We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Walkaround Instant Inductions At Mall (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Darren Altman
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Darren Altman
John,

I have to agree with Richard and Anthony. Good for you for wanting to take your art to the streets and amaze and entertain people, but be safe!

I'm not a professional hypnotist in the hypnotherapy or stage sense, but am obsessed by it and as such have been on Jon Chase's one day course and Richard Nongard and John Cerbone's trance weekend. I have Anthony's book and dvd and am studying all the time. I try and bring the conversation round to hypnosis whenever I can and as a result have zapped lots of people recently and am having more and more success.

I have (as yet) not approached people randomly in the street, but would love to! I would say that a cameraman would help as it instantly adds crediblility to the 'act' as having someone film you would be less thretening than having a random nutter approach you on their own!

My weapon of choice(!) at the moment is the Cerbone Butterfly and it seems to work every time. Two things though: 1) don't let them fall after the initial shock and arm pull, go straight for their shoulders to support them and start rocking them down and 2) don't forget to rock them deeper. A couple of times recently I (for some stupid reason) forgot to rock them and the results haven't been as successful as I would have liked. The reason: that the rocking motion regresses the person back to their childhood when the mother rocked them to sleep and thus acts as an initial deepener and leads them into hypnosis. Please correct me if I'm wrong Anthony and Richard!

As for skits, check out DJ Guyver's videos with his street hypnosis in Key West, Florida.... skit after skit after skit!! The guy is self taught and really creative.

http://www.youtube.com/user/XxXGyverXxX

Good luck John and let us know how you get on.

PS I'm the silly tool he hypnotised over Skype!!
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Quote:
The reason: that the rocking motion regresses the person back to their childhood when the mother rocked them to sleep and thus acts as an initial deepener and leads them into hypnosis. Please correct me if I'm wrong Anthony and Richard!

I love your enthusiasm Darren. But please do not get me mixed up in crazy rocking regression theory. To me rocking is just a physical feed I can pace and lead Smile

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4177 Posts

Profile of bobser
Wow, Guyver says he is a 25 year old College Professor. I don't think that's possible in the UK. Can it really happen in America???
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Darren Altman
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Darren Altman
Quote:
The reason: that the rocking motion regresses the person back to their childhood when the mother rocked them to sleep and thus acts as an initial deepener and leads them into hypnosis. Please correct me if I'm wrong Anthony and Richard!

I love your enthusiasm Darren. But please do not get me mixed up in crazy rocking regression theory. To me rocking is just a physical feed I can pace and lead Smile

Ok, cheers Ant. In my experience of being hypnotised by lots of different people in a short space of time, the ones that had a more pround effect apart from the initial shock was the ones who rocked me from side to side whilst deepening. It feels very satisfying and enhances the state.
The ones that didn't get me to go deeper were the ones who left me motionless. Surely the SMA head rotation works on the same principal?

Quote:
On 2009-02-04 13:26, bobser wrote:
Wow, Guyver says he is a 25 year old College Professor. I don't think that's possible in the UK. Can it really happen in America???

Don't know, I'll ask him. He teaches engineering I think.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I don't have a problem with street hypnosis. I DO have a problem with BAD PERFORMERS.

The current problem with street hypnosis, IMO, is typified by the question, "What do you do with the people once they're in trance?" or "What are some good skits to use?" To me this implies that the person has no skills and no training.

One of the problems is exemplified by the Zap ad which shows a young man almost ripping people's arms out of their sockets and putting them down. The DVD may go into what happens next, but that's definitely not the selling point.

IMO stage hypnosis and street hypnosis are forms of entertainment. Just knocking people out isn't entertainment, it's shock. It's a cheezy slasher film that shocks and is quickly forgotten.

The induction is just part of the show, and people who learn instant/rapid inductions and don't learn skits, stage presence, public speaking, acting, an understanding of what to do in case of abreaction, etc., could end up harming their victims and result in laws requiring training or banning hypnosis. Their "shows" could also turn off people to hypnosis.

So to my mind the question shouldn't be "Street hypnosis, yes or no?" but rather, "Is it good, safe entertainment?"
Tony Miller
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
Quote:
"Is it good, safe entertainment?"

I think that really depends on the hypnotist. Somebody that has put in the time to really learn the art and be prepared for the unexpected can perform this as good, safe entertainment. Anybody that just buys the Zap video and then hits the streets is not performing good, safe entertainment.

I look at it like buying a straight jacket, some rope and kerosene and putting on your first live escape without practice compared to actually taking the time to train and learn before trying a dangerous escape.
__
"If you want magic in your life, start thinking like a magician." - Scott Grossberg

www.anthonyrmiller.com
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-02-04 13:36, Darren Altman wrote:It feels very satisfying and enhances the state.
The ones that didn't get me to go deeper were the ones who left me motionless. Surely the SMA head rotation works on the same principal?

I agree it works well - I just had not heard it related to rock a bye baby. It certainly seems to suggest to a subject they are safe and can give physically.

What is your favorite lullaby?

Ant
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

Darren Altman
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Darren Altman
Quote:

What is your favorite lullaby?

Ant

Something about a cow and the moon!!
kcalB
View Profile
Inner circle
Took me 16 years to make
1001 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Quote:
On 2009-02-03 18:47, mindpunisher wrote:
I guess Anthony I just don't see it. I just think stage hypnosis should be a real show...With all the proper tricks of the trade in place to play with the perceptions of the audience.

It reminds me of a comparison with art. Put a piece of art on the pavement with a cap and you'll get a few coins. And no one will really value the art or the artist.

Put the same piece of art in a prestigeous gallery and all of a sudden it has many many more times percieved value. It makes more for the artist and somehow gives a more intense and valuable experience for the audience.

I believe true hypnotists take advantage of everything to create the experience for the audience. As well as extract as much value personally from the art.

that's why I think street hypnosis will always devalue the "art". And only uses a small part of true stage hypnosis.

But that's just me.

Well said, and I tend to agree with your point of view, albeit the street stuff may work well for the young hipster who is trying to gain attention and notariety and work bar gigs but in my own mind it denegrates hypnosis to the level of a trick and to me feels like busking and not a high dollar value art form.
But what do I know ?

SB
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

No work of art if perfect, and we should work to make it closer to that ideal or if not that and you prefer at least a high dollar art form. Let’s not make the perfect the enemy of the essential though. Let’s show people all over our country who you are and what you can do with hypnosis and that you are equal to the task.

It opens lots of doors and is lots of fun.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20972 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-02-04 19:05, Sebastian Black wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-03 18:47, mindpunisher wrote:
I guess Anthony I just don't see it. I just think stage hypnosis should be a real show...With all the proper tricks of the trade in place to play with the perceptions of the audience.

It reminds me of a comparison with art. Put a piece of art on the pavement with a cap and you'll get a few coins. And no one will really value the art or the artist.

Put the same piece of art in a prestigeous gallery and all of a sudden it has many many more times percieved value. It makes more for the artist and somehow gives a more intense and valuable experience for the audience.

I believe true hypnotists take advantage of everything to create the experience for the audience. As well as extract as much value personally from the art.

that's why I think street hypnosis will always devalue the "art". And only uses a small part of true stage hypnosis.

But that's just me.

Well said, and I tend to agree with your point of view, albeit the street stuff may work well for the young hipster who is trying to gain attention and notariety and work bar gigs but in my own mind it denegrates hypnosis to the level of a trick and to me feels like busking and not a high dollar value art form.
But what do I know ?

SB

I am of two minds. I have always tended to think it is sort of pointless. But I guess if it works it works I don't know.

I mean you can "technically" do a show without an induction ala Kreskin right? I have uses speed inductions on stage and it takes away from what I PERSONALLY want to have going on while I work. I do not think they are as "believable" as a PMR. It is an opinion take it for what it is worth.

I can't imagine doing the street stuff, not my style. I guess that is my position on it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2009-02-04 09:38, bobser wrote:
Sorry MP and Danny but I think Anthony and Richard are on the money. Albeit I also feel Richard is correct in as much as John phrased his intentions inapropriately and did indeed devalue the art of hypnosis.
I do know that many stage magicians are not happy, indeed even jealous of guys who do 'close-up'. And I've been told countless times by members of the public that whilst I'm working that:
"I'd only ever seen it on TV or on a stage and simply didn't believe it was possible to do what you just did... right under my nose."
I think street hypnosis is to stage hypnosis what close up is to stage magic. In many ways MP not only does it NOT devalue hypnosis but rather expands its value giving a 'close-up' demonstration of its powers which the close-up viewer gets to actually OWN.
However, in The Mall? Admittedly that maybe makes even me a wee bit queesy. BUT I like the idea that I could be wrong.
bobser

All of the demonstrations I've seen on video even Anthony's look very poor examples.They don't do much for the image of hypnosis. They look poorly executed and don't do much for the hypnotist.

While I agree there is something to be said for close up demonstrations I still don't think the street is the right place.

However it might be more valuable to the hypnotist who can't get gigs any other way. In that they get "some" work. I think that's really the motivation behind them.

As a media for reaching an audience its inferior.

I don't understand the jealousy comment? If anything this new trend makes me want to distance myself from stage hypnosis because it does devalue it. Which in turn if this trend becomes widespread devalues it as a business proposition.(although if I were selling instructional Dvds I see the sense in promoting it)

I was or would be only interested in stage hypnosis as a business first. This new trend could only damage that. However since the market here is practically non existent it doesn't really matter anyway.

As an art or piece of theatre it crucifies hypnosis. Of course this is only my opinion.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 05:19, mindpunisher wrote:

I don't understand the jealousy comment? If anything this new trend makes me want to distance myself from stage hypnosis because it does devalue it. Which in turn if this trend becomes widespread devalues it as a business proposition.(although if I were selling instructional Dvds I see the sense in promoting it)

Interesting point.

If street hypnosis is used to sell DVDs or books (the equivalent of BOR sales after a show) it makes sense. If it's used to advertise services (either a stage show or [questionably] the power of hypnotherapy services you provide) that would make sense.

But if it's simply a show that you do frequently, will it devalue stage performances? Why pay for a cow when you can get the milk for free?
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
Quote:
On 2009-02-03 20:03, Nongard1 wrote:
Street hypnosis is a show. An effective tool for demonstrating the power of hypnosis, and to have fun.
The issue John is that your initial post talked of malls, and they are about the worst venue for such because it really isn't public, it is a private shopping center, and you will have difficulty with permission and cameras and are unlikely to get arpproval from mall owners.

Second, your line "we never had the chance to head down to the mall and knock people out." Rubbed the stage hypnotists wrong, much like a chiropractor cringes when he hears people call it "craking a back" (They do adjustments)....

Street hypnosis, like street magic, or a street musician, or even a juggler can be crass, rude, invasive and unprofessional. With the rights skill and attitude, it can be beutiful, interesting and a powerful force for good.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't mean to rub people wrong. So maybe if I re-word it...

I would like to give some impromptu demonstrations of hypnotic phenomenon in an open, publically accessible venue. I am looking for recommendations as to a good open, publically accessible venue, as well as a few public demonstration routines that those who have done it find work best in that particular venue.

That's about as PC as I can get.
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
Quote:
But if it's simply a show that you do frequently, will it devalue stage performances? Why pay for a cow when you can get the milk for free?

I would like to let them sample my very delicious milk in small quanities so that:

1) They know I sell milk
2) To see how delicious the milk is
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 12:54, dmkraig wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 05:19, mindpunisher wrote:

Interesting point.

If street hypnosis is used to sell DVDs or books (the equivalent of BOR sales after a show) it makes sense. If it's used to advertise services (either a stage show or [questionably] the power of hypnotherapy services you provide) that would make sense.

Actually I meant promoting street hypnosis to sell more instructional dvds to those that want to perform in the street.

Personally I wouldn't touch street shows in any form. I believe its bad positioning of stage hypnosis from a marketing perspective. And the more common it becomes the worse stage hy[nosis will be positioned in the market.

It will be reduced to nothing special. Which actually happened here when we had an explosion of bad bar hypnotists. that's what eventually killed the market.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20972 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I do not believe you will book that much "stage work" in theaters, or in other markets by doing this.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Sidney
View Profile
New user
85 Zombie Kills and their heads hung on
94 Posts

Profile of Sidney
John, How many actual shows have you performed ?
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 13:20, JohnCressman wrote:
Quote:

I would like to let them sample my very delicious milk in small quanities so that:

1) They know I sell milk
2) To see how delicious the milk is

But if you're giving away free samples, why should I ever pay for it? If I want another drink I can just get another sample.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20972 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why buy the cow when the milk is free? I don't believe this is the situation the saying is meant for, but it fits.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Walkaround Instant Inductions At Mall (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL