The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Thoughts on a routine please? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
I am developing a routine based around several tricks.

Ill just dive right into it.

I start off by walking out and introducing myself and handing a spectator an envelope to hold on to, and have him note that it is completely sealed.

Then I go into this.

No Extras
Shadow Coins
4 coin assembly
Gat-About-Coins (2 in the hand one in the pocket)
When do the last Gat about coin, and make then all disappear, I produce a deck of cards in their place.
Then go into an Ambitious card. (Signed)
Then end in a (signed) card to sealed envelope that I handed out in the begining.

____

Then I wanted to do a deck switch, and change the color of the remaining of the deck, so that their signed blue back card, is the only one in a red deck. however I want to do this just at the point where I reveal the card in the envelope.

so 3 questions.

#1. Any ideas on a good way to achieve the deck switch, almost right in front of their faces?
#2. Is the color changing deck in the end just a added overkill which really isn't needed?
#3. Any good/bad comments;/tips on the overall structure of the routine. would be nice.

Thanks a ton
-Derek
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Where are you doing this? In restaurants? Hospitality suites? On platform? At renaissance fairs? Birthday parties?

?
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Private parties in a home, on a close-up table.
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

In that case:

Quote:
#1. Any ideas on a good way to achieve the deck switch, almost right in front of their faces?
#2. Is the color changing deck in the end just a added overkill which really isn't needed?
#3. Any good/bad comments;/tips on the overall structure of the routine. would be nice.

1) Mel Brown's Joker Deck Switch would work well. Tommy Wonder's Deck Switch, if appropriately thought through, would also play.

2) Yes.

3) The entire sequence has a pretty random feel to it, as though you basically selected the routines you felt most comfortable with. For a group of people, I'm assuming 25-30, most of whom are sitting in front of you, you're doing some table magic that can't be fully appreciated, because they have to strain to see the props and what's happening with them. You're also doing a couple of routines back to back that are essentially the same thing.

I would suggest you back up, review the classics, and put some of those in your set. I speak of material like cups and balls, linking rings, color-changing hanks, ropes, etc. These routines are three-dimensional and will play for three or three hundred.
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
Quote:
On 2009-02-02 15:37, DCMagicEnt wrote:

In my opinion, yes.

Quote:

Less is more.

Quote:
On 2009-02-02 16:35, Open Traveller wrote:
1) Mel Brown's Joker Deck Switch would work well. Tommy Wonder's Deck Switch, if appropriately thought through, would also play.

Can you suggest a source and can they be done in a strolling situation? Are there any other requirements, i.e. jacket, gaffs, etc..? Cheers, John.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-02-02 16:35, Open Traveller wrote:
In that case:

I would suggest you back up, review the classics, and put some of those in your set. I speak of material like cups and balls, linking rings, color-changing hanks, ropes, etc. These routines are three-dimensional and will play for three or three hundred.

Listen to Open Traveller
He gave you words of wisdom that I would have tried to formulate.
This is not a routine it's an act. Did you figure out a character and wrote a script for his act? It's the first thing you have to do...
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-02-02 23:08, johnscot777 wrote:

Can you suggest a source and can they be done in a strolling situation? Are there any other requirements, i.e. jacket, gaffs, etc..? Cheers, John.

Mel Brown's can be done out of any pocket, out of a briefcase, or anywhere where the deck, for a moment, logically goes out of sight. While it may have been printed previously, I came across it in, if I remember correctly, the Marlo Magazines. Many magicians have come to associate it with Marlo instead of Brown.

Tommy Wonder taught his in his lectures, and he used it in more than one trick, and in one trick, more than once. Like his cups and balls routine, it's so deceptive that he continually fooled magicians with it even while explaining it. It was designed to be done from the jacket pockets, but it could also be done from the pants pockets in some situations. Check the Wonder books. Word of caution, many magicians think that once they understand the mechanics that they have it, but the switch is as much psychological as it is manual, and it's best done when the situation is carefully crafted for it.

Given that, either switch can be done strolling or anywhere else, and the only requirements are the objects being switched out and in.
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
Thanks! Books of Wonder are my next purchase.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
For sure I would not discourage you to buy and read and re-read the Books of Wonder You may want also want to buy the DVDs because there are limits to what writing can describe. In the DVDs you see Tommy working, you see his audience management in action. It tells you more than many explamantions.

In the book Tommy alternates the tricks with chapters covering his understanding of magic which was real deep. You want get bored for one second but your magic will improve without you fully realizing it

Steal your grand-ma's watch and buy them both
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Thoughts on a routine please? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL