The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Final score: 100 - 0...you're fired! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Did you hear about the high school girls basketball team from Texas?

They played another team and beat them by a score of 100 - 0

The town folk got all upset, so the school fired the coach because he should have taken it easy on the losing team!?

Texas Sports!
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Little League parent, there?

You don't quite have the full story.

The losing team was from a school for developmentally disabled students. They probably shouldn't have been in the same league with the winning team, but I gather there weren't any other options. Anyway, the winning team utterly crushed them. Most coaches would have used the opportunity to put in less-experienced players, practice new strategies, and change up positions, rather than annihilating a team so obviously outmatched.

Of course the town was a little ticked off. So the winning school offered to forfeit the game due to poor sportsmanship.

The winning coach went ballistic at that suggestion. So he was let go for his poor sportsmanship.

Should high-school level sports really be about cut throat victory at all costs? Or would you rather kids learn sportsmanship and fair play? Yes, I know that life isn't fair, but maybe it might be a bit better if more people had good attitudes.

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
True...

Like I said -

Texas...
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2009-01-28 16:16, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Should high-school level sports really be about cut throat victory at all costs? Or would you rather kids learn sportsmanship and fair play?

Does it have to be either/or? Why not, be a good sport, play fair, and play to win?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-01-28 15:37, Justin Style wrote:
Did you hear about the high school girls basketball team from Texas?

They played another team and beat them by a score of 100 - 0

The town folk got all upset, so the school fired the coach because he should have taken it easy on the losing team!?

Justin, are you ignoring daffydoug's threads?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=32&12

I'm not sure whether the town folk were all that upset. It sounds like it was mainly the trustees (or administrators) of the private Christian school that were upset. They thought that their own coach should not have dominated the other team like that.

It was un-Christianlike.

About the team they beat:

Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become one-sided. There is, however, "a golden rule" that should have applied in this contest, Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools, said last week. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school athletics in Texas.

The story has received national attention, and the Dallas Academy team has been recognized for refusing to give up during the lopsided contest.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
There's a difference between playing to win, and victory at all costs. The first wins games. The second gets a wrathful fastball in the face.

Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2009-01-28 16:39, EsnRedshirt wrote:
There's a difference between playing to win, and victory at all costs. The first wins games. The second gets a wrathful fastball in the face.

That's right, there is. But you stacked the deck in your question. You gave us an option of "cut throat victory at all costs" or fair play and good sportsmanship. And that a bogus choice. It's not the only one we have. Your question, as posed, was disingenuous.
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
This isn't the Harlem Globetrotters versus the Washington Generals.

If the "developmentally disabled" team couldn't realistically compete, they should have forfeited.

Insisting that one team handicap themselves to be "fair" isn't sportsmanlike.

The world is a competitive place.

Getting your *** handed to you occasionally is good for the soul.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
What he said^

The people who put those kids into that bracket where such a thing could happen need to be slapped for being stupid.

You don't see many NBA teams going up against those wheelchair basketball guys, for a good reason.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Josh, yeah, it'd be far too humiliating when the NBA team got their butts kicked Smile

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2009-01-29 22:27, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Josh, yeah, it'd be far too humiliating when the NBA team got their butts kicked Smile

Ironically poor choice of words.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Does anyone know what it means to "fire" the coach in this context?

Are US high school coaches typically hired as coaches? Or are they teachers who volunteer time to coach? Or something else?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2009-01-30 10:55, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Are US high school coaches typically hired as coaches? Or are they teachers who volunteer time to coach?

Most of the guys I know who have coached were teachers. Sometimes they coach at a school that is different from the one the work at. Or they are teachers in that school, but they get paid additionally for the coaching.

Teachers don't do much for free. At almost any level they get something for the coaching.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Thanks Vandy. I wondered about that. In my jurisdiction, school coaches are volunteers. In some of the bigger high schools, they sometimes get a bit of release time from teaching as compensation.

So what do you suppose is meant by the firing of the coach? Was he just relieved of that one duty? Can anyone find out? I certainly hope that a teacher wasn't fired over this judgment.

John
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-01-30 11:29, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Thanks Vandy. I wondered about that. In my jurisdiction, school coaches are volunteers. In some of the bigger high schools, they may get a bit of release time from teaching as compensation.

So what do you suppose is meant by the firing of the coach? Was he just relieved of that one duty? Can anyone find out? I certainly hope that a teacher wasn't fired over this judgment.

John
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I don't know, but if I had to guess I would say he was just relieved of his coaching duties. Just a guess though.

P.S. Isn't quoting yourself a bit pretentious?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Say yes it is. Fortunately, it is more a sign of technical incompetence than pretentiousness (but there are other clues as to that, I'm sure).

John

PS I wonder how I did that.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Lol!
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-01-30 10:55, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Does anyone know what it means to "fire" the coach in this context?

Are US high school coaches typically hired as coaches? Or are they teachers who volunteer time to coach? Or something else?

John

When I was in High School the coaches were hired as coaches and then given classes to teach on the side. My current affairs teacher was one of the Football coaches and he was a real dim bulb. He spent most of the class time skipping over the sections of the textbook he didn't understand and reciting the Barretta slogan "If you can't pay the time then don't do the crime"
Needless to say I aced the class by doing book reports on subjects beyond his comprehension. I remember getting an A on my report of "Future Shock" and I had only read the first three chapters. He also thought I was an intellectual because I had a beard. He was right of course but not because of the beard Smile

My High School might have been unique in this practice of hiring coaches. I certainly hope so as it didn't always work out to well.

Our wrestling coach was also the drivers ed teacher and, in my senior year, he was accidentally killed by one of his wrestlers. He had convinced the hapless youth to shoot him in the shoulder to provide him with an alibi for the earlier murder of a former student. He had killed the guy in an attempt to get his wife -- who was the former dead students ex-wife -- to come back to him.
Needless to say the bullet ricochet off his shoulder blade and went right through his heart, killing him instantly.

The whole sad, misguided love triangle double homicide even made it into a book

http://www.amazon.com/Fever-Heart-Other-......71793551
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
soccergod
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of soccergod
I worked as an assistant coach at a school with about 2000 kids. I coached lacrosse and got paid $400. Good source of a second job.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Final score: 100 - 0...you're fired! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL