The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » It´s not spooky at all, but very special: Metamorphosis (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
magiquemaker
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of magiquemaker
That may indeed have been the case, though I don't believe he could have independantly come up with an effect that is so nearly identical to the one Steven Cambian marketed years before. The trick is so nearly identical, its ludicrous.

And while yes he may have had that idea and put this out, having now been informed that his trick is nearly identical to one already marketed and put out on the market many years earlier, what did he do about it?

Did he stopping selling his version? Of course not, as of this writing, having been informed that his trick is a knockoff he continues to sell his. You can still go to his website and buy his knockoff.

Even if he did this by accident, having been informed that he "inadvertantly" ripped off another magician, the proper, the right, the MORAL thing to do would be to stop selling his. Did he stop selling his knockoff? Of course not.

That alone speaks volumes about his character, and he will no doubt just make excuses for his thievery and continue selling his blatant copy of an already existing effect that was marketed years before his.

He was informed weeks ago that his trick was just about a 1:1 knockoff of an already existing effect. He has had ample time to apologise and pull his knockoff from his website. He has not done either. What does that say about him?

It says alot. I for one would never buy ANYTHING from him or his website because of this issue, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels that way. This is the funny part about issues like this. Guys think they will just do whatever they like but there is always consenqueces to actions like this. He may make a few bucks now selling this, but in the long run he is destroying his credibility and his reputation, just to make a few bucks right now.

Its sad that he must need the money that badly to continue selling this after he has been informed weeks ago that he "inadvertantly" ripped off another inventor.

I wish Steve Cambian would chime in on this issue, it would be interesting to see what he thinks about this issue, but having been the victim of this kind of thing many times, he's probably tired of fighting with the leeches on his back.

Unlike this gentleman, he is also probably too busy making real money doing shows to care about this kind of thing. He does not need to sell magic to survive, unlike some less scrupulous people in our midst.

John
P.S. If Mr. Knockoff does pull this trick down from his website, stops selling it and apologises, then I certainly apologise for my comments. I think I have a better chance of seeing pigs fly, but hey, it could happen.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
@John: you have no idea how the whole effect Metamorphosis developed. My first version of this trick years ago was called Coloring Butterflies, can also be found on my website and evolved over the years. Now adding a great story, beautiful cards and a final load to my effect does not make Metamorphosis a knock-off.

Actually I never saw Cocoon before, I googled it to finally find it. And now? Shall everything that has a butterfly theme in it be a knock-off of the web? What about Caterpillar Love from Jim Pace? Without knowing anything about me you are really tough spreading rumors about my character. Does this make you feel better? If yes, proceed. I don´t want to stay in your way.
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Personally I think it's entirely possible to dream up this trick independantly; things changing into other things? Crysalis/butterfly, egg/bird, head/skull, ashes/pheonix...
There's a reason butterflies are used symbolically throughout many cultures.

Now whilst I accept others have used this concept, I frankly don't beleive Christian is lying, and hence don't see the need to keep having a pop at him, particlularly in the over-the-top near-hysterical terms expressed here.

Anyone remember Shane's challenges on Visions? "Proving the impossible"? You'd be surprised how many people independantly came up with the same thing.

So here's a freebie to finish, and Christian if you want to make the cards for this, feel free!
I'd like a packet trick where the card first shown is a phallus. This changes into a womb; then the womb had a foetus in it, then finally the card is blank - a tap on the top produces a little pink plastic baby doll. Then all cards are turned over showing nothing but a row of coffins...
[
JonWhite
View Profile
Loyal user
London
284 Posts

Profile of JonWhite
In my recent purchase of this lovely little effect I found Christian to be both extremely professional and personable.

The instruction booklet included credits several people involved in his evolution of the effect. I have every belief that Christian would have also acknowledged others should he have needed or known.

All credit to Christian for the quality of his work.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
5 years? What about Jim Pace's caterpillar love? That was about 12 years ago.
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=1131

Card shark's cards are works of art. he is not taking any market share from those other creators.
James

Quote:
On 2009-06-18 03:51, magiquemaker wrote:
I like this effect, but then I bought this effect more than 5 years ago as "The cocoon" by Steven Cambian. Steven's original version of the effect, which he still sells, included cocoon and butterfly cards but the handling of the cards was a bit different. I bought this effect at least 5 years ago.

Later...

The effect was even marketed worldwide by zanadu magic, though it was the second version of Steven's effect, which used handmade cocoon and butterfly props.
I bought this version of the effect as well :

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=10071

The effect is exactly the same, a butterfly ends up on the back of the volenteer's hand. The effect certainly pre-dates this one, and its so close it could not have been a coencidence. I have not seen Steven in some time, but I'm sure he still sells both the original version with the cards, and the newer version with the cocoon props.

I think its laughable that he is marketing this effect as "The best packet trick of 2009" when it was really a great packet trick back in 2004 or even earlier,
by Steven Cambian. Steven is a member here, "haywire" is his user-id.

Steven is a very creative and imaginative magician, and has more or less stopped releasing new effects due to constantly being imitated, he said its just not worth his time to release an effect, only to see others making nearly the exact same trick less than 6 months after he starts selling them. Its very bad for magic as a whole when people like card shark claim to know nothing about an effect that is almost exactly the same, then they call it "The best packet trick of 2009", and don't even mention the original inventor of the effect.

All he did was change the handling of the cards, I bought this just to see and the cards, while having different graphics are nearly exactly the same. All he did was change the graphics on the cards and change the handling of the cards a bit.

The effect IS the same as the cocoon, released more than 5 years ago originally.
Then released with the cocoon gimmicks a few years ago by Zanadu magic.

Support the originators, not the imitators please...

John
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
booswain
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of booswain
All I know is that the cards look beautiful...and the trick does look lovely....thanks cardshark for the beautiful work...and creating a wonderful looking effect......
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Yes, the props are beautiful, and the effect is ...well, effective! Really, it is a jaw-dropper, and I love it.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
I have been thinking about buying Metamorphosis (Pro now) for a while now until I came across this thread. I would gladly purchase from the originator but I can't find it??? I found the web site, but there are no products. I sent Steven an e-mail, so I am hoping to get a response so I can buy his if he indeed still has them? I do see "The cocoon by Steven Cambian" at several places. Although, I am wanting the cards and the butterflies.

John (magiquemaker), You said in one of your posts:
"Steven's original version of the effect, which he still sells, included cocoon and butterfly cards but the handling of the cards was a bit different. I bought this effect at least 5 years ago.".

Do you know where I can purchase Steven's version with the cards and the butterfly?

I just want to buy this unique effect from the original creator if possible. However, if it's not available from him, then I will go with one that is available. I can understand ones frustration if his effects are constantly being ripped off. It would make him want to stop selling/making them. I don't blame him for not wanting to chime in here. His choice and right. Although, I wish he would.

But, if a demand is for an effect that has both the cards and the butterfly kicker, and it is only available from one source, I (and I am sure others) will decide to go with that source. That is just your basic supply/demand concept. May be wrong in that the original doesn't get credit/paid, but that is the price one pays for stopping production. Although it is now popular and a topic, I am wondering if Steven will want to bother with making his again?

Obviously, Christian has done an amazing job at marketing his effect. That is another huge factor here as well. And the effect is an awesome one as everybody agrees.

This is tough in that I want to support the original. But, it is hard to do and figure out! I also have a "Want" and I try to get the "Original Created" effect. But at the same time, I love the "Old" look on Metamorphous and the envolope. I do agree with NexusMagicShop in that magic grows, evolves. I also don't believe that Christian did anything on purpose at all.

When I first got into magic, I visited my local shop and bought a "Wooden Box" effect where you lose a spectator's signed card and it appears in the wooden box sitting on the table. Well, of course this was a "Copy" of John Kennedy's "Mystery Box" effect. I had no idea until years later and I think on here; I realized it was not his (the one I bought) and was a copy. So, some say I should pay John right? Well, honestly, there is NO way I would spend over $50 on that effect. If it was his, I would not have bought it. YES, it IS worth it and an EXCELLENT effect. I just can't spend that kind of money. I was not in the wrong since I was new to magic, and I am not going to research an effect that I am buying! I don't have time for that! But, like when I buy a new Dishwasher (which I am looking now), I do a ton of research. The research is for the cheapest, best product for my money. I don't research who made the first HE, or Energy Savor, etc. If the one is not availble from GE. I go to Maytag, or whatever... I just need the diswasher...

I don't do Magic for a living, so I don't get paid. Now if I did it professionally, I would research effects that I perform to ensure I am paying the rightful inventor/owner.

Wow, I rambled on way to much! Sorry guys...

My original intent was that I want to see what Steven has to offer and see if he does indeed have his original effect available. I too wish he would comment on here, but again; his right not to do so...

I will let you know what he says if I get a response. I will ask his permission first though. I am going to try and call him as well.

I am a laid back kind of guy. I am NOT trying to stir things up. I am by all means nothing compared to the experience on here. I am just a guy who loves magic, and does it occasionally as a hobby. I truly do want to buy from the right person if they have the effect I want.

Mike Newman
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Hi Mike,

I can understand that you want to support the originator of a trick, that would be my same intention. But...

Metamorphosis - as I stated - is my invention that evolved independently over a timespan of three years. Magicians around the world agree that this is a great effect and that it plays well for laymen. It is even hard to find any information about the effect "Cocoon".

So far I have never seen Steve´s trick so I don´t even know how it works and how similar it really is. Perhaps you should find out first what the other effect looks like before you spend your money. I guess that the effect "Cocoon" is quite different even if a single person is stating that he might saw similarities. As he never saw my trick life and never read my instructions and as I never did the same with Cocoon I have to warn you that you perhaps compare apples with peaches.

Just my two cents to this.
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Christian,
I sent you a PM. Yes, I agree that without seeing the two, it is REALLY hard to see any diffrences, alikenesss, etc. I hope to hear from Steven soon. I sent him an e-mail listed on his website. He doesn't have any products there, so I couldn't compare in that way.

Thanks for you reply and BTW; everything I have seen with your products are truly unique and look like a lot of fun!

mike Newman
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I know I am late to the garden...however...
Card Shark's Metamorphosis is a joy to perform. The props are outstanding, the aged look of the cards is extraordinary. This is a rare package of magic. I could not be more impressed.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
This conversation of who created what is valid to a point, as it's been said so many times, more than one person can have the same basic idea, and I think almost all the effects of present day, are derivative of something that was invented years ago, even hundreds of years ago, so let it go, and enjoy a top quality , well designed and useable effect, such as this is.
TomFoolery
View Profile
New user
Gloucester
83 Posts

Profile of TomFoolery
I have just ordered mine from Christian this morning after seeing him dem it at The Session.
Can't wait to get my hands on it.
degrandwazoo
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of degrandwazoo
Magiquemaker it is possible to discuss tricks and originators without impugning character and looking for a solution that requires someone to stop their business because you think it's a 1:1 copy. Handling - different, pictures - different, supply of butterflies to leave - different, story - different. Gee it's almost a copy except for - almost all of the details.

Christian is an excellent vendor and works hard to satisfy customers. I have bought a bunch of his stuff directly and through dealers and use it professionally. It's unique and has appeal to specs. YOU have no right to make assumptions on his character when you have never met or worked with the man

This kind of mindless rant is why many in the community see the Café as a joke. Christian's company is expanding the art. Respect the work and lay off the personal commentary. Or, I could assume you are just a housebound armchair magi that likes to look important by tearing down someone else when you have almost no command of the total picture.

Why not go after all those guys ripping off the original sponge bunnies?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » It´s not spooky at all, but very special: Metamorphosis (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL