We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo Elite » » Blue Crystal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4154 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
The announcement that this was going to be part of the initial product line caused me to pull out my old Blue Crystal prop sitting in my magic closet.

I'm curious though why you made the decision to continue making the surface of the crystal out of plastic and not glass? Maybe it has to do with the mechanics of the device, but if you're going to go Elite, you might as well go all the way...


Posted: Jan 30, 2009 8:08pm
------------------------------
As I was playing with my Blue Crystal, I tried a little experiment.

I placed a drop or two of water on the crystal and made it lower into the box. It looked... interesting... to say the least.

For a bizarre angle, I suppose one could use red food-colored water as "blood" that has a strange effect on the "crystal."
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5556 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2009-01-30 20:08, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
As I was playing with my Blue Crystal, I tried a little experiment.

I placed a drop or two of water on the crystal and made it lower into the box. It looked... interesting... to say the least.

For a bizarre angle, I suppose one could use red food-colored water as "blood" that has a strange effect on the "crystal."


Wonderful! Very interesting!!

Philemon, thank you so much for sharing.

Based on the above idea/ experiment by Philemon, how about . . .

1. Placing a small cube of real ice (clear/ transparent)?

2. Placing a small brilliant cut artificial diamond or ruby stone? - For your sweet Smile

Just a thought.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1620 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Would you be offering Paul Harris's book with this ?
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
344 Posts

Profile of dragonash
It's probably late in the game to be making a change to the product. I shall offer this as a suggestion to owners and potential owners of either version.

There is a piece of blue plastic used to create the illusion of a coin penetrating the surface. By drilling a hole in this, I use it for the penetration of a pencil or pen. It is almost angle-proof.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16938 Posts

Profile of joseph
I think this would be my first elite purchase, since I owned the original...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5556 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2009-07-13 12:50, dragonash wrote:

It's probably late in the game to be making a change to the product. I shall offer this as a suggestion to owners and potential owners of either version.

There is a piece of blue plastic used to create the illusion of a coin penetrating the surface.

* By drilling a hole in this, I use it for the penetration of a pencil or pen. It is almost angle-proof.


With due respect, I would kindly disagree with your idea of drilling a hole in the platform. It defeats the basic idea & purpose of this wonder illusion.

Yes, a drilled hole can be useful and can serve as additional uses with this wonder prop, but not as suggested by you. The drilled hole should be covered with a spring loaded plug (similar to the good old cigarette/ pencil thru quarter gimmick coin) made of the same material.

However I would prefer to keep the Blue-Crystal as is.

Just a differed opinion. Smile

Smile
P.S. Still waiting for the Elite Version . . . Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1071 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Quote:
On 2009-11-15 11:09, Ustaad wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-13 12:50, dragonash wrote:

It's probably late in the game to be making a change to the product. I shall offer this as a suggestion to owners and potential owners of either version.

There is a piece of blue plastic used to create the illusion of a coin penetrating the surface.

* By drilling a hole in this, I use it for the penetration of a pencil or pen. It is almost angle-proof.


With due respect, I would kindly disagree with your idea of drilling a hole in the platform. It defeats the basic idea & purpose of this wonder illusion.

Yes, a drilled hole can be useful and can serve as additional uses with this wonder prop, but not as suggested by you. The drilled hole should be covered with a spring loaded plug (similar to the good old cigarette/ pencil thru quarter gimmick coin) made of the same material.

However I would prefer to keep the Blue-Crystal as is.

Just a differed opinion. Smile

Smile
P.S. Still waiting for the Elite Version . . . Smile


I agree, bad idea. Part of the performance requires the spectator to touch the surface of the plastic to verify it is solid. Putting a hole in the plastic would defeat this "proof". Otherwise it is just a cool optical illusion.
Kevin Gardner
View Profile
Regular user
Richboro, PA
177 Posts

Profile of Kevin Gardner
I'm looking forward to patter the will accompany the Blue Crystal. How will the prop become more than just a puzzle or a toy?

Looking forward to adding the prop to my collection.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5556 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2009-11-15 21:50, Kevin Gardner wrote:
I'm looking forward to patter the will accompany the Blue Crystal. How will the prop become more than just a puzzle or a toy?

Looking forward to adding the prop to my collection.


Yes, the effect lacks an effective patter/ storyline.

Anybody who has come up with a nice patter?

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
344 Posts

Profile of dragonash
Quote:
On 2009-11-15 11:09, Ustaad wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-13 12:50, dragonash wrote:
<snip>
There is a piece of blue plastic used to create the illusion of a coin penetrating the surface.

* By drilling a hole in this, I use it for the penetration of a pencil or pen. It is almost angle-proof.

With due respect, I would kindly disagree with your idea of drilling a hole in the platform. It defeats the basic idea & purpose of this wonder illusion.
<snip>

My apolgies for being unclear. I am referring to the extra blue piece of plastic -- not the platform itself.
It is used to cover the coin when the perfomer sinks it into the device. It provides a blue color to enhance the illusion of the coin inside and it protects against curious fingers before the performer has the opportunity to react.
By adding a hole, this piece provides a reference "surface" so the depth of the penetrating cig is more evident.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo Elite » » Blue Crystal (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL