The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » TA: True Astonishment by Paul Harris: Box Set: 9 DVDs + Props (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..17..31..45..59..70~71~72
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I'd say Paul is definitely "there'. He does the PHoote notes, plus some of the great footage from his Tannen's Stars Of Magic videos in the Easter Eggs..

deputy, I feel the same way when I go back to these.
robfind
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of robfind
I disagree with most posts. This is mostly a rehashing of old stuff. The easter eggs are nothing but a pain in the ^%$ to find. The props are almost worthless except for the pen. I had only paid $125 on ebay and I still felt ripped off. I sold it back on ebay for a slight loss. Enough said.
MichaelMann
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of MichaelMann
I still love this set. I hope he puts out another one.

MM
Raj Suman
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Raj Suman
Quote:
On 2013-12-12 23:06, robfind wrote:
I disagree with most posts. This is mostly a rehashing of old stuff. The easter eggs are nothing but a pain in the ^%$ to find. The props are almost worthless except for the pen. I had only paid $125 on ebay and I still felt ripped off. I sold it back on ebay for a slight loss. Enough said.

I think you have missed the point of this release. It's not meant to be quick tricks and away you go, it's a set that you're meant to spend quality of time with, to contemplate and reflect on. By selling it on so quickly I think you have missed out on some wonderful ideas and concepts that are woven within the content. A shame.

The more I read the reviews, both good and bad, I get the impression that this set is better suited to experienced performers who like to think deeply about their magic. Beginners should get the need for quick fix tricks out of their system before investing here.
websmith2000
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of websmith2000
MagicSquared - great suggestion re SOS. I think this would build the way it should.
websmith2000
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of websmith2000
When I first got the set I was disappointed because Paul wasn't doing the effects but as I spent more time with the set, I grew to really like it. The performances are top notch, a lot of the effects have been polished, there is video if new effects, and Paul's commentary is great!
websmith2000
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of websmith2000
Re SOS, on David Williamson's new set Ridiculous, he shows his revamped version of Color Stunner - he calls it Funner Stunner. Harder but very nice!
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
596 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Project is getting a re-release. Videos are going to be online with a box set for the gimmicks.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S34302
MikeLarkin
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of MikeLarkin
I remember getting it when it came out and it was a special set indeed. There is a lot of great material, though the Easter egg thing ended up being a giant pain. Some of the new effects are actually inferior to their forebears in my opinion (LVL$ for example).

Given you can get the Stars Of Magic and Art of Astonishment sets a lot cheaper makes it tough to say whether it is worth buying now or not as it all comes down to your budget.

One thing I’ll never get is how the Mondo Nifty Invisible Palm is an upgrade to the PH Invisible Palm Aces. It feels like a step backwards.

My advice would be to get then Magic Arts Journal issue featuring his closeup act and work from there. Each effect is great and worth studying. I would probably not want to copy Paul’s presentations though! He had a very idiosyncratic style.
Ampa
View Profile
New user
A Cellar Vault in Berlin
63 Posts

Profile of Ampa
A truly unique set. I received it in the box back then and still enjoy the built-in gimmicks on the DVD. The Astonishment series is a great legacy for all those who perform with cards. Those who, like me, bought the box many years ago may want to consider the condition of the DVDs. I was able to play it with an older drive but strangely not with a newer one. Thanks again to Paul Harris for this wonderful series.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » TA: True Astonishment by Paul Harris: Box Set: 9 DVDs + Props (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..17..31..45..59..70~71~72
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL