The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Lost (again) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7443 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I read somewhere that one indication of when the Orchid was built, was because Dr. Chang was playing a Willie Nelson record / "Shotgun Willie" song (the record that skipped), in the same episode ("Because you left").

According to the wiki site, that record / song was released in 1973.

So, it must have been later than that.

Also, some of the DHARMA orientation films, have copyright notice dates, to help indicate their place in the timeline. Even in the 80s. Remember, all of them feature Dr. Chang (under aliases).

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3234 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-02-13 00:30, Donald Dunphy wrote:
I read somewhere that one indication of when the Orchid was built, was because Dr. Chang was playing a Willie Nelson record / "Shotgun Willie" song (the record that skipped), in the same episode ("Because you left").

So, it must have been later than that.

Also, some of the DHARMA orientation films, have copyright notice dates, to help indicate their place in the timeline. Even in the 80s. Remember, all of them feature Dr. Chang (under aliases).

- Donald

Early 80's -hence the apple computers (and not one mac amongst them!)

I figure Ben must have been 10-12 and given his age it was probably the early 70's when him and his dad moved to the island. So the 70's Willie would fit there.

Maybe he and Charlotte DID witness the old well before the construction of the Orchid station? Who knows!

I really love the period atmospherics in the show and was hoping they'd spend more time in the 50's to capture the feel of that time period as well...

Maybe in the future?
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Season 5 is moving too sloooooow. It feels like they're stretching it out now.

Best,

Doug L.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3234 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-02-13 03:03, Doug Lippert wrote:
Season 5 is moving too sloooooow. It feels like they're stretching it out now.

Best,

Doug L.

I agree. Which sucks because they've really got a lot of ground to cover if they are going to explain all of the mysteries they've built up over the past 5 seasons!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
So I think that somhow Locke as turning the wheel at the same time Ben was. Sound crazy?

Think about it, they both had a hard time pushing the donkey wheel, Locke was acctually pushing it in a different direction to what Ben was and in what seemed to be a different place. Ben was pushing on one side, Locke on the other, they were pushing against each other.
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1365 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
I have a question and hope someone could answer Smile

Since Rousseau met Jen in the past(due to Jen going back in Time) how come she didn't recognise him years later when they met up again?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3234 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-02-13 19:28, Pauldela wrote:
So I think that somhow Locke as turning the wheel at the same time Ben was. Sound crazy?

Think about it, they both had a hard time pushing the donkey wheel, Locke was acctually pushing it in a different direction to what Ben was and in what seemed to be a different place. Ben was pushing on one side, Locke on the other, they were pushing against each other.

What'chu been smokin' mate ?!?!

Actually, with time travel anything in possible and all theories are up for grabs so that makes as much sense as anything.

However, in the show Ben had trouble with the wheel because it was iced over -he used a crowbar to knock the ice off the wheel, and Locke was told the wheel was off its' axis and was already in motion and lit up...

I think it will be very interesting (like the climax to the whole show kinda interesting...) when Ben's ultimate intentions with regard to the Island are revealed... Does ANYONE here really think he's doing what he's doing [i]merely[i/] to "help the island"? I think not!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3234 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-02-13 19:48, Pete Legend wrote:
I have a question and hope someone could answer Smile

Since Rousseau met Jen in the past(due to Jen going back in Time) how come she didn't recognise him years later when they met up again?

no good answer to that other than 16 years and a lot of post-traumatic shock syndrome later -and the fact that they met for less than 15 minutes even then...

Also I think there was only one scene in the whole show where Jin and Rousseau were together in the present, and even that was only in passing...
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
Pete I will hook you up with a possible answer. By the way I'm a V.I.P member on this site and have been for years now, pm me if you join (username is still Pauldela)

ya its on this site somwhere in theorys and its a recent topic, http://www.4815162342.com
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I would think it odd that she would NOT realize its jin. even after 17 years, washing up on a island and finding a korean man, who shortly disappeared might just stick in her mind....

what did charolette say to jin in korean?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
rudy-ray
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of rudy-ray
Quote:
On 2009-02-13 00:30, Donald Dunphy wrote:

This is really sad, I,ve got this album.
Rudy
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1365 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Thanks for replies lads! Smile It is kinda strange that she didn't recognise him but I assume lost being lost would have touched on an explanation that I missed or something Smile

Pauldela that looks like pretty cool site Smile I still couldn't find answer there thoug..any chance of hooking me up? Smile
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Awesome episode. I believe its a lot more like having a dream, viewing the past that you can interact with and that you don't actually change history ie people remembering you...possibly (with the exception of the Desmond memory)
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3234 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I, for one, was HIGHLY amused that the magic trick was called "'Fraidy Cat Rabbit " when, in fact, it wasn't 'Fraidy Cat Rabbit at all!
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2299 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I also noticed they wouldn't even show his face. What's up with that? Did anyone get the hunch that we have not seen the last of Jack's Grandfather?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Last night was kind of weak. She tells them all this stuff, and for the most part they believe it? No real questions? Oh sure, they just used math and some fancy pendulum and you can travel through time...

Whats up with jin?

And frank being the pilot? Reaching.....

And wouldnt he just turn around, did frank want to go back, and possibly die?

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7443 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2009-02-19 11:27, kcg5 wrote:
Whats up with jin?

When I saw Jin in the Dharma uniform, driving the VW van, carrying the gun, I wondered, "When are we?"

Remember, in the season opener, we saw Daniel in the bottom part of the Orchid back in the 1970s (he was in there the same time as it was being built by Dr. Chang), but they haven't made reference to it again.

It could be Jin is blending in with the Dharma people from some Dharma period, as are the other survivors who are time travelling. After all, we saw Daniel blending in to the Dharma people in a different time period (or, maybe Daniel was in the same time period as Jin is now in???) Just a wild guess.

And also, did they all stop time travelling, and are stuck at a certain point in the past on the island, because of Locke turning the wheel?

- Donald

P.S. re: Magician on last night's show. No, it wasn't a Fraidy Kat Rabbit. I caught that, too. Smile

When we saw the magician with his rabbit, at Jack's Grandfather's resthome, I wondered if the rabbit had a number on it's back. Some of the rabbits from the island had numbers on their backs, and the survivors were told not to eat them (this is from a previous episode... I don't recall which one). It was implied they had been used for experiments.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Good thoughts on Jin. I like how Hurley reacted when he saw the van he had drove in a earlier episode. I had the same thought about the numbers with the rabbit.

(jack might not want to dive head first into a large pond next time)

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7443 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
BTW, the van last night was a new VW van, and also Jin's Dharma uniform is a new uniform. New, as in not "old" / "worn". I read that detail on the ABC / LOST episode recap webpage.

- Donald
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3234 Posts

Profile of gaddy
The episode did have some weak points, to be sure. I'll be nonplussed if the fate of the airplane they were in is not discussed in greater detail. The fact that they were, "all of a sudden just there" was not good and clever at all. It was all just a little too convenient, given the range of emotional responses the various survivors displayed about the thought of returning.

Best line of the episode: "You're the one who got to stay after school with Mrs. Hawking!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Lost (again) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL