The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Impromptu Workshop (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
Impromptu Magic has never been my forte since my teens & 20's. I know many magicians love the idea of being able to just work ad hoc. For years, in case of being asked, I would carry certain items, just in case. However, last year, after looking in my many notebooks, I realised I had a number of entirely impromptu tricks and some that needed just a little help, collected and used over the years. So
The Nottingham Guild of Magicians was treated!! to an Impromptu Workshop, instead of my normal annual lecture. It was entitled-- Off The Cuff.
First I noticed a number of tricks with a handkerchief + the occasional borrowed item.
1. THE HANDKERCHIEF.( in order of performance)
a. Stretching A Hanky.
b. Vanishing a coin. First in the old triangle & pull, then in a hanky bag by Eddie
Joseph.
c. Coin Penetration-- even in 19th. Century magic books & Karl Fulves, Thru a ring.
d. Fatima. ( was a dancer gay for 50 cents she'd dance this way etc.)
e. Pen-etration. The pen thru a hanky.
f. Ghost ( Glorpy) Based on the Karl Fulves. I simply slid the pen from e. under &
that was the gimmick.
g. Wagging or Haunted Hank. Great routine for this-- Bob Read in Genii Vol 67, No. 4
April 204, pages 76 to 80; part of his Bottle production. Also in Second Time
Around, pages 11 to 14, Roy Johnson (Goodliffe Publications 1971)
h. Broken & Restored Match-- with no duplicate. Explained in my first 'Dear
Magician 'series in Abra magazine.
i. Knotty Knot. A coin transposition by Ross Bertram (Sphinx June 1950)
j. Malini's Coin Game. Explained in Dai Vernon's book on Malini & in Roy
Johnson's,Silver Special( Magico Magazine USA)1989
Then there is the magic Handkerchief Mouse & the safety pin thru handkerchief, 'tearing it along the edge!!( for the brave only!)

THEN CAME
18 items with matches, coins, Mental, & some novelties & gags.
Strangely, & thankfully it was all worked( with a 10 minute coffee interval) in just under 2 hours!

Allen Tipton
UK
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Impromptu Workshop (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL