The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Close Up Magicians, Workers and Your Views on Stage Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Wanderer2
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Wanderer2
[/quote]

But, to continue to define the discussion, I don't think comedy/parlour magic is what I'm referring to. When I think of most stage magic, I think of the stuff largely set to music. Are people really still stoked by watching a tiny woman climb into an enormous box and then see some poor tiger appear after spinning the thing around three times?

[/quote]

Well, I think that's the whole problem. You're making a pretty big generalization there. It seems that you don't have a problem with stage magic, but rather the magic that you seen some performers do on stage. I agree that the examples that you provided really aren't very good. I've never liked the big illusions and stuff with all the props. I've always found them to be kind of cliche. But that's the thing, it's THOSE examples of stage magic that are so cheesy(to you and me), not stage magic itself. The stage is my favorite venue for performing, and it's also my favorite to watch, if it's done well. I recommend checking out the stage work of Nate Staniforth on his DVD "Magician". THAT'S the kind of stuff I like.

As for masters in both stage and close up, Tommy WOnder is one of the prime examples. I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned him yet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Close Up Magicians, Workers and Your Views on Stage Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL