The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » The best Sun & Moon routine. (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
The best Sun & Moon routine?
I use Roger Klause's beautiful "Soleil Et Lune" routine, but have someone any tip for another nice routines for Sun and Moon?

-Morten-
mballen11502
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis, TN
202 Posts

Profile of mballen11502
Is there a video of soleil et lune available anywhere...I keep hearing about this routine but I don't know where to see it!
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
Quote:
On 2009-02-01 17:40, mballen11502 wrote:
Is there a video of soleil et lune available anywhere...I keep hearing about this routine but I don't know where to see it!

I have never seen any demo video, but Roger Klause teach it on this DVD :

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/coinventio......b311b22e

If you are a "coin man", I mean this DVD is worth every $$.

-Morten-
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I don't know if it is the best, but Mike Wild, who used to be a member at thecafe, but I have not seen him for a while, have an inexpensive ebook with 4 routines with the Sun&Moon gimmick.I like them.
Here is the link,
http://www.sundragonmagic.com/tavmag.htm

Pablo
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1140 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I certainly won't claim "best" but I do have a couple routines: one called "EZ Triple Wild Coin" and another called "Fidget" that use the sun/moon. The sun/moon coin is a great gaff, underused, and fun to incorporate into existing copper/silver routines. Roger's routine is beautiful.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4099 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Check out the late Geoff Latta's routine on vol 4 of the New York Coin Magic Seminar series on Copper Silver.
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4856 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Gang,
I do have a few routines in print that use a sun and moon coin. Thay are a routine on my Coinjurer dvd ( Winged copper-silver) ! One Routine in my Japan notes. (Triple change wild Pg. 18) And one routine In my Heavy work made easy notes (Still tap danceing pg. 25) Ok thanks so much! Latter gang!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
Mr. David N, You forgot "Triple Change Wild Coin" on your Coinjurer DVD. Smile

Thanks guys, any more?

-Morten-
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
Samoya by Rob Thompson.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4856 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi MortenN,
Thanks man, It's the same routine That is in my Japan notes!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
The Wizard of Hearts
View Profile
Veteran user
Tulsa, Oklahoma
323 Posts

Profile of The Wizard of Hearts
Quote:
On 2009-02-03 22:58, polygonsmagic wrote:
Samoya by Rob Thompson.
d

Is Samoya published anywhere? I've seen the video, but would like to see a print copy.

Thankfully, I've got the Neighbors stuff covered (big grin).
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
What does really diferentiate a Sun and Moon routine from a Wild Coin routine? Naurally I have an opinion but could we define this together? Naturally the best routine can only be the one we design for ourselves having researched the path that smart coin magicians have opened for us and the subtle tools they supplied.

I didn't know about Samoya: where could I see it or read it or buy it?

Here is the summary list of routines I know of. It's pretty short.

Goshman, Albert. Modern Coin Magic by J.B. Bobo The Sun And Moon.

Kaps, Fred (edited by Pete Biro): Fred Kaps Lecture Book 1972 Magic Inc. P 6 Sun and Moon in Spectator's Hand: half and penny exchange in spectator's hand (uses Half, C/S, English Penny [)

Klause, Roger. Richard’s Almanach. Sun and Moon. & COINvention Inaugural Collection DVD. A very clean fantastic routine with a perfect dramatic presentation by its author. The concept of the shell starting over the C/S which is then transferred over the copper coin supplying two C/S coins, and the way it is used, is brilliant and opens unexplored possibilities.

Latta, Geoff: NY coin DVD Copper Silver Vol 4. Sun and Moon. In the bonus section, Geoff presents some good variants around the concept of eclipse. His script would have benefited from knowing better about the conundrum of the sphinx to Oedipus.

Neighbors, David: Coinjurer DVD Winged copper-silver and Triple Change Wild Coin & Japan notes p. 18:Triple change wild & Heavy work made easy notes p. 25 Still tap dancing

Thompson, Rob : Samoya ( ?)

Wild, Mike. 4 illusions with the Sun and Moon. Tavern Magic 2. Total Eclipse, Quantum Mechanics, Premonition V, Equinox.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
There seem to be two different things under discussion here. Some of the routines named above are variations on Albert Goshman's Sun and Moon routine. Others are different routines, with different effects, that utilize the same gaff as the Goshman routine.

The original Sun and Moon routine starts with a very clean transposition of a copper and a silver coin. The transposition is repeated with an uniquely visual aspect, where the silver coin seems to travel from hand to hand in full view. I would submit that these are the defining characteristics of the Goshman routine.

While it's generally a good idea to check on the credits given by Bobo, I must admit that I have never asked whether the routine and the design of the gaff both originated with Goshman. Certainly he was clever enough to come up with these things, and Goshman's "Incredible Marked Coin Transposition" also in Bobo's, seems to be the precourser to the Sun and Moon, but it seems odd that Goshman would take this approach of designing a special gaff, and then having it made, and then never use as much as a ] or a c/s in the rest of his known work.

I think it's also worth noting that Milt Kort's "Protean Coin" uses pretty much the same gaff as S&M, and it appeared in the first edition of MCM, years before S&M appeared in the second edition. Does anyone know the truth?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
Roger Klause's "Soleil Et Lune" routine, is it in printed form anywhere?

-Morten-
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Yes, it appears in Richard's Almanac.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
Okay, thanks Mr. Curtis.

-Morten-
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27143 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Have a look at Hofzinser's trick using the basic gaff.

Then consider what Bob Elliot's routine using the slippery sam combination coin set looks like.

;)

Okay - when you "get" the basic look/feel of the trick - have a good look at what's in Scot's Discovery of Witchcraft and ask yourself what folks were really doing back then.

Then go ahead and check out the recent work offered in the Theory11 product and perhaps also get yourself a magnetic c/s gaff to take the trick full circle.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1169 Posts

Profile of Salby
What exactly is a "Sun & Moon (S/M) Coin Set"??

I have a Hopping Half Set with this S/M coin encompassing a C/S coin (cut down), an English Penny Sh***, and an Expanded English Penny Sh***. Is this the proper S/M set or is it or is it reversed with Half Dollar Sh***'s??

I'm confused with an ordinary S/M coin set consists of.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27143 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What no Bobo's????

Off to secret sessions?

or got a blasted! coin?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1140 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Salby - that's the traditional S/M. The Klause routine requires a variation on that gaff.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » The best Sun & Moon routine. (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL