The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Influences? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
David White
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of David White
Beginners, who are your biggest influences? What professional excited you about getting started in magic?

I'm curious about this as I'll be writing an article on the subject for a foreign magazine.

Thanks.
MikeyM71
View Profile
Regular user
Chesapeake, OH
153 Posts

Profile of MikeyM71
I was influenced by a magician who did a gig for the vacation bible school attended when I was 9 years old. He was a member of the church and problably did it for free. A hanky vanish, a couple coin tricks, and man, I was hooked.
<BR>Mikey M.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
508 Posts

Profile of Bendy
I'm not a beginner; but I certainly know those who inspired me to get involved with magic. During my childhood, it was Doug Henning and David Copperfield. I never missed any of their specials. My love for those shows caused my Dad to buy me a magic kit for Christmas one year. I don't remember anything else I got that Christmas; but I'll never forget that magic kit.

Then, in my early adult years, I worked with a guy who was a part-time professional magician and whose father was a professional magician. He performed illusions for me at work and I'd never before seen "close-up" magic like that. Wanting to make others feel the wonder and amazement I felt after having watched and/or participated in illusions is what made me move from spectator/fan to actually performing magic.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
David White:

Many magicians started their interest in magic from watching non-professionals, like an uncle or another child.

Bob
eugenio
View Profile
New user
London
12 Posts

Profile of eugenio
I agree with Bob. I was first exposed to magic through close friends of mine (they were self-working tricks).
EuGeNiO
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I am a beginner and I never knew or met anyone who did magic.

I didn't know that you could learn to do magic anywhere until I saw a trick by what appeared to be a regular guy on YouTube. I started searching a little online and quickly ended up right here where I have been helped along by the best.

But before I came here I found some video tutorial material online after Googling for it, which of course was mostly pirated stuff really. I have since spent a small fortune on actually buying books and DVDs, but the first tutorials I knew of were either on YouTube or on downloadable video files. I'm fairly certain that this is a common portal to magic nowadays, although few people will probably admit it.

The first person I saw (also on YouTube) who completely floored me was Lennart Green. That elevated everything to a whole new level of thinking for me.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
skillzilla
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of skillzilla
Erik von markovik got me intrested in magic, I never knew you could learn magic until I found some tutrials and stuff online, after that my biggest influences have been
dai vernon - for obvious reasons
max malini - my idol atm
david williamson
ricky jay
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Not exactly new either (50+years), but Mark Wilson in his Time for Magic days in the 50's is what got me started and through most of my early career he was the primary influence. Next was Harry Blackstone, Sr., who although retired, was a relative of mine and gave me some serious instruction. After that I'd say Tony Slydini and Johnny Thompson were my main influences.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Joseph DR
View Profile
New user
Texas
8 Posts

Profile of Joseph DR
I'm a beginner and for me it is David Ginn. I was looking up clowning books when I came across "Clown Magic" by David Ginn. I checked out some of his routines on YouTube and then bought all his KidBiz DVDs and a few others. I love comedy and kids magic!

Magic has taken my career to a whole new level. I am an elementary school art teacher. I use it as an incentive in class. If they follow directions and clean up on time at the end of class, I will do a trick. I'm also our school's mascot. So each month I put on a 15 - 20 minute magic show for the whole school promoting a character trait (like "Responsibility").

I also have the Tarbell Volumes, Mark Wilson's books, Silly Billy's book and DVD, and several others.
David White
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of David White
Thank you for posting, I appreciate the responses.

If anyone else cares to post, please do so.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Not quite a beginner, but here goes.
My biggest influences are probably Reed McClintock, Christian Chelman, Ricky Jay,
and Teller. There's a lot more magicians that I am a fan of, more than I could ever name at one time, but these guys have really inspired me in the way that they have pushed the boundaries of magic to present unique material.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Not quite a beginner as well, but we all have influence - both now and when we began.

When I began my influences were more celebrity known magicians such as McBride, Burton, Penn and teller... ect...

But as I grew in magic and became familiar with those not in the media limelight, I found my influences to be (and they are my current ones as well)

Gazzo
Cellini
Kozmo
Slydini
Jimmytalksalot
those guys for the street and real world magic

Reed McClintock
Michael Vincent
Banachek
Tommy Wonder
Jeff McBride
for magic in general
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
I've a rather eclectic group of influences... Penn & Teller, James Randi, and Joe Givan are at the top of my list of magical influences-- but there are plenty of non-magical ones as well.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
Cardician99
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland
158 Posts

Profile of Cardician99
Don Alan: Watching his "Magic Ranch" TV shows back it the early 60's.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Paul Daniels piqued my interest many moons ago..
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1311 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I think as kid just seeing people at holiday camps doing magic was always interesting. Then I also watched Paul Daniels magic show. It was one of the special guest that got me into the diablol. My older brother was really into magic so that was always about.

However some one that made me want to perform and make people laugh by any means was Tommy Cooper.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1311 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I almost forgot Jeffrey Durham the Great Soprendo.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Vaughn Ver Steegt
View Profile
New user
Janesville, Iowa
56 Posts

Profile of Vaughn Ver Steegt
Lance Burton and Jeff McBride were the first two that got me interested.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
684 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Lance Burton, Jeff McBride, Richard Osterlind, Max Maven, Penn and Teller, Dai Vernon, and of course David Copperfield.......
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Bill Bixby in "The Magician"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Influences? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL