The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » TA: True Astonishment by Paul Harris: Box Set: 9 DVDs + Props (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..23..35..47..59..70~71~72 [Next]
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Ok, I love living in California. Love it love love it. Why? The weather, the people, the fact that things shipped from inside CA get to me in 1 or 2 days.

I expected to receive TA tomorrow, as the absolute earliest. Last night, upon arriving at my abode, I did a cursory search of my porch to make sure it didn't come "by magic". Lo and behold, a nice little postal box was waiting for me.

That was 630pm. I finally forced myself to go to bed at 330am (and I still didn't get to all of the DVDs). Mostly I watched the performances and the cookies. I like to immerse myself in the atmosphere without worrying about methods. A few effects absolutely forced me to look at the methods. Examples: LVL, Extraordinary Proof, and Stapled Warp (I was in Bro's and Paul's boat on this).

The cookies were great. When everybody gets their discs, I'd like to have a generic discussion of McBride's take on Long's Shuffling Lesson.

I won't be providing in depth reviews as I don't think I can add much that hasn't been said.

I do have one question though, I find myself in the odd situation of merely enjoying watching Tensegrity. It's almost like I don't want to spoil the illusion for myself, it is that freaking cool.

Yes, I'm gushing, but rightfully so!

Thanks so much guys, this set is truly and honestly going to change my life.

Lem
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Jay, nice work.

The music is beautiful. It doesn't intrude but instead relaxes and creates a beautiful creative atmosphere.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jay Buchanan
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
512 Posts

Profile of Jay Buchanan
Juat a quick note because my edit time is up.
I said

"Patrick is extremely thorough in his explanation and it's like he says, this is simply the brickwork for what is sure to become an entire branch of magic by itself."

Patrick didn't actually say that it will become it's own branch of magic, I said that Smile Patrick said that he hopes that people build upon this groundwork. I say that if that happens (and how could it not, this is huge) that it will grow into it's own branch Smile

Sorry for the confusion, I am very tired right now... I can't figure out why... Smile

Quote:
On 2009-02-05 14:21, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Jay, nice work.

The music is beautiful. It doesn't intrude but instead relaxes and creates a beautiful creative atmosphere.

Thanks Christopher! I'm looking forward to all of your thoughts on this as well as you get time Smile

This thing is like an entire box of pure insight!
Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt. ~ Shakespeare
Whiskey_Trigger
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Whiskey_Trigger
The review for the new Las Vegas Leaper is up on my website in the Disc 2 area.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Man I need this set so badly, I am reading reviews and this looks great!!!
Jay Buchanan
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
512 Posts

Profile of Jay Buchanan
Nevermind Whiskey, I got it Smile
Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt. ~ Shakespeare
AlluTallu
View Profile
Veteran user
Finland
394 Posts

Profile of AlluTallu
Jay, thanks for your incredible review! I think I have NEVER been this excited about anything. I don't know how can I stay alive if I don't get this soon!

-Aleksi
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
Mercury52-No one gave you permission to sleep.
You need to write reviews, trick descriptions, thoughts and so on.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 14:45, Whiskey_Trigger wrote:

I'd really prefer if the description of the trick wasn't so detailed. My rationale is here. What does everybody else think?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......art=0#14
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
You may have read one of my
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
OK can someone help me with the Easter Eggs? I have never found an Easter Egg on any of my other DVDs and frankly I never really cared to look. But everyone is talking about the great eggs on these DVDs and I have no idea how to access them. My DVD player has an up/down and left/right arrow which lets me move from index item to index item, which I do, but how does one hide an egg on a page with six index items that you toggle through? I mean its not like I have a lot of choices on the various pages (Main Menu, LVL$, Tubular, Cheng's Riser, SS2, Growing Card, Main Menu, LVL$, etc.). How do you hide an egg on pages like that?!
"If you can't change the method, change the moment." Vernon
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Have you seen any mushrooms while watching various portions?
KyleThorson
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
98 Posts

Profile of KyleThorson
Does anyone else think of "1UP!" when they find a hidden mushroom?
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 15:31, Thales wrote:
OK can someone help me with the Easter Eggs? I have never found an Easter Egg on any of my other DVDs and frankly I never really cared to look. But everyone is talking about the great eggs on these DVDs and I have no idea how to access them. My DVD player has an up/down and left/right arrow which lets me move from index item to index item, which I do, but how does one hide an egg on a page with six index items that you toggle through? I mean its not like I have a lot of choices on the various pages (Main Menu, LVL$, Tubular, Cheng's Riser, SS2, Growing Card, Main Menu, LVL$, etc.). How do you hide an egg on pages like that?!

Hit the various directions to cycle through the options. For example, and JUST an example, let's say you are on the menu page for the AG Card Warp effect. You can go down by hitting down several times. Try that. Then try hitting right several times, left several times, etc. When something other than the expected menu options are highlighted, congrats, you've found a easter egg/cookie/little gem.

This is pretty standard for finding easter eggs. Not every effect has them, some are on the main menu (lists the tricks on the disk), not the trick menu (where it says performance, explanation, phootenotes), etc.

Again, this is standard.

Quote:
On 2009-02-05 15:47, KyleThorson wrote:
Does anyone else think of "1UP!" when they find a hidden mushroom?

No, but I will now, lol.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Gerard's Warp from Disk #4, INMO, has advanced the plot. I "thought" it used one of the gimmicks that came with the set because he did something that's not possible with normal cards. I got fooled badly.

Once again, Andrew Gerard's performing genius shines through. I LOVE Card Warp and this made it better. I will now carry a mini stapler. They have ones that attach to key chains?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Mine arrived today...just as I was bringing my son home from school...the mailman set it down and I picked it up 30 seconds later...I told my son, "Daddy's box of magic is here!"

We both sat on the floor to open the box...right before I began to cut, we both let out a little squeal...

It's beautiful...worth the wait...plus I knew Jason didn't want me to go on a hunger strike...

To all involved in creating this beauty...AMAZING! It truly puts all other DVD sets to shame!

A new standard.

Nathan

PS I am making myself wait 2 hours before I watch anything...
AlluTallu
View Profile
Veteran user
Finland
394 Posts

Profile of AlluTallu
http://www.tansustyle.com/SearchResults.......+stapler

Don't know if you are able to afford it though.

Price: $2.25
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Well mine has arrived and just as my luck goes it is awaiting custom charging (yet again I have been stung!!!) do you know if parcelforce release the parcel with charges or do I have to pay the charges before they release the parcel for delivery??
jrl41090
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of jrl41090
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 16:41, Nathan Pain wrote:
Mine arrived today...just as I was bringing my son home from school...the mailman set it down and I picked it up 30 seconds later...I told my son, "Daddy's box of magic is here!"

We both sat on the floor to open the box...right before I began to cut, we both let out a little squeal...

It's beautiful...worth the wait...plus I knew Jason didn't want me to go on a hunger strike...

To all involved in creating this beauty...AMAZING! It truly puts all other DVD sets to shame!

A new standard.

Nathan

PS I am making myself wait 2 hours before I watch anything...

Ah, not fair. I somehow am still waiting. Sadly.
Enjoy Nathan!!! Report back to us Smile

Thanks,
Justin
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 15:30, Lemniscate wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 14:45, Whiskey_Trigger wrote:

I'd really prefer if the description of the trick wasn't so detailed. My rationale is here. What does everybody else think?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......art=0#14

I'd prefer smart commentary, tales or reactions, practical concerns, etc.... but not a blow-by-blow of the presentation itself. I think some things can be left up to the imagination for all of us who haven't received our set yet. And in the same way that book and movie reviews don't need to reveal the whole plot, I think some of plain description of these effects should be held back too.
Jay Buchanan
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
512 Posts

Profile of Jay Buchanan
Wow at disc 6!
I will wait to watch 7&8 and then do all 3 reviews at once which will complete my entire set review, but wow!

I did find the first thing that I know I will never do.. it's a cookie on 6.
If you find it, and you do it... you are more man than I! lol
Heck, the lady who does it on the disc is more man than I for having done it!

I have a lot of patience... but not that much! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » TA: True Astonishment by Paul Harris: Box Set: 9 DVDs + Props (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..23..35..47..59..70~71~72 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL