The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Six Bill Repeat Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
211 Posts

Profile of Tate
I've been thinking about performing the Six Bill Repeat and came up with two ideas. I was wondering if anyone has done tried something like this before, since it (now) seems fairly obvious to me.

First, because I'll be doing this for a large group, I'll use the Ed Harris Mystery Dollars. I've had this for years. The bills are large, easily seen, and I can give them away after the performance. Heck, I could give them away DURING the performance as I toss them away.

Second, the six bill repeat, as most people do it, just doesn't have much of a finish. I remember a Paul Diamond bit where a regular-sized dollar bill turns into a jumbo. I'm thinking of blowing up a Harris bill to about double size and turning the last bill of the routine into a bigger bill - with a bigger denomination.

What do you think?

Tate
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sounds good... try it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Montana Santa
View Profile
New user
Montana
15 Posts

Profile of Montana Santa
Find a way to tie the switch from the repeat six to the big bill with the denomination switch and you might find a winner
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2512 Posts

Profile of John Long
I like the idea of doing a 6 bill repeat under the premise of "If I were a real magician". I could keep producing money, toss it into some receptacle, and and the end, conclude that "well, I'm not a real magician", and show that all the bills are now gone. I just never came up with a good way to make them all disappear. Has any one made a "magicians Change-Hat"?
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Hey John that's EXACTLY what I'm doing...I don't use a change hat but I vanish all the bills at the end. It gives an otherwise end-less routine an ending.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2512 Posts

Profile of John Long
JTW

Like they say, great minds think alike - at least I'm assuming you are, also, a great mind Smile

So who have you performed this for, and how was the response? How long does the routine last?

I've not performed this yet. The 6 bill repeat was part of a routine that I've played with. The idea was to initially produces a silk (via TT), then a continuous coin production from a silk (ala Wilson's Complete Course), then the bills. On my own, I also hum to the tune of If I were a rich (magician) man, yaba daba, duba.. I don't think that part of the routine will go anywhere but the cutting room floor.

Can you tip the reference for the vanishing of the bills?

John
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
The six bills repeat has to do with throwing money away and still have some. This means that it is not a bill production effect. For the effect to have some magical credibility with the audience, the Jmbo effect seems to me to get too far from real life "being rich", you may want to replace it by something more "realistic".

Since the problem of the six card repeat or the six bill repeat is that it lacks a climax (hence your jumbo idea probably) you could consider rollingthe bills into a tube and wiht a one arm bandit gesture make a huge pile of coins fall from within the roll. It would be more consistent with the first part of the effect where you are tossing money away and still remaining rich.

For the first part, ou may want to adapt the mental attitude of Senator Crandal's six card repeat routine (look into Tarbell) which was until a few years nicely performed by Al Cohn. It's very free, deliberate, humoristic in the gestures and the reasons behind are credible and attractive as well (relationship between money and nice looking girls)
The coins appearing at the end could be presented as cheap coins (tips) or as collectors coins of great value (when paper money goes down, precious coins are worth more)...

In the present economical circumstances, the plot is emotional enough to catch people's attention.

Vanishing money at the end (IMHO) is anti climatic. Psychologically you are presenting a persona that p!sses money away. They get used to that during the routine and psychologically project into the performer (the great guy who's magic enables him to be so careless): a sort of Faustus myth without having to sell your soul to the devil). If at the end the bills disappear you frutstrate them of their dream (IMHO). where you could keep the produced precious coins and give them the paper money. Now for that money that you give away to have some value and for them to kep it (remember Michael Ammar "Making Magic Memorable") have million dollar bills printed and give them away keeping the silver coins.

If that routine is too short fro your act, you could input a paper to bill routine to produce the bills before throwing money through the windows. The first routine to come tomind would naturally be Pat Page/ Fred Kaps routine but in this case to be ready with bills which are free Al Schneider's Himber wallet bill production routine may work as well.

If you are dead set on your jumbo bill routine, Meir Yedid at the 2003 FFFF presented a routine ending with a jumbo bill. At the time I thought that he could have replaced his jumbo bill by a printed silk with a large denomination bill printed on, to tap his 'allegedly) sweating forehead...

Hope this helps
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
DamastaMind
View Profile
New user
Bavaro Beach, Dominican Republic
60 Posts

Profile of DamastaMind
I present the Six Bill repeat the foolowing way:

I start by talking about how easy your salary goes away, I take out my wallet (Himber) take the six bills I have there counting them putting each one of them on a different spectator´s hand (a subtle way of "having them examined with out saying so) while chatting I explain how the money is gone the next second you get hold of it, (how expensive live is, etc...) by now I have casually put the bills back into the wallet and make the turnover move cold right there.

Now is time for the magic as I recount a dream I had some days ago about me getting paid for this gig and then going out with my wife, shopping, paying debts, etc. and how after counting my money I always happened to have Six thousand Pesos! This routine has given me the best reactions from this trick than from just any other I have performed, really! It just appeal to peaople because everybody in my country (specially men) would love to live such and experience.

Well there you have it, this is my Six Bill repeat working routine that I give out "Gratis" for you fellow magicians, Enjoy!

Rey "Damasta" Mejía
The MIND is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure.
Who can understand it?

Jeremiah 17:9
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Lawrence EXCELLENT post...I would agree that vanishing the bills would be anticlimactic that is if there is no context for it.

I got the idea of vanishing the bills from Jeff Hobson and a "Jap Box" (I don't know a politically correct term for the box). I use a standard script for effects like this (pestering an older magician to teach me the trick). At the conclusion the "older magician" refuses to teach the trick because he has no money left, the younger character points to the box and says "use some of that". The older magician replies "My boy I have no idea what you're taking about" picks up the box puts his arm through and shows the money has vanished.

I have performed this at my regular gig at Walt Disney World. The routine lasts between 5- 5 1/2 minutes. The response is varied. Some nights it rocks other nights- I'll be honest the routine dies. I haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong...

Lawrence I like the idea of giving away fake million dollar bills...maybe from a box that says "To the United States" then under it "With Love, CHINA"

too Political maybe...

I'll look into the Senator's version. Interestingly a juggler friend of mine said the best version he had seen was by a Senator...he couldn't remember the last part of the name. Hmmmm
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2512 Posts

Profile of John Long
Rey

I don't have Himber (or Z) wallet, but was interested in how many bills it could hold/exchange.

John
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
262 Posts

Profile of tstark
The funniest version of the 6 repeat premise was that of Senator Crandall who used a paper plate in his left hand to count the cards onto. What was funny in his presentation was not the lines but the attitude. In all other versions that I have seen the counting of the cards to be thrown away was deliberate. In Senator Crandall's version he did not notice the cards falling from his hand as he gestured with that hand but he generally had 6 left (at one point he counts 3 and then counts 6 again). It is difficult to describe in print but if you have access to Bill McHilhany's video series you can find a performance there. It can also be seen on one of the Magic Ranch videos from Bill.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I noticed that Diamond's magic has the 6 bill repeat with $3 bills. It's cheap and looks like it would be fun.

I do bill switches while mentioning that I'm a beginner and haven't gotten all of the bugs worked out. A similar theme might work for the 6 bill repeat.

http://diamondsmagic.com/product_info.php?products_id=9502
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
I am glad I came across this forum. What is the best source to learn the 6 bill repeat for someone who has never done it? Thank you,

Jason
ricardo carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of ricardo carpenter
I don't perform these tricks so maybe it's silly:
have a finish with extreme burn in an indirect way: you throw a last bill but you end with 6 totally different bills.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2512 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2009-04-09 14:13, Magicjg wrote:
I am glad I came across this forum. What is the best source to learn the 6 bill repeat for someone who has never done it? Thank you,

Jason

I don't know if its the best source, but it is in Wilson's Complete Course.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
7952 Posts

Profile of funsway
You can use a Change Cap from the beginning and tell a story of always being asked to toss some money into "the hat" for various silly reason -- donations for the boss at work, "save the warthog", whatever. Fortunately, your generosity is paid off by always having money when you need it. Even after you give all of you money away you wind up with ... whatever you want to switch for -- maybe a picture of your wife!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
defconskylude
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of defconskylude
Here's a thought.

What about hiding the extreme burn trick in the last gaff?

Perform the 6 bill repeat and end it with extreme burn change to $100's.

Last gaff would have to be folded though.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21183 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I must disagree with the comments on the vanish of the bills at the end does not work. I have been doing the 6 bill repeat for 40 years, and about 20 years ago I discovered a very cheap cardboard Jap Box called the Korean Box (It folds flat). I used it for the climax for many years. I always gets 'gaps' from the audience. I do the classic Tom Boyer's routine from the original Sterling instructions.

I have bought every 6 Bill repeat on the market looking for new handling and routine ideas. Nothing beats the original for me.

I wanted to improve the Korean Box so I spent a lot of money on a large Jap Box. Surprisingly it 'falls dead', for some reason, the spectators don't respond to the nicely made Jap Box. I therefore, returned to the Korean Box and it again gained the response I experience previously.

The large bill transportation has been marketed by Repro '71 magic productions in England as far back as the late 1970's. I wanted to try this climax but I have not found a good bill transformation as of yet.

Six Bill Repeat does have a Climax, it is in the delivery of the final Patter lines.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
TedLashley
View Profile
Regular user
El Campo, TX
197 Posts

Profile of TedLashley
What exactly is a "Korean Box"? Who sells (or sold) them?

TED
defconskylude
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of defconskylude
Any other suggestions on performing an ending to this trick?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Six Bill Repeat Question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL