The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » On art and magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MDew
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
125 Posts

Profile of MDew
Lately I've been focusing on using an art theme for my magic. My first hobby was drawing. I loved it. It was my favourite subject in high school. However, once I got into magic, (amongst other reasons) my art has been neglected. I feel now is the time to rekindle my interest in drawing and art in general. I thought that a fantastic way to do this is perform and/or create magic tricks that have an art theme to it. So far, this is my list:

Blown-up Balloon Business Card Trick (currently in the tricks submission queue)
Magnet Card (Jay Sankey)
Oil and Water
Colorise (Jay Sankey)

I know of a couple others that I am considering getting, such as Cardtoon. But I need more suggestions and recommendations. Can anyone help?
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
There are several stage effects that involve drawing/art such as:
Martin Lewis' Cardiographic
Kevin James' Bowl-A-Rama
Sean Bogunia's Note Pad Surprise and Manual Ultimate Sketch Pad
Axtell's Magic Drawing Board, Mini-Magic Drawing Board, Remote Control Magic Drawing Board and Special Effects Board

There are also mentalism effects that involve the duplication of drawings.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
It's a really cool idea. Here's a suggestion that you might find useful...if you haven't already thought of it!

Consider the various Effects possible in magic. Vanishes, Appearances/Productions, Transformations, Predictions, Transpositions, etc.

Now, attempt to come up with an Art themed routine for each distinct Effect possible. It seems to me that generally Art effects seem to cluster around Productions of one kind or another or vanishes. It would go a long way to establish your magic as unique if you diverted onto some of the lesser used effect structures, etc. Good luck,
Brad Burt
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
MDew,
Like you I too enjoy drawing, painting and other artsy works and considered combining art with magic.However, I never did.

The above recommendations are really good!
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
I forgot to mention that Arthur Trace does a manipulation routine involving a painting. I believe he won the IBM stage competition and won 3rd at FISM for manipulation with the routine.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
You can combine art (drawing) with the shadow box illusion that can be very effective.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
MDew
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
125 Posts

Profile of MDew
Gentlemen, thanks for your suggestions! I will look into them.

Are there any tricks that are more suitable for close-up though?
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
There is a version of Martin Lewis' Cardiographic that uses business cards. I can't remember the exact name but it was put out as a single effect DVD. There is a business card trick called the Multi-colored pen which I guess is in a way related to art. It is taught on Greg Wilson's In Action DVDs but I think he credits it to Daryl. If you are familiar with the out to lunch concept then you should be able to create another art related things.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
MDew
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
125 Posts

Profile of MDew
Jeremy,

I have indeed created one effect with the out to lunch concept and I love it.
sruli
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of sruli
Have you ever seen How to Chalk Talk by Tarbell? Not exactly magic, definitely entertainment and something not seen too often these days. I used to see this sometimes when I was a kid, and I loved it.

See this link:
http://www.lybrary.com/chalk-talk-p-460.html

--Sruli
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
When I was a school librarian, I sometimes adapted chalk talk bits to use with an overhead projector and a transparency. The original figure would already be on the transparency in permanent transparency ink. Then I would use a non-permanent (i.e. eraseable) marker to alter the picture into the final image. I took Tarbell's idea of a rabbit in a hat becoming a magician and simplified it by drawing a top hat with two rabbit ears sticking out the opening. The ears became the magician's eyes and I finished the drawing, turning the picture upside down to show the magician full-face. Tarbell's magician had been a profile version. Since the starting image was permanent marker, I could wipe off the finished picture with a damp paper towel and be ready for my next performance.

I think the first chalk talker I ever saw was Roy Williams on the old Mickey Mouse Club. Roy adapted the chalk talk to a pad of paper and what I guess was a grease pencil since Magic Markers(tm) probably came out a little after the MMC was on the air. I borrowed the newsprint pad and marker idea when I was a teacher of German and narrated the talk with German patter for my students.

I can't think of any specific examples off-hand, but I think there have been chalk-talk-ish applications on the web in the form of animated gifs.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
P.S. For magicians who love unusual children's picture books, take a look at David McPhail's _The Magical Drawings of Mooney B. Finch. Mooney has a magic drawing pad and pencil and when he finishes a drawing, he touches the picture and whatever he drew jump off the paper and becomes real. Some very funny bits occur when Mooney is in a predicament and instead of using his magic pencil, he uses his magic eraser...
----- Sonny Narvaez
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
"Cardtoon" Dan Harlan.
"Osterlind Design Duplication System" Richard Osterlind.
"Ron Jaxon's Visual Card Rise" Ron Jaxon.

"The Pothole Trick" Michael Close.
"The Frog Prince" Michael Close.
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Arthur Trace does a manipulation routine called, I believe, Postmodern Art. It is the best example I can think of to combine art with magic. I had the pleasure of seeing it live - a fabulous routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REN-rdP2nU0

Cardtoon isn't going to allow you to express anything artist because the "art" is already on the cards. And few would call stick figures "art." However, you could create your own Cardtoon effects and use your art skills to come up with new animations and routines using the same concept as Cardtoon.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
There is an effect called "Stained Glass" by Adam Grace that might fit youy close-up needs
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
Bold Business by Patrick Kuffs. One of the best effects I do.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Psss... performing magic is "art"

You would like to combine drawing with magic to enchance both arts

Consider this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOhf3OvRXKg

Then Arthur Trace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=897tk9D4jxk

Both of these are amazing pieces to draw inspiration from

I've thought of doing something like was done in the movie "The Illusionist"
Or how to make the paint come "alive" from a dormant black and white state
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
P.s. look not to what "magicians" do but to the larger world of art

That will keep you from looking like any other magician

Think first of the effect (what you want to do).....

Then build the method
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » On art and magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL