The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism Incorporated (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
steve_seguin
View Profile
New user
London, Ontario
70 Posts

Profile of steve_seguin
Hi,

Has anyone read this book yet? I keep waiting for someone to review it, but the Café seems oddly quiet about this book.

Steve Seguin
London, ON
Sergeant
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of Sergeant
Steve,
The only reason to be quiet about this book is because it is so good. The book breaks new ground in my opinion. Not because of any new mentalism technique or trick, but because it shows one how to properly construct a show, a mentalism show. I would not recommend one copy his presentation, but examine how and why he did the tricks and scripting that he constructed and find a way to adapt them to your own life experiences and personality. I rate this book very high.

Sergeant
brownbeauty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of brownbeauty
Great Book!!!

Rudy
IanBrodie
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of IanBrodie
I was really impressed - inspired even.

Theres a lot of good theory in there about how to best present you work in a corporate environment. How to think about each effect and the routining, etc. It also reveals enough about some famous booktests to make you want to go out and spend your hard-earned cash!

Ian
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
This book is very under priced. Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6626 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I agree with many of the above posts. Let's stop talking about this book. It's too good.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Im sorry but I didn't find that it was that good. How to construct a show was very useful but it was just a small part of the book.

I didn't find that it had much new in it. I didn't like the scripting either or the effects.

You can't please everybody... Smile
Brandon
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
130 Posts

Profile of Brandon
Shrink--

I must disagree--I see your points, but what I came away with from Chuck's book--was a lot.

He breaks down the act--the very act that he uses and shows you what you need to do.

Granted, the effects are not the important thing here--so if you're looking at it for that--I would pass. But if you'd like a good solid examination of how to put together an act--and understand the philosphies behind it...the book is worth it's weight in gold.

Brandon
rrubin98
View Profile
Veteran user
Cogito, ergo sum scripsit
301 Posts

Profile of rrubin98
I wish Chuck's book had a much higher price!

- Richard
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6626 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Richard, I always agree with that statement. Too many items are way underpriced.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
This is a very good book indeed, professionally written and produced by someone who has spent a long time in Leadership and Communication Training in the corporate world.

I point this out as I believe Mr Hickok's business-like and customer-focused approach adds a sharpness and real-world dimension to the material that is clearly based on his considerable personal experience.

The author lays out his act in a very structured way and adds many unique insights into performance and entertainment issues that are extremely valuable.

I am delighted he chose to release this material and as for the price, this has to be one of the best bargains around and worth its weight in gold for those who are prepared to apply such a strategy to their own work.
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
View Profile
Special user
875 Posts

Profile of 1908
Can anybody please describe the routines included?I am very interested to purchase it.
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
IanBrodie
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of IanBrodie
1908 - don't buy it for the routines - they're good, but fairly standard. Buy it for the extras - the thinking, routining, psychology, etc. That's what I really learnt from (although as we can read above, Shrink didn't - but I think he's rather more experienced than me and may know this stuff already)

Having said that, the routines include a Magic Square, a demonstration of influence, a psychometry effect with drawings, a multi-ook test routine and a prediction effect. There are also a few other bonus effects.

Chuck Hickok's website is http://www.chuckhickok.com/ and you can buy the book on http://www.chuckhickok.com/book.html

Rgds,

Ian

For those of you reading my post above and wondering what the fantastic "multi-ook test" is, please send a cheque for $50 to me and I will reveal all in my manuscript "how to spell 'book'"

Ian
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
462 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Quote:
Chuck Hickok's website is http://www.chuckhickok.com/ and you can buy the book on http://www.chuckhickok.com/book.html

You should also be able to get it from your local dealer. It's been on Hank Lee's website for a while now. Smile
rrubin98
View Profile
Veteran user
Cogito, ergo sum scripsit
301 Posts

Profile of rrubin98
I agree with Ian: the effects are just icing on the cake in this book. I had my money's worth before I even reached the description of Einstein's Revenge (or whatever Chuck calls his magic square routine).

- Richard
myshadow
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of myshadow
I found this a very useful book. Yes, the effects may not be new but the overall discussion on presentation was illuminating. As an amateur mentalist (or should that be mind reader - but hey, that's another thread)I found it excellent value for money.

Brian
Victor Ian Smith
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
63 Posts

Profile of Victor Ian Smith
Very good value for anyone interested in a "real" world corporate perspective.
"Do what you love...

...and you will never work a day of your life"

- Confucius
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12447 Posts

Profile of John C
One of the ... two ... three of the BEST investments in your craft you can make

Both ... all three of Chuck's Books.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=5788745
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
pete
View Profile
Loyal user
Finland
207 Posts

Profile of pete
Yes, both books from Mr. Hickok are just great! I´m not agree everything with him but most of the time books include great routines, great thinking and a lot of things how to do mentalism in real world situations.

Pete
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
The links to the book on Chuck's site are wrong. The following link works:

http://www.chuckhickok.com/tools.html
Mentalism for the Metroplex
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism Incorporated (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL