is a table hoop?
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Quote:
On 2009-01-20 20:43, J Hanes wrote:

Table trim not needed.
Hand is designed to appear super-thin and ultra-deceptive.
www.maniacofmagic.com

bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Does the hand come in other colors?
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 09:02, bitterman wrote:
Does the hand come in other colors?

Yes - you can get a custom color-job... Abbott's Magic Co.'s paint shop, and their willingness to create props that fit your color scheme, inspired me to offer this. Of course, the only color you're really able to change is the color of the line - the other part should remain black. It is, after all, a B-art Trap Door Hand.

Wait. Unless you were actually talking about the color of the hand itself... Absolutely. You use your own hand, so you never have to worry about matching-up a gimmick's color again! No more buying touch-up paint! No more needing different gimmicks in the bright summer and gray winter! Your gimmick will get a tan WITH you!
www.maniacofmagic.com

Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Nathan, I had my hand done at a local tattoo parlor, and I am having some problems. Sometimes the trapdoor gets stuck and I find myself dropping things into it by accident. I have already lost a pair of eyeglasses, a billiard ball, a pair of dice, several coins, and some of my wife's best silverware. At other times I get a finger caught in the trap and to my embarrassment, I have to walk around with my hands clasped together for the rest of the evening. It is very unpleasant when toilet paper gets caught in the trap and people stare at me because I have it dangling from my palm. Can you help?

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17174 Posts

Profile of joseph
I tried juggling, but you have to start out with 25 balls, and stop when there are 3 left...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 11:17, Bill Ligon wrote:
Nathan, I had my hand done at a local tattoo parlor, and I am having some problems. Sometimes the trapdoor gets stuck and I find myself dropping things into it by accident. I have already lost a pair of eyeglasses, a billiard ball, a pair of dice, several coins, and some of my wife's best silverware. At other times I get a finger caught in the trap and to my embarrassment, I have to walk around with my hands clasped together for the rest of the evening. It is very unpleasant when toilet paper gets caught in the trap and people stare at me because I have it dangling from my palm. Can you help?

Well, the first problem is that you just tried installing it by yourself, without waiting for my fully authorized version with the detailed instructions, including care and maintenance. If you had waited, you would have known how to go about retrieving said items via the hatch in the elbow.

If your finger is currently stuck in the trap, don't panic. Your natural reaction is to pull, but this will only make the trap tighter. Try pushing first, then gently removing your hand. Ancient Chinese secret.

As far as the trap door getting stuck open, you probably used the wrong type of spring-hinge. Either that, or maybe the random objects piling up are preventing the door from closing fully. It could be any number of things. Until you get it figured out, please refrain from rehearsing your dove act. Contrary to popular belief, you do NOT want a bird in your hand.

Even though you are blatantly ripping me off, I will try to get back to you to have a more detailed discussion regarding your problem. It might be a few days, however. Right now I am very busy trying to get appointments set up with Kevin James (for a snow animator add-on), Steinmeyer (to design an even more deceptive hand-base), and Copperfield (I heard through the grapevine that he wants to buy exclusive rights to the Trap Door Hand, and use it to vanish some woman from Seattle or something like that).

By the way, what color did you decide to go with? Do you have a picture of your Trap Door Hand?
www.maniacofmagic.com

Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
Does this come in a right hand version as well?

Can it be used for appearances?

I often use my hands for .... other purposes, will it interfere or hinder other manual tasks, are there risks?

Finally, how quick is the reset and will it fool magicians?
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Quote:
Does this come in a right hand version as well?

No. That would be silly.

Quote:
Can it be used for appearances?

Absolutely... But you'll have to get the "Quickly Shoot Stuff Out of Your Hand With a Tiny Slingshot" additional option.

Quote:
I often use my hands for .... other purposes, will it interfere or hinder other manual tasks, are there risks?

There should be no major risks to your health and well-being, except those already pointed out by Bill, above. Also, your second and third fingers will occasionally become immobile and numb. And sometimes you'll pass out just as you are opening the trap door during a performance, and remain on the floor for about 5 hours. Side effects may include explosive gas. And sometimes death.

Quote:
Finally, how quick is the reset and will it fool magicians?

There is no reset time between uses, unless of course your Trap Door Hand gets full of stuff. If you are planning several vanishes and several appearances, you'll need to do extensive rehearsals to be sure that your "appearing silk" does not get tangled on a kiwi you just vanished.
It will probably fool magicians, unless they are familiar with the b-art table concept, or hang out at the magic Café, or have read more than one magic book. But I did not design the B-Art Trap Door Hand to fool magicians - I designed it to help magicians. This, my friends, will be "the next big thing." And, unlike a TT, you don't have to worry about losing this!

Another update: The B-Art Trap Door Hand designer team is currently looking for artists, willing to work for free, to design the Trap Door Hand tattoo design into a more pleasing layout. Basically, we want it to look like a tattoo that, when viewed on one's palm, will not raise a layperson's suspicions ("That's a neat hand tattoo. I'll bet it's just a hand tattoo and has nothing to do with a magic secret").
Remember, the center square of the design must stay where it's at, and the edges of that trap door have got to be masked with a line or design of some type... So feel free to post images of selections from your Palm-Tattoo portfolio, or create a new design. Eventually, when we feel like it, the design team will vote on the winners. Good luck!
www.maniacofmagic.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » The Most Versatile Gimmick Ever Created! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL