The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Book recommendation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
I just got this book:
http://www.howround.com/

a must to all math/engineering lovers.

if you didn't realize it yet, I strongly recommend it (if my word is worth something...)

ND.
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
996 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Quote:
On 2009-02-01 15:18, Nir Dahan wrote:
...if my word is worth something...)

I'm wary of many Café recommendations, but a recommendation from Nir
is gold.

Stan
WilburrUK
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of WilburrUK
You can read part of the first chapter before you buy at amazon. (at least you can at amazon.co.uk). Looks interesting.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
It seems from the webpage that the book is all about different mechanical models. It does contain a fair amount of geometry and math.
It urges you to build the models presented and gives you some great historical backgrounds on the necessity of the mechanical inventions.

It also discusses the difference between ideal mathematical concepts and real world engineering requirements which sometimes need not be as harsh as the ideal solution.
e.g. the necessity to come up with a machine that generates straight motion from a circular motion. James Watt developed his linkage which is not a true straight line motion but pretty darn close. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt%27s_linkage
click on the animation at the right to enlarge.

Really cool stuff in this book and I am only at chapter 2!

ND
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Book recommendation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL