The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review Spotlight on Carey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Let me begin by saying thet John is a good Friend, and I have the plesure of working with him in the real world many times, I'll try not to let this bias my review.

There are 16 effects on this dvd, mostly card work with some coin work thrown in too.

I'll go through what most stood out for me.......

Six Card Oil & Water, this is a very well constructed handling of the classic plot, desiged to work in the hands under the hardest conditions, a real worker for walk-around, very visual and highly magical to lay people.

Overhand Shuffle & Peek control, this is a real gem, even a south paw like me can take advantage of a very devious "action" control & peek, this has a lot of potential.

Whispering Queen, another classic plot, simple on the audience and for the performer, my only bug was the Houdini/Erdnase change, its not my cuppa, (dry skin) BUT John does a fantastic job teaching it, showing some of the finer details in handling as well as giving it a magical appearance.

Summer of '76, a well put together sandwich effect, clear cut, & straight to the point.

Slo-Mo Collectors, this again, a classic plot, very well thought out, a dream for walk-around, with no excessive handling.

Face-up CAAN, based in part on Vernon's Slap trick, John's suprise ending gives this beauty a new lease of life, a joy to add back into my working act!.

Simple Sequence, same again, John's ending to a Jennings effect gives it a fresh appeal, a good solid effect for walk-around or table work.

Triple Impurseination, wow!, a triple spellbound effect with a fantastc kicker, Johns presentation of going back in time will have your audience rubbing their eyes in disbelief!.

One Coin Routine, this is one classic plot that many a coin man has tried to get thier teeth into since Slydini did his oh way back when I was a dream in my parents minds.......John has taken to well crafted moves and put then together into a flowing almost poetic piece of magic, well worth learning this!.......

All in all this dvd offers much more then some 3 times the cost with only half the effects, and whilst the skill range covered all levels, I do believe that Richard Kaufmann once said about using the best "tools" for the job, Marlo did the same, I do think that Johns thinking is along the same lines.

9/10

Dave.
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Great review Dave,

So-Mo Collectors is a classic, I know of many professionals who've added this great effect to their repertoire's. I use 'Summer of 76' often, and John's excellent 'Thought of Cards Across'.

This is an excellent collection of strong card magic, oh and not forgetting John's great 'One Coin Routine'.

Excellent value for money.

All the best,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - Life's a Beach Vol 1.
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1051 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Hi Guys,

A paypal facility has now been set up for sale of the dvd. Price is 15 pounds U.K, 20 Dollars U.S.

The paypal address is johncareymagic@googlemail.com

Kind regards

John Carey
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1051 Posts

Profile of John Carey
A very big thank you to everyone who has ordered the dvd.
The response has been excellent. Hope you all have a great time working these routines.

Kind regards

John
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1051 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Here is one of the routines from the dvd guys.

Enjoy.

John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIcosb6mxKE
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-02-11 14:35, John Carey wrote:
Here is one of the routines from the dvd guys.

Enjoy.

John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIcosb6mxKE

It says the video is no longer available.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Worked fine for me just a minute ago......
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1051 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Hi Chris,

Here is an updated link with further information.

Best

John Carey http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSPPWllku9Y
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I haven't got this yet, but I having known John for a few years now amongst some of my close friends in Magic, along with Gary Jones, Chris Congreaves and Mark Bendell to name a few. John has always amazed me with his clever thinking and keen eye for actually improving, rather than contriving classic effects. When I see my phone ringing with John's name appearing, you usually get that sense of excitement, as it is usually John has created a new trick! He is a true underground Magician, and was one of the lucky few invited to Jack Parkers 'Pasteboard Soiree', with some of the TOP underground thinkers in the WORLD. I was invited but sadly couldn't make it, but anyone invited, knows how to create an effect, and John REALLY does! John loves Magic, you can tell when you meet him due to the huge smile on his face whenever he performs, it isn't a job for John, it is a passion.

As with Jones and Congreaves DVDs, I haven't got any of them as I have been fortunate to either see them first hand, or be around when they were first created. I also am fortunate to be invited to their lectures etc, so it is always good fun.

At £15 for a DVD, that could EASILY cost double that, and still I think people would be happy with their money spent. Not every day a worker releases their material, and this is one of them, so I am a little surprised there isn't more talk of this DVD.

I see a lot of releases these days, but don't bother with much anymore. But if I listen to anyone now, it will be my friends that I know are workers. And if you have a friend that works as a Magician full time, listen to what they say, as they really know the difference between a good trick, and a workable trick. One time tricks etc don't interest me anymore, but a DVD like this, where I know everyone of them could easily go straight into my reportoire, then £15 is surely a bargain!

As I said, I haven't seen the actual DVD to comment, but I know John and I know his effects, so I can guarantee this will be good!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
frankw
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of frankw
My first contact with John was here at the secret session, where he wrote some of his ideas. This was so interesting that I bought his lecture notes and from this moment I had the wish to see this material performed!
John technique is great but the strongest part of his magic is his direct thinking to the effect! Everything on this DVD is practical, short, direct and entertaining. This is magic for the real world!
THANKS JOHN!!!!!!!!
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1051 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Hi guys,

I will be floating around this weekend at Blackpool, so come up and say hi and I will perform any of the material for you.
Btw, I drink Fosters.lol

Best

John
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1051 Posts

Profile of John Carey
A very big thank you to everyone who purchased my dvd at Blackpool. The material was very well received and it was so much fun to meet up with old friends and make new ones.

All the best

John
Mark Southworth
View Profile
Veteran user
u.k
353 Posts

Profile of Mark Southworth
John,
Loved the Dvd mate great material, John has a great routine on the dvd which is worth the price alone !!

John demo'd Triple Impursienation from the dvd for me at blackpool, this is a great coin routine !!

Well Done John !

Best

Mark
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1134 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I thought I'd offer some comments here on John's DVD which I finally had time to watch. This is a very well put together DVD, with a nice assortment of effects (mostly cards), but I'm always interested in someone's takes on the classic effects (collectors, oil&water,etc). It's a one camera shot, but good lighting. Sound fades on a couple of the explanations, but John can still be heard okay. The table John performed on was probably a few inches too high as the camera had an almost straight on shot at the deck so it was hard to see the faces of the cards at times. Again, not a fatal flaw, I just wanted to see the effects better for my enjoyment. John has a very approachable persona and really seems to be having fun while he's performing.

Some of the stand outs for me were his work on the peek (I love peeks and use them all the time). I think I've seen the one he's teaching before somewhere but it was nice to see it again in use. His take on the Biddle Trick (I'm spacing out the name on the DVD) was very clean and made me brush up on this trick and start doing it again. It's so strong and John has made this look very innocent in his handling. His '76 and Collectors effects were well put together and workers. Triple Impursination, which can be seen on youtube, is a real nice handling for the triple change wildcoin and ends clean. I really liked this alot.

Overall, a really good effort and value for the asking price.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review Spotlight on Carey (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL