The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » TA: True Astonishment by Paul Harris: Box Set: 9 DVDs + Props (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..15..27..39..51..63~64~65~66~67..70~71~72 [Next]
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Sirbrad I don't understand what's 'working a lot' and 'time issues' got to do with searching for Easter Eggs on a DVD? Surely noone is implying that you need to give up your day job to partake in an easter egg hunt! I work very hard in my day job too - but that's neither here nor there as I took my time to find them gradually over a 2-month period whenever I had spare time. That was part of the fun and challenge - and I for one am glad that the producers of this set of DVDs didn't waste an extra DVD (which probably would have increased the overall cost) just for the bonuses! Very rarely have I seen any other magic DVD set do such a thing!

Quote:
On 2009-08-22 03:06, Winks wrote:
As far as being lazy, please, go suck an egg. I will match my day and week up against anyone for work time.


OK I'll take you up on that challenge. I work from 8AM to 6 PM Mon to Fri and from 8AM to 12 noon on Saturdays. I am a high school teacher and this is my work week (54 hrs weekly). That doesn't take into account the 2-3 hrs assignment marking I do at home after dinner as well as the 3-4 shows (60-mins) each I do every weekend.
AND I managed to find ALL the Paul Harris Easter Eggs!!!!

SO how is YOUR work week?
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Quote:
On 2009-08-21 18:47, sirbrad wrote:
Can't you also access all the eggs just by opening a file on the computer?


Yep!
ALL the files should show up when the DVD(s) are played on a PC.....


Respectfully,
rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah but not everyone cares to go on easter egg hunts so there should be an option for those who want to skip it. I don't mind them, but I am not going to assume my opinion should be universal...

Quote:
On 2009-08-23 09:41, magicbern wrote:
and I for one am glad that the producers of this set of DVDs didn't waste an extra DVD (which probably would have increased the overall cost) just for the bonuses!


I assume you do not teach math. The extras already take up the disk space, which means if they were cut out and put on another disk it would either be the same amount of disks or less, depending on whether or not they maxed out each disk.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Quote:
On 2009-08-22 23:26, sirbrad wrote:
I think they should have included a bonus disk with all of the eggs on ...


I assume you haven't learnt English (which is what I teach). Above is YOUR own starment from an earlier post. This implies ONE MORE DVD on top of the 9 produced. Even MY limited knowledge of maths helps me to arrive at a total of 10 DVDs (9 + 1 BONUS EASTER EGG DVD).

If you had said that the easter eggs could/should have been spread out and included as chapters on the existing 9 DVDs then of course the cost wouldnt have been affected as the total number of discs would have remained at 9.

So your argument and feeble attempt at sidetracking (by poking fun at my maths) is moot.

Quote:
On 2009-08-23 20:17, sirbrad wrote:
...not everyone cares to go on easter egg hunts so there should be an option for those who want to skip it...


Again the point has been conveniently sidestepped. The original poster 'suored' on the TA set and one of the reasons was because he felt deceived by the Easter Eggs (which he could not or did not want to find due to his 'busy' work schedule). However, as others rightly posted, these easter eggs were BONUSES and it was to them (and me) rather silly to neglect the true value of the main items merely because of the perceived 'inconvenience' of finding these eggs.

If he had taken the time to read through the 46 pages of posts for this topic(well actually on the SAME page as his post - i.e. page 45) he would have seen a link to Eziekal Jump's pdfs for ALL the easter eggs.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Wrong again, I implied that there should be a bonus disk with the bonus material on. Not have the eggs on the other disks and on the bonus disk. You are the one stirring the pot simply because you can't take an opposing opinion. Some don't want to play around looking for eggs all day. You are the one that might want to check you spelling again, as if you are going to brag about teaching English you should not make so many Grammatical errors. But I won't go to your level and waste my time. The fact is that some people do not like egg hunting, and want to actually concentrate on the material, as opposed to being distracted and watching around the mushrooms popping up.

Maybe you like that kind of thing, and perhaps you teach 1st grade or lower? But I think including a bonus material DVD would have been far more universally accepted, and probably the same or less disks.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
The problem has NOTHING to do with my level of English (which I am sure is WAY above yours) - it is a matter of neglecting to spellcheck. Anyone who has used a computer will make allowances for that. My critique of you had nothing to do with syntax and lexicon - merely with the connotation of your statement.

For your information, I teach senior high school - but that is neither here nor there. It was YOU who attempted feeble sarcasm by talking about 'teaching' and 'maths' - both of which are totally irrelevant.

Show me an example of magic DVD sets which have included a SEPERATE BONUS disc for the 'easter eggs'. My advice would be to seek the definition for 'easter eggs' when used in the context of footage and extras in DVDs.

It also isn't a matter of 'stirring the pot' - it appears it is you who can't handle written sparring - part and parcel of online forums such as these.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2009-08-24 06:59, magicbern wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-23 20:17, sirbrad wrote:
...not everyone cares to go on easter egg hunts so there should be an option for those who want to skip it...


Again the point has been conveniently sidestepped. The original poster 'suored' on the TA set and one of the reasons was because he felt deceived by the Easter Eggs (which he could not or did not want to find due to his 'busy' work schedule). However, as others rightly posted, these easter eggs were BONUSES and it was to them (and me) rather silly to neglect the true value of the main items merely because of the perceived 'inconvenience' of finding these eggs.

If he had taken the time to read through the 46 pages of posts for this topic(well actually on the SAME page as his post - i.e. page 45) he would have seen a link to Eziekal Jump's pdfs for ALL the easter eggs.


Well again, maybe he doesn't have THE TIME to read 46 pages of posts. Maybe he works 12 hours at a construction site all day doing hard labor, as opposed to sitting behind a desk all day and calling on kids? So he probably has less energy. But whatever dude, debate all you want. I am simply stating my opinion that I would rather one disk of bonus material. I never thought I would see an adult defend an Easter Egg Hunt so adamantly.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Why don't you read the WHOLE post of mine - instead of nitpicking what minor detail you want to forward your so-called 'argument'? In brackets I put page 45. Does that mean that evey member here who reads through all 45 pages of a post are people with nothing better to do? I think this pathetic overgeneralization will offend many members here. I, for one, in my spare time, don't mind reading through many pages of posts pertaining to a topic I am particularly interested in - and Im sure I'm not the only one.

I never thought I would see an adult continue to debate easter eggs too. It does take two to tango.

Posted: Aug 24, 2009 7:12am
As for your hallucination that all teachers do are to sit behind desks and call on kids it shows how little you know about current global pedagogical practices and methodology. Perhaps this is the way YOu were educated, but the field has moved on from there. So sad that these stereotypes still exist in 'modern' America.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2009-08-24 07:05, magicbern wrote:
The problem has NOTHING to do with my level of English (which I am sure is WAY above yours) - it is a matter of neglecting to spellcheck. Anyone who has used a computer will make allowances for that. My critique of you had nothing to do with syntax and lexicon - merely with the connotation of your statement.

For your information, I teach senior high school - but that is neither here nor there. It was YOU who attempted feeble sarcasm by talking about 'teaching' and 'maths' - both of which are totally irrelevant.

Show me an example of magic DVD sets which have included a SEPERATE BONUS disc for the 'easter eggs'. My advice would be to seek the definition for 'easter eggs' when used in the context of footage and extras in DVDs.

It also isn't a matter of 'stirring the pot' - it appears it is you who can't handle written sparring - part and parcel of online forums such as these.



Your feeble attempts are being verbose with all of your unnecessary rhetoric amuses me. Not to mention the fact that your posts wreak of disinterested superiority, and insecurity in your alleged profession. Is class still in session? Is that where you practice your English, arguing with magicians on a forum? LOL! You make a lot of brash and far-fetched assumptions in a lot of your posts. Well I guess you are just a bad typer then, or "too lazy" to spellcheck eh? Apparently you don't know me very well if you think I can't handle written sparring, check out some other forums.

It is OK though, I have been a full-time professional magician for 22 years now, so I don't need to be a wage-slave. Maybe someday when your are a competent enough performer you can also go pro, and not be so miserable and discontent with giving out detentions. I think you need a recess. With that I am done with you as it is obviously a waste of time "schooling" you.

Quote:
On 2009-08-24 07:12, magicbern wrote:
As for your hallucination that all teachers do are to sit behind desks and call on kids it shows how little you know about current global pedagogical practices and methodology. Perhaps this is the way YOu were educated, but the field has moved on from there. So sad that these stereotypes still exist in 'modern' America.


Not really, I just know that your are very defensive and will continue to argue over nothing all day, especially if others do not agree with you. Clever how you are trying to turn the masses against me by twisting my words. Just because YOU have tons of free time don't assume everyone does.

YOU addressed ME first so I responded. Try lightening up some man, this is not 9th grade English class it is an online magic forum. You don't need to try and convince yourself and others how superior you are here because you teach supposedly. Shouldn't you be getting ready for homeroom attendance check? Let's stick to the actual topic, magic.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
You should also loosen up - and I couldn't care less how many years you have been a professional magician as it doesn't make your point of view any more or less persuasive.

Perhaps the best thing to do is for BOTH of us to step away from this and focus on the issue at hand - i.e. magic.

So please consider this as my extending of the 'olive branch'.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Finally we agree on something. By the way I also teach martial arts and magic classes, have for about 20 years as well, so I know there is a lot more at hand than meets the eye. So that is why I dogged ya. I don't mind hunting them, but it would also be nice for an alternative if I did not want, or did not have the time to go searching. But a computer comes in handy for that too as I stated in a post. But some may not have computers at home. I know many who still don't, even though they now seem as common as the phone once was.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Hmmmm. I don't see the point in PH creating two different versions of TA just to address concerns such as yours sirbrad. The main purpose of TA has been achieved (the main effects and content which is readily available from the menus). The decision of including easter eggs can be seen as a design and artistic decision. They had envisioned a fun treasure hunt of sorts and that is what they had gone the route they've gone.

In the end though, it's ok if you didn't like the bonus features being handled via easter eggs and it's quite ok to express your sentiment, just pointing things out to put it all into perspective.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2243 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
I agree that they should have added all bonuses from each disk in the menus of their appropriate discs, but that's not what started all of this. What started all of this was that he sold his set because he didn't know he would have to search for all the bonus material, which he didn't even know existed until he bought it. He actually LOST money selling his set because he received bonuses. There's no way someone would have bought his set for the $300 since they could buy their own set. I wonder how much money he lost, instead of just learning the main material and gaining money with it.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Then they wouldn't have been called Easter Eggs Smile
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Sirbrad, I'm also glad we were able to resolve our differences in an amicable way! Sometimes we get a bit too involved in our 'defence' of our own point of view - and I'm guilty of this myself. Still, perhaps this is part of the nature of online forums - and in now way did I intend to hijack the post.

I guess the old adage needs to be recalled: 'its alright to disagree, but do so in an agreeable way!'

So I will endeavour to do so in future posts - apologies for any offense it may have caused you as I didn't intend for any. I'm sure you feel the same way too and hopefully with this behind us, we can return to the 'magic'.

I concede that easter eggs may not be everyone's 'cup of tea' and perhaps its better for prospective buyers to weigh in the usefulnesss and accessibility of ALL the content in magic DVDs. Still I don't see this happening as these 'bonus eggs' are not always advertised. So its up to reviewers here at the Café (or elsewhere) to make potential buyers aware of these!
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2009-08-24 12:39, kissdadookie wrote:
Hmmmm. I don't see the point in PH creating two different versions of TA just to address concerns such as yours sirbrad. The main purpose of TA has been achieved (the main effects and content which is readily available from the menus). The decision of including easter eggs can be seen as a design and artistic decision. They had envisioned a fun treasure hunt of sorts and that is what they had gone the route they've gone.

In the end though, it's ok if you didn't like the bonus features being handled via easter eggs and it's quite ok to express your sentiment, just pointing things out to put it all into perspective.


I am not create two versions, but I would have rathered there be a bonus disk with material on it. I bought the set for ALL of the material possibly available, but I could do withtout the scavenger hunts if you know what I mean.

Quote:
On 2009-08-24 14:39, PatrickGregoire wrote:
I agree that they should have added all bonuses from each disk in the menus of their appropriate discs, but that's not what started all of this. What started all of this was that he sold his set because he didn't know he would have to search for all the bonus material, which he didn't even know existed until he bought it. He actually LOST money selling his set because he received bonuses. There's no way someone would have bought his set for the $300 since they could buy their own set. I wonder how much money he lost, instead of just learning the main material and gaining money with it.

Well that is a bit extreme, I would never sell a set because of having hidden material. I would just eventually have to find it when I had time.


Quote:
On 2009-08-24 17:46, magicbern wrote:
Sirbrad, I'm also glad we were able to resolve our differences in an amicable way! Sometimes we get a bit too involved in our 'defence' of our own point of view - and I'm guilty of this myself. Still, perhaps this is part of the nature of online forums - and in now way did I intend to hijack the post.

I guess the old adage needs to be recalled: 'its alright to disagree, but do so in an agreeable way!'

So I will endeavour to do so in future posts - apologies for any offense it may have caused you as I didn't intend for any. I'm sure you feel the same way too and hopefully with this behind us, we can return to the 'magic'.

I concede that easter eggs may not be everyone's 'cup of tea' and perhaps its better for prospective buyers to weigh in the usefulnesss and accessibility of ALL the content in magic DVDs. Still I don't see this happening as these 'bonus eggs' are not always advertised. So its up to reviewers here at the Café (or elsewhere) to make potential buyers aware of these!


Yes I agree, it is what it is I guess. Everyone will have a different opinion on a product, and variety is a good thing usually. I express my apologies as well and look forward to more magic discussion.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2243 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Quote:
On 2009-08-24 16:52, kissdadookie wrote:
Then they wouldn't have been called Easter Eggs Smile


Then don't call them easter eggs.


Quote:
On 2009-08-24 20:43, sirbrad wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-24 14:39, PatrickGregoire wrote:
I agree that they should have added all bonuses from each disk in the menus of their appropriate discs, but that's not what started all of this. What started all of this was that he sold his set because he didn't know he would have to search for all the bonus material, which he didn't even know existed until he bought it. He actually LOST money selling his set because he received bonuses. There's no way someone would have bought his set for the $300 since they could buy their own set. I wonder how much money he lost, instead of just learning the main material and gaining money with it.

Well that is a bit extreme, I would never sell a set because of having hidden material. I would just eventually have to find it when I had time.



I wasn't even talking about you. I was talking about Winks.

Quote:
On 2009-08-21 04:08, Winks wrote:
I was one of the earliest purchasers of the set. I soured on it very quickly. Two reasons. First, the Easter Egg crap. I hate that. If I had known in advance it would have been no purchase. As someone above said, it's ok for nonsense and bloopers but not for core material. Second, I purchased from a retailer. That meant, as I found out that I had no access to the forum on Paul Harris's web page. Again, if I had known. Having so soured on it, I also sold it very quickly. Your mileage may vary (and for many it obviously does).
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
I thought by not responding the subject would die, but my name keeps getting brought up. I actually sold the set for $280 - it was early on and there was a large demand. So, I lost $20. As far as Easter Eggs ... I hate them. I refuse to buy any DVD - game, magic, movie or otherwise if I know there are Easter Eggs. If I want to go treasure hunting, then I will get a metal detector and go off into the Superstitions and hunt for the Lost Dutchman. That is my choice. It is not a matter of lazy, it is simply a feature that irks me to the max. If I buy something, give me everything at once. Don't play silly games making me look for something - I don't care if there is a list of where to find them or not. Again, that is my choice.

I have better uses for my time than searching for Eggs. Magic is a hobby - I don't do shows, I don't get paid. I also enjoy model railroading, astronomy, and model building as well as military history. Magic is an adjunct to my life and if its pursuit is going to annoy me, then I will move on to something else. If I had known there were Easter Eggs on TA, I never would have bought it. Once I found out, I determined it had to go. Call it cutting off my nose to spite my face, but that is my choice. Maybe I am the only person in the world that feels this way. So be it. If there are more than just me, then maybe the next DVD producer will think twice before including such hidden features rather than just making them part of the normal menu access. Interestingly enough, I have LOTS of magic DVDs and this is the only one that had/has Easter Eggs.

As far as lazy - ok, I work about a 48 hour week with one day off. It includes counseling, grief, hospital visits and a whole host of other responsibilities for about 225 people. From a personal standpoint (and I am hesitant to include this both because I want no one's pity and second, because I fear someone will make some snide remark about it), my spouse is totally disabled with multiple sclerosis - has been for 9 years. I have to dress her, undress her, help her with normal hygiene, do the shopping, cooking, housework, shopping and other sundry chores. If I don't want to look on a DVD set for Easter Eggs or read through 46 pages of posts on the subject (you people really have the time to do that???) I don't think that classifies me as lazy. I simply have better uses for my time than to hunt Easter Eggs.

Now, enough? OK? BTW, my remark about sucking eggs was intended to be funny pun. Obviously, standup comedy will not be one of my future vocations.

Winks
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Ok, not called Easter Eggs but the ad copy clearly states that they are "hidden cookies." Now, if they were readily available from the menus, they wouldn't be hidden anymore now would they? Point of the matter is that they were designed that way due to a design/artistic vision.
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
I didn't take "hidden cookies" to mean Easter Eggs. I will go do penance now and go watch "The Prestige."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » TA: True Astonishment by Paul Harris: Box Set: 9 DVDs + Props (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..15..27..39..51..63~64~65~66~67..70~71~72 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL