The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » TA: True Astonishment by Paul Harris: Box Set: 9 DVDs + Props (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..16..29..42..55..66~67~68~69~70~71~72 [Next]
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
Thanks for that fine review Oscarf. I still revisit mine from time to time. It brings out the kid in me. Smile
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Oscar, that's a great post. I may disagree with you on some of the effects, but I am in full agreement with your overall take on the set. This line in particular -- "For us older people, who have outgrown, or at least given up on the 'I'm an amazing person and you're not' approach to magic, this whole set is a lesson in maturity and in bringing real joy to people with magic" -- really hit home. You said it better than I could. This too was what I got most out of the set.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
863 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
If you haven't watched it in a while, do yourself a favor and watch the trailer to remind yourself how great this set is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXnStqhGokM

There is more GENUINE joy and astonishment in that trailer than everything else released this year combined. (My favorite is the laugh of the girl at 1:49)
oscarf
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of oscarf
Thanks for the responses folks! I'm really enjoying this thing. I did learn Conjunction since my post and have now littered my desk with my linked former business cards. Not sure I'll ever do it for anyone besides myself, but it's lots of fun. There is just a whole lot of material on this thing, but I think we all agree that the underlying lessons are the real value, or at least the hardest to find elsewhere.

Agree about the trailer too. It was that that tipped me over to buy the set, and it delivered just as promised, in my opinion.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I agree, but I am a young older person,(just made 50!) and I am still immature, as I like to do my kid shows as "look what I can do and you can't"! HAHA nananana!
I'm glad Paul is there to humble me.

ACE
oscarf
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of oscarf
Ace - Congratulations on not let age stand in the way of immaturity! It's a noble goal and it gets a hearty endorsement from me. Besides, you have to trounce those kids while you can Smile - by the time they're 12 or 13, they start gaining on us old guys fast! Smile
magicorik
View Profile
Loyal user
Italia
203 Posts

Profile of magicorik
I need this set.....very nice review Oscar!!
magicorik
View Profile
Loyal user
Italia
203 Posts

Profile of magicorik
Ordered my set!
oscarf
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of oscarf
Quote:
On 2010-01-09 13:13, magicorik wrote:
Ordered my set!

Great! I doubt you will be disappointed. I'm still having a blast with mine, and I have not had a lukewarm response from my audiences yet with any of the TA effects.
IllusionistErich
View Profile
New user
Clarion PA
12 Posts

Profile of IllusionistErich
Come on W-2's!!!!!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I started watching the set again today. There are so many incredible effects on this set. Andrew Gerard's version of Card Warp is one of the best with his final reveal. It's worth carrying the mini stapler. Just filled with gems like this.

This set will improve with age as folks revisit it. There is important work on the disks and for me, there is performing gold on them.

Chris Kavanagh
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jay Buchanan
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
512 Posts

Profile of Jay Buchanan
Smile

I completely agree with you Chris!
Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt. ~ Shakespeare
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Quote:
On 2010-01-11 16:18, IllusionistErich wrote:
Come on W-2's!!!!!

W-2's? I have not gotten one of those in 30 years. Now it is W-9's, and I pay, pay, pay.
Glad I bought the set when it came out. Not only a good tax deduction for a working magicians reference library, but going back to this thread, it has inspired me to take them out and re-watch them! I'm signing off for now, going to enjoy some astonishment moments. I worked a big 3 hour walk around gig last night, pharmaceuticals, at the Marriott. Over 1500 people. I had more than enough material. But I am going to watch TA and see what would fit in with what I do and see what I can add to my arsenal. I'll watch it for inspiration. I'll watch it for presentational ideas, and how I can apply them to what I already do. Thanks everyone. This set is a great reference source I can use the rest of my life.

ACE Smile
QwertyHero
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of QwertyHero
Quote:
On 2010-01-14 01:02, Review King wrote:
I started watching the set again today. There are so many incredible effects on this set. Andrew Gerard's version of Card Warp is one of the best with his final reveal. It's worth carrying the mini stapler. Just filled with gems like this.

Chris Kavanagh

I don't understand why you would want to staple them. It's just Card Warp, stapling them adds nothing I can see. Final reveal? It's the same final reveal as all other card warps I've seen.

This set looks amazingly hyped up too much for me.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-01-14 21:13, QwertyHero wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-14 01:02, Review King wrote:

Chris Kavanagh

I don't understand why you would want to staple them. It's just Card Warp, stapling them adds nothing I can see. Final reveal? It's the same final reveal as all other card warps I've seen.

You have the set?

oscarf
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of oscarf
Quote:
On 2010-01-14 21:13, QwertyHero wrote:

Another way to put that is that the set is nicely packaged, produced, and marketed. That they were able to do so should be a good sign that what's inside is of high quality too.

The funny thing is that the performance styles we are treated to in the set are almost anti-hype. Gentle and again, spectator-centric. The audiences show you what you should be going for in magic, in my opinion.

Of course, it is true that each of us responds intuitively to a performer and/or his/her books/DVDs. We like some and dislike others ... different strokes ... (do we still say that?) ...

I found the TA set inspiring at a number of different levels.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
The staples add a whole new level to the effect. The only logical explanation for a spectator is that you somehow flipped the card inside out while it was trapped inside the other card. If the card is stapled, there's no way that's possible. No it's not necessary but yes it does add to the effect.

TA is a monster of a set.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
PatrickGregoire, well said!

Chris

QwertyHero
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of QwertyHero
Quote:
On 2010-01-15 22:10, PatrickGregoire wrote:
The staples add a whole new level to the effect. The only logical explanation for a spectator is that you somehow flipped the card inside out while it was trapped inside the other card. If the card is stapled, there's no way that's possible. No it's not necessary but yes it does add to the effect.

TA is a monster of a set.

Card Warp is a great trick, there's no doubt about that. I'm certainly not hating on the trick, it's one of my favourites and always gets a great response.

My thinking on the original version was that the spec does see that you somehow flipped the card inside out right in front of their eyes, close up. But the cards were flat and folded, how was that possible. They even inspected all sides before you did it, it's angleproof. It leaves them trying to work out how. If you staple it then they can instantly work out that you must have done it prior to stapling it as the staple now means it's impossible to flip now. They know you can't flip a stapled card. It seems to take away some of the mystery. I also didn't understand the need to hide it in their hands. The initial push out looks great, why hide it?

Maybe we have different laymen in the UK. We rarely see these people who freak out and run around like in the Blaine programmes. Most people I perform to just stand giving a quizzical look trying to work out how you do it.

Another great visual with the card warp is when you hold your thumb on the middle edge and actually start to pull out the card on an angle, clearly showing the whole card warped then flip it over to show the other side warped too. They can see both ends sticking out at the same time. Then you push it back in and do the final reveal to clean it up. Michael Ammar does this version on ETMCM Vol 2.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
I can understand your thinking about the staples on this and I have nothing to say because honestly you have a good point. I don't really agree with you but you definitely aren't wrong in a way.

As for hiding the first and second phases, it makes it more mysterious, it's good theater, it creates curiosity and suspense because they wonder what it is that you could possibly be doing behind that card that could make it turn over on itself. The final phase still has the visual aspect PLUS it's the spectator that does it themselves. That keeps the most special moment at the end, where it should be and it lets them do it. That's a double shock for them. I personally don't like to show the inside card at an angle so they see the half-half card. You're basically ruining the ending where you rip it in half and show it's half-half.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » TA: True Astonishment by Paul Harris: Box Set: 9 DVDs + Props (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..16..29..42..55..66~67~68~69~70~71~72 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL