The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » TA: True Astonishment by Paul Harris: Box Set: 9 DVDs + Props (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..29~30~31~32~33..41..48..55..62..69..70~71~72 [Next]
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
Quote:
On 2009-02-13 04:45, sirbrad wrote:
Or perhaps the mailmen will be starting new careers in magic soon. Let's hope not, and that they are all not sitting around the break-room watching these. Smile

Lol, I didn't think to this situation. Smile

Dave

PS: maybe it's true Smile
Redsixer
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Redsixer
I have been watching 1 disc an evening, and I just got to Tensegrity. WTF! That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! That will be fun for sure, I will definately be using it. Also the effect right before it...Extraordinary Proof. This one is so simple to perform, and yet fools everybody. As soon as I watched it I tried it on my wife. She had no clue, so I tried it again...and again...and again. She still had no idea what was happening. Then my son and one of his buddies came in, I performed it and they had no clue. I did it again, and my son who knows magic, saw what was happening the second time, but his friend was fried...repeatedly.
don't overlook this simple yet astonishing effect. I love this set!
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
These are a phenomenal set of DVD's! I'm in love with Tensegrity, Ripped and Fryed, Lubor's lens, Extraordinary Proof, Water Trap, Weirdling. There are others I need to take a look at and I still have to watch Discs 8-9. Needless to say, $300 for this set is a steal for what you get. The interviews and the different cookies really complete this set. It's a shame this is PH's final legacy, but what a way to go out with a bang. Thanks to PH for bringing this to us.
Marc Frese
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of Marc Frese
I have my set #105! But all DVD´s vibrates. More badly than our washing machine!!!!

I true nightmare! ! !
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Quote:
On 2009-02-13 01:34, sirbrad wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-12 22:16, magicman4646 wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-12 20:51, sirbrad wrote:

Yes, but was that decision made in "pre-order mode" and will it hold up later on? I doubt it. Of course those who spent the money to per-order will selfishly assume that is the right choice, but inevitably it is not. There is going to be many out there who bought the set from shops that come up wit interesting ideas, and they will not be able to contribute to the forums of this product because they are being closed out for not pre-ordering. This is of no benefit to the TA community whatsoever, in fact it only limits it severely.

I find you contradict yourself a lot to get your way. A few weeks ago on the Penguin Forums, you bashed someone because they needed help with Extreme Burn and didn't have the PO forums because they got it somewhere else. You said it was their fault, and too bad for them. Now, your back saying that forums should be accessible to all, no matter where they purchase from. Are you just saying this because now you're on the other side, or because you're really just that fickle?

I find you tend to twist people's words around a lot, namely those who call you out on marketing "friend's" products that you get for free, and call you out on wanting to post "public exposure" on the open forums. You obviously lack the ability to actually comprehend what is actually said, so you make up your own delusions. You blatantly broke Penguin's rules, something you do frequently; and had no proof that the person even had the effect. Yet you were quick to divulge the secret working of the gimmick publicly and privately.

You get that free too? That would explain it, some people just don't value secrets these days because they are handed them on a platter, namely 10-12-year olds especially. I "bashed" no one, and if I would have bashed someone it would have been you, for being so gullible to "phishers." Next time actually post the facts not your what you fantasize.

Penguin has the most strict rules on the Internet, and almost everyone breaks them in some shape or form. I was quick to explain the workings of Richard's Extreme Burn publicly and privately? I don't remember saying anything publicly, and how did you read my Private Messages? In a matter of fact, all I asked the guy was what he made the gimmick of. I never responded back.

But if this is your way of getting what you want, keep trying bud, because it's never going to work.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-02-13 07:08, Marc Frese wrote:
I have my set #105! But all DVD´s vibrates. More badly than our washing machine!!!!

I true nightmare! ! !

Don't worry! Jason or whoever you bought TA from has you covered.

I'm sorry your discs vibrate Marc.

Best,

Doug L.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
stevenandrewdick
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of stevenandrewdick
Anyone else in the UK still waiting from pre-order?
It's a bit strange that dealers in the UK have them but pre-orders don't.

Cheers
Steven
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
I've been really lucky, so far the first 6 dvd's in my set haven't had a problem. I can't imagine waiting this long and when they finally show up they don't work! I wish you patience in getting the replacements! Watched Ripped and Fryed yesterday, was amazed at the method! -J.R.
jayhoward
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of jayhoward
With regard to the DVDs, the content I've watched so far is outstanding. The only thing that has left me a little disappointed, is the the quality of the box. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but looking at the promo clips, the box looked like a hardwood box made out of quality wood and stained to bring out the natural finish. It is in fact made out of rather inexpensive wood, and painted with a wood-like finish. Mine came somewhat damaged, with paint chipped off on one side. Jason was very good about sending me a quick apology and letting me know he's sending a new box. Again, the DVD content is what this set is about. However, I think a better quality box would have made this a real collectors item.
Marc Frese
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of Marc Frese
I can play the DVDs!
But it rattles like a rattle snake!!! "drrdrrdrrdrrdrdrrrrdrrrdrdrdrrdrdrd" Smile
And I think it could damage the DVD player! Smile
Whiskey_Trigger
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Whiskey_Trigger
I did say that I was going to say nothing else to sirbrad, but this deserves saying. Brad, I was in no way involved with TA other than being a paying customer. I have nothing to do with the TA forums other than being a member. I have no business or customers. Don't let me ****ing you off spoil you on the guys at The Astonishment Project because I'm not one of them. So, you can direct all of your teenage angst towards me because I don't care but don't be ****ed at Jason or anyone else at The Astonishment Project because they are not affiliated with me.
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
Quote:
On 2009-02-13 06:35, Redsixer wrote:
Also the effect right before it...Extraordinary Proof. This one is so simple to perform, and yet fools everybody. As soon as I watched it I tried it on my wife. She had no clue, so I tried it again...and again...and again. She still had no idea what was happening. Then my son and one of his buddies came in, I performed it and they had no clue. I did it again, and my son who knows magic, saw what was happening the second time, but his friend was fried...repeatedly.
don't overlook this simple yet astonishing effect. I love this set!

I agree completely regarding Extraordinary Proof. A very deceptive psychological presentation is used to disguise what is in effect a super simple method. With his knowledge of psychology, I believe Gerard could build an entire routine around a cross-cut force and make it "must-buy" item for the magic community.
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
Well, I have good news and bad news.

The good news: There's a snowstorm today, so school was cancelled for today! Now I have a full day to work with material from TA!

The bad news: I put in Disc 2, and it started vibrating right from the get-go when I put it in. The DVD player tried to read it for about a minute, and then it said "Disc not readable. This may not have playable content". I decided to try all of the discs to see which ones worked, and the only ones that worked were 1, 4, 5, and 6. I might try the rest of the discs in another DVD player, but I doubt that they will work.

I'm not mad, since Jason and Tim have done such a great job with customer service, and I still have more than enough material to last for a long time (at the rate I'm watching them, others are probably rewatching theirs for the seventh time!). I just saw the performances for Disc 4, and everything on there is A+ material. I can't wait to see the rest!
KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
From what I've seen so far... awesome. The disc vibrating issue drives me nuts though. 5 out of 9 discs vibrate like my DVD Player is about to explode. I usually like watching DVD's when my wife falls asleep and well... this discs actually woke her up! Aaaargh, frustrating is an understatement.

I'm sure they will relace the defective discs, however, is it possible that after the discs have been replaced that the other discs which did not display "the sickness" start up? I don' think so but with my luck sometimes...

Anyways, you guys know if they are just going to replace all the discs or just the affected ones? From what I've been reading, it's different discs for different sets. My discs that have "the sickness" are #2,3,7,8,9.

Later!

Andre
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
From the reading through these posts, does everyone know that they can call their dealer they bought from or contract Jason at The Astonishment Project or even contact Tim Trono at Murphy's for instructions on what to do and their disks will be replaced? You don't have to worry that you will find a disk later on that is bad if disk one was bad but 2-6 worked great. If you have a bad disk(s), you can get them all replaced now, so, no fears of trouble later on. I read through all the posts and see they want everyone to be taken care of with as little hassle as possible.

My own observations, if that means anything or helps is to look at the bigger picture. What if all the disks worked perfectly, but the magic wasn't as great as we hoped after all these years. OUCH! No recovery from that. Fortunately, it has lived up to and surpassed expectations for many of us.

In a modern world of mass production, things happen. Cars get recalled, children's toys....some folks died recently from tainted peanuts ( that the distributor knew were tainted ) at least the part(s) being rescaled doesn't happen at 30,000 feet and you end up in the drink or on the side of a mountain.

I'm not trying to be cute or take away from the disappointment folks feel. I am trying to assuage feelings by looking at the bigger picture. Remember years ago the Intel chip that couldn't perform a certain math equation properly. Instead of replacing the chip from the start, they said you had to prove that you use that equation. Public relations disaster!

Jason and team immediately said all faulty disks would be replaced. No run around telling folks maybe they should clean their disk drives, buy new players, drink green tea while standing on one foot, etc. Time will pass, everyone will have the replaced disks and out astonishing folks.

Of course I turn 50 this month and have chewed on lead paint, drank saccharin and spent many summers with only Coppertone Sun Tan OIL with no SPF. No wonder I'm so messed up today. lol.

Years ago I was having what I thought was a bad day and then saw a fellow in a wheelchair that was making it go by blowing in a tube. He had his schoolbooks and was off to class. I guessed he looked at the bigger picture.

If I offended anyone with these thoughts, I apologize, but do contact the appropriate party to get your disks replaced if you found a problem with them.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Also, I think it's important to note that people shouldn't stress about faulty DVDs. I got my set yesterday and was worrying after all of these posts that they wouldn't play. I quickly popped them all in both my Mac and my DVD player, and they play perfectly fine. I'm sorry for those who need replacements, but just wanted to let future buyers know not to worry too much.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
After the post I made I was told the Replicator found that a faulty screw on the replicating machine is the culprit. So, they are going to replace all disks that are in stock and at the dealers, so future purchasers won't have to worry about the sets.

Would anyone with bad disks be up for contacting Tim Trono ( timtrono@aol.com ) about sending Murphy's their bad disks? I'm sure they'd like to see any patterns on what came out good/bad on batches, etc.

Jay Buchanan
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
512 Posts

Profile of Jay Buchanan
Quote:
On 2009-02-13 12:26, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
...If I offended anyone with these thoughts, I apologize...

Not at all Christopher! I think you hit the nail on the head and said it better than I ever could have! This set is simply amazing and that extends all the way up to the customer service we've seen. I think that your analogy of the young man in the wheelchair is spot on!

Also, Happy 50th!!
Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt. ~ Shakespeare
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Jason at The Astonishment Project is handling anyone that bought direct from the Astonishment project. All other inquires can go direct to your online shop or brick and mortar shop.

KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
Yeah well try waking up MY wife and see how much of a positive attitude you'll have after that.

Later,

Andre
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » TA: True Astonishment by Paul Harris: Box Set: 9 DVDs + Props (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..29~30~31~32~33..41..48..55..62..69..70~71~72 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL