The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Invisible Palm and Open Travellers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Here is a first basic list. Naturally like every list it's incomplete.
What reference is missing?

Bilis Bernard: Nouvelles notes de conférence : an excellent version with the spectators in mind rather than the performer’s ego. Technically very good.

Chretien, Yannick: DVD Download http://www.close-up-magic.com/shop/ ***

Finley, Arthur (USA: fl.1920s-40s) Had invented the Tent Vanish sleight by 1941. Commercial artist in New York City, Finley, an amateur cardman by the mid 1920s, was one of the 5 original members of the New York "Inner Circle" by 1932.

Harris, Paul: Las Vegas Close Up 1978 p. 26 to 41. The P.H. Invisible Palm. Very good but inferior to the improvements by Steve Spilman & Art Of Astonishment Volume 3 book. The P.H. Invisible Palm

Houchin, Wayne: Invisible palm: His technique is classic but his patter is nice: first he explains the suspicion (Juan Tamariz Magic way) that the card goes up the sleeve across the chess and then down the other arm to join the first one (first effect) The replacement of the ‘palmed card’ is perfect no side movement; His packet switch is correct on the timing. Then he show that when a card is palmed it always sticks out somewhere unless you can do it invisibly (second effect) by squeezing the card (“and it looks like it’s gone, you can be natural with this). The replacement of the ‘palmed card’ is perfect no side movement. There are small mistakes in the handling of the double (one adjustment movement before tabling and timing fault in the In Transit which is otherwise well thought out).

Hamman, Brother John: Kern

Jay, Joshua:

Jennings Larry: Expert Card Mysteries 1969 by Alton Sharpe. Ed. Alan Keith. p. 41 to 44. Jenning’s Open Travellers. Presented as a completely new method to effect an ace assembly For the first time, the method requires palming & The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings. 1986 Ed. L & L Publishing p. 144 to 149 Open Travellers is presented as the cleanest method for each and every ace effect. Larry’s original performance can be seen at http://furniturecorner.blogspot.com/2007......ers.html

Kaufman, Richard. Le Magicien 1994 N° 137 p. 4724 to 4726. L’empalmage Invisible. This no palm version derives from Bruce Cervon’s method. It was assembled by Gene Maze and Richard Kaufman.

Kenner Chris: Totally Out Of Control, 1992 by Richard Kaufman and Alan Greenberg p. 40 to 45: Travlrs 1. Thanks to a Clear double stik tape, the effect gains directedness in the handling of the extra card.

Luka, John: Reel Magic Quarterly - Episode 3 Off the Shelf John Luka présente son nouveau livre, Uncovered, puis présente et explique son fantastique effet “The Invisible Palm”

Lyle, Christopher : Youtube no explanation for the last card. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiKTKh5gPbw Same good patter as Wayne Houchin but the last card is beyond understanding.

Marlo, Edward. The New Phoenix 1962 n° 375, décembre 1962, page 329. The Open Travelers.

Miesel, William M. The New Phoenix 1961 n° 362, p. 277 et 278. Invincible. It’s the same effect than the classic four ace trick except that, this time, the aces are no longer covered by three other cards. First version of the invisible palm.

Malone, Bill: On the Loose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HGXbswQDsU several good points in this one: the handling of the double card on the table and in the hand at the same time; the Tenkai palm add on as the other cards are turned over avoids the packet switch: the last card isn’t as good.

Owen, Anthony: The Dungeon DVD Caravan Travellers – Anthony Owen’s super-clean handling of Larry Jenning’s classic Open Travellers.

Rusli, Kent: Invisible palm: steal of the first card with the gambler’s cop but without real In Transit action. Like every other routine using the Ascanio spread, the spread is not a fan and this is bad. The laying down of the card is poor compared to other performers. The space management for the switch is fine

Sanvert, Jean-Jacques: Le Magicien 1993 p. 4477 to 4479 Sous les bandelettes de l’homme invisible [Under the invisible man’s bandages]. At the end the four aces change into a royal flush. & Best of Jean Jacques Sanvert - World Champion Magic DVD 2008 by L&L Publishing Vol 2 Invisible Flush Palm offers a startlingly new climax At the end the four aces change into a royal flush.

Spilman, Steve. Expert Card Chicanery 1976 compiled by Alton Sharpe. Ed. Alan Keith. S. S. Pages 57 to 59. Addition to Open Travellers brings two new veryy smart moves to the effect.

Stone, David: Real Secrets of Magic DVD Vol 1 2006 by Jean-Luc Bertrand. Traveler. & Les vrais Secrets du Close Up. Vol. 1. A nice version adding a surprising finale where the Kings become aces. David credits Larry Jennings (Open Travellers), Yannick Chrétien (Ultimate Traveler) and J. J. Sanvert (Invisible Flush Palm).
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4635 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
This cannot be said enough-

Thank you for all the work you've been doing, on this topic and others.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for all sorts of FREE VIRTUAL PROGRAMMING for magicians!
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Ditto! However, I've never been too big of a fan of this plot and hence I do not do the effect. Perhaps I'll eventually get around to trying a version of this plot.
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
YES! Thanks so much for ALL you contribute!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4399 Posts

Profile of Paul
I had a version on "The Paul Hallas Files Vol 1" video (1989)called, if I recall, "Disguised Travellers". It concluded with the aces changing into kings. You start with just the aces and no deck comes into play. A pretty standard handling and patter angle borrowed from Harris's "Discount Deck".

A later suggestion for it which included a Himber wallet was detailed in "Dungeon" magazine. Anthony Owen later suggested the use of "Sticky Stuff".

Cody Fisher also has a marketed gaffed version of the plot called "Las Vegas Aces", ad copy below.

Las Vegas Aces

Every magician knows that ‘gambling routines’ are always popular with any lay audience. The problem with most gambling routines is the fact that you usually have to deal out hands of cards. For the ‘strolling magician’ with little or no table space, these types of routines are not very practical…UNTIL NOW!

Cody is finally releasing one of his most popular routines. This is straight from his personal arsenal of strolling magic effects. Long unavailable due to the nature of the gaff, Cody has finally been able to produce the necessary card that makes this routine possible.

The Effect: In an effort to expose the secret techniques of Las Vegas gamblers you magically cause the four aces to travel invisibly from hand to hand. The last ace is magically rubbed through the volunteer’s hand!

Yes you got -- this is Cody’s KILLER version of “The Open Travelers.” What was once a very sleight intensive routine is now almost self-working. There is absolutely no sleight of hand or secret palming. Make no mistake about it; this routine is a real fooler!

Paul.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-01-30 12:57, cinemagician wrote:
Ditto! However, I've never been too big of a fan of this plot and hence I do not do the effect. Perhaps I'll eventually get around to trying a version of this plot.


In fact, I don't like the plot either and this is why I'm reworking it. My idea is that the plot is flawed because it is provocative (the magician doesn't share any dream, he just demonstrates that he is stronger than the spectator)

From this I want to build the routine as something making people dream that their life could be better if it could exist.

So when we don't like a trick, maybe it's not technical (this one can really be a marvel) but it's the story or the plot (I know you can make the difference)

Thus let's try and place the effect on a different trail and search for great plots and great emotional stories as compact as a very good filmed advertisement
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-01-30 14:07, Paul wrote:
I had a version on "The Paul Hallas Files Vol 1" video (1989)called, if I recall, "Disguised Travellers". It concluded with the aces changing into kings. You start with just the aces and no deck comes into play. A pretty standard handling and patter angle borrowed from Harris's "Discount Deck".

A later suggestion for it which included a Himber wallet was detailed in "Dungeon" magazine. Anthony Owen later suggested the use of "Sticky Stuff".

Cody Fisher also has a marketed gaffed version of the plot called "Las Vegas Aces", ad copy below.

Las Vegas Aces

Every magician knows that �gambling routines� are always popular with any lay audience. The problem with most gambling routines is the fact that you usually have to deal out hands of cards. For the �strolling magician� with little or no table space, these types of routines are not very practical�UNTIL NOW!

Cody is finally releasing one of his most popular routines. This is straight from his personal arsenal of strolling magic effects. Long unavailable due to the nature of the gaff, Cody has finally been able to produce the necessary card that makes this routine possible.

The Effect: In an effort to expose the secret techniques of Las Vegas gamblers you magically cause the four aces to travel invisibly from hand to hand. The last ace is magically rubbed through the volunteer�s hand!

Yes you got -- this is Cody�s KILLER version of �The Open Travelers.� What was once a very sleight intensive routine is now almost self-working. There is absolutely no sleight of hand or secret palming. Make no mistake about it; this routine is a real fooler!

Paul.


Thank you Paul. You're always a great resource to the café.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Good list. Couple of notes. Trying to think of sources that changed the approach or were more significant.

Somewhere mention needs to be made of Bill Meisel who inspired the whole thing initially. Don't recall the source or name of his routine off the top of my head and I'm not near my library.

"Jenning's '67" by Kaufman has several variations and takes you through Larry Jennings' thinking.

"Card Finesse" by Racherbaumer has a Marlo four card handling.

"Here's my Card" by Allan Ackerman contains "Open Travelers" and brings his contribution with a bluff to eliminate one palm. This idea has been used by many since.

"T.K.O.'s" by Don England expands on the Ackerman idea. Don't recall the name of his routine.

Hope that helps.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Lawrence, thanks for all of your hard work. I am a fan of this effect. I will definitly be looking into some, if not all, of the above references.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Kevin Wiese
View Profile
Regular user
Richmond, Va.
187 Posts

Profile of Kevin Wiese
Also take a look at Jack Parker's "Traveling Without Moving" from Genii Magazine, June, 2006.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Good point but this means that it should be posted in Secret Session.
The question is whether classifying by categories (and sub categories) of sleights is not confirming the misbelief that the technique is the major ingredient in a trick.
The good point however is that by classifying (which I'm doing in my technical notes which I cannot publish since they are not my intellectual property) it helps making effects more direct, reopening space to add script showmanship and misdirection

In this effect for example Wayne Houchin and Chris Lyle prevent the effect of being repetitive for the the first passage announces the plot without announcing the story: the first magical transfer is following Juan Tamariz's Magic Way by explaining that some people think that the card can go up the sleeve go across the chest by some mechanical system and go down the other sleeve. Now the spectator has not yet seen the invisible palm: it's going to be less repetitive with only the palm once and the confirmation that it is invisble then.

Then the technical handling of double, as another example, inheritated more from Ascanio and Raphael Benatar than any other routine (that I knew of) in Bernard Bilis and Yannick Chrétien. Very casual, very light.

But your point remains valid because it would help further if people could get a non biased opinion on the quality that each technical types of subtleties bring to the effect.

I don't mind doing it but then you will admit that I must first check that I did not omit some important routines or authors.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10844 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
ETIENNE YOU SHOULD BE ON THE V.I.P. LIST
YOUR WORK ON THE Café IS SECOND TO NONE
VINNY

sorry for the caps but I wanted to shout
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Thks Viny,
If what I try to share with other magicians succeeds having a Very Important Purpose in the café, it's good enough. The title, as a person, would be a nice consecration but only secondary. My ambition is in fact bigger and aims at contributing to very slightly help magic in getting deeper in the entertainment field, and I think that the task was already started by people like Al Schneider, Darwin Ortiz, Pete Biro, Bill Palmer, Big Daddy Cool, and the ones who think about what magic really is about (eveen when they don't fully agree...)
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Kevin Wiese
View Profile
Regular user
Richmond, Va.
187 Posts

Profile of Kevin Wiese
Correction to my post above: The Jack Parker routine I had in mind was "Final Palm" from the June, 2007 Genii
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Quote:
On 2009-01-30 14:29, Lawrence O wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-01-30 12:57, cinemagician wrote:
Ditto! However, I've never been too big of a fan of this plot and hence I do not do the effect. Perhaps I'll eventually get around to trying a version of this plot.


In fact, I don't like the plot either and this is why I'm reworking it. My idea is that the plot is flawed because it is provocative (the magician doesn't share any dream, he just demonstrates that he is stronger than the spectator)

From this I want to build the routine as something making people dream that their life could be better if it could exist.

So when we don't like a trick, maybe it's not technical (this one can really be a marvel) but it's the story or the plot (I know you can make the difference)

Thus let's try and place the effect on a different trail and search for great plots and great emotional stories as compact as a very good filmed advertisement


Interesting. I can only submit that the magician is inherently stronger than the audience. I further submit that this is always the case and is true for any performer of any kind. The audience doesn't want to listen to a singer who doesn't sing better than most of them or watch a dancer who can't dance as well as them. The performer is always better at what he or she does than the audience, otherwise, what's the point?

The plot is that cards somehow disappear from here and mysteriously appear over there. I don't find that in and of itself provocative, if by the word you mean challenging in some kind of offputting way. In fact, I've long been of the opinion that of all the card effects where something physically impossible happens to the cards, the Open Travelers is the single strongest effect at our disposal.

If, for some reason, you and Cinemagician don't like the plot, well, that's okay. I don't think, though, that it's the fault of the plot. There are many magicians who also don't like sponge balls. That doesn't make it a lousy trick. In fact, it's still one of the very best.
Doctor D
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
I would also like to submit Tom Stone's version The Forbidden Palm, published in his e-book Random Walk. It does not revolve about supposedly palming cards, rather about turning them invisible.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Quote:
On 2009-01-30 15:04, vinsmagic wrote:
ETIENNE YOU SHOULD BE ON THE V.I.P. LIST
YOUR WORK ON THE Café IS SECOND TO NONE
VINNY

sorry for the caps but I wanted to shout


Just would like to second this!
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Axelchen
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
397 Posts

Profile of Axelchen
...and another source:
John Mendoza explains his version of this effect in The Book Of John (vol.1) under the topic of The D´Amico-Spread (perhaps on his dvd-series, too?)(i would judge, quite easy and quite clean version; although, after the first travel the cards are put together, what, to some people, narrows down the effect and handling a little bit.

Thank you, Etienne, merci beaucoup, for this list, and of course, I support the suggestion from godfather!

Axel
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-01-30 17:11, Open Traveller wrote:

Interesting. I can only submit that the magician is inherently stronger than the audience. I further submit that this is always the case and is true for any performer of any kind. The audience doesn't want to listen to a singer who doesn't sing better than most of them or watch a dancer who can't dance as well as them. The performer is always better at what he or she does than the audience, otherwise, what's the point?

The plot is that cards somehow disappear from here and mysteriously appear over there. I don't find that in and of itself provocative, if by the word you mean challenging in some kind of offputting way. In fact, I've long been of the opinion that of all the card effects where something physically impossible happens to the cards, the Open Travelers is the single strongest effect at our disposal.

If, for some reason, you and Cinemagician don't like the plot, well, that's okay. I don't think, though, that it's the fault of the plot. There are many magicians who also don't like sponge balls. That doesn't make it a lousy trick. In fact, it's still one of the very best.


First I never meant or say that the plot makes it a lousy trick. You might have read my post a little bit emotionally.

I cannot speak for Mark but my point is that if I agree with you that "the magician is inherently stronger than the audience". He can misuse his force to blast his ego by expressing domination, or he can put this force at the service of the audience's imagination.

I find that showing people that we can palm a card without them seeing it, turning our hand face up to prove it, and they still cannot see it, IS challenging, especially when immediately we show that the card they were not able to see can be deposited. I love the plot, not the attempt at dominate (I've learn with age that the people who need to dominate express a feeling of insecurity - and this is in no way a comment concerning you personally).

I still love the plot (impossible travel) but not the story (I can steal a card right under your nose and you're idiots because even when I turn my hand palm up THREE CONSECUTIVE TIMES: you still cannot see it)

We are many (and they're all much more famous than me) to think that challenge kills magic. Read Darwin Ortiz, Dai Vernon, John Carney, Bill Palmer, Whit Haydn, Pete Biro, Al Schneider... just to name a few.

The name of the game is to make people imagine they share our illusory power and and that it feels good to think they could, on an other planet, do that.

Now that's just me... (and a few others), but there is more than one way to skin a cat and feel free to show that you are inherently better than your audience.
I've been performing for Nobel prices, Presidents of States, visionary business men, so it would be a bit ridicule for me to express domination over these people: entertain them, yes no problem... And (this is again personal) when I do a trick for someone more modest, I like to think that I'll show him as much respect as I would for god himself.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
ladirector
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of ladirector
If you "demonstrate" how gamblers and card sharpes "palm" cards, but say as a precautionary measure you've made the card "invisible," but it's actually there, even though your hand "looks" empty, and the card becomes "visible" when you place it down magician, do you still view this as a challenge?

Couldn't this be interpreted as something peculiar about the way the cards are handled. I always thought that was the basic premise of this effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Invisible Palm and Open Travellers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL