The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Nosebleeda Sponge DVD - Somebody shoot me (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I hate to be the one to tell you but...
This is the worst of the worst. The only thing that makes this worse than it was already was that Jay was willing to state on the DVD that it was the end-all-be-all on sponge balls.

The routine stinks. There's no motivation for any of his going to his pockets.
How is this being responsible in any way to a younger generation of magicians?
There's no comedy, lines, bits. I don't see how he's been doing the routine for 10 years with it being that bland. His retention vanish stinks. Spends a lot of time going over moves you'll never use: Back palming a spongeball? Please.

No work on the benson bowl vanish using the wand. Not a split second on a sanada.

The only good part of the DVD was where he had Gary Darwin step in and give some nice vanishes at the end of the DVD.

If you want a DVD on spongeballs, for goodness sake, get the Patrick Page DVD.
Probably 1/3 the price with 10 times as much useful info on it.

genpuin keeps putting out **** and everyone keeps buying it.
That's the best magic trick of all.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
802 Posts

Profile of meyegr
Now tell us how you really feel Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I got it to see Gary Darwin. The Steve Dacri toolkit ( which again has Gary Darwin ) is a great DVD.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
The darwin part is pretty good though!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Yep. And basically the same thing is taught on the Page DVD.
Except the Page DVD has some great insights on a lot of different things including some great benson bowl ideas. You can tell patrick page has the knowledge.

This DVD is junk. "This is the Last Word on SpongeBalls!". I should have taken jay's advice and stopped the DVD right there and called it a night.

Unbelievable.
patrick66
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
384 Posts

Profile of patrick66
Frank, what about The Encyclopedia of sponge ball magic of Ben Salinas?

How is your view on that product?
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
But... The part when he pulls the spongeball out of his mouth is so freaking cool!!! Its like he puked it up or something!! Smile

In fact I think he puked up just about everything on the DVD. I agree with you 100%. As soon as I saw it I knew that it wasn't for me. If I did a retention as bad as he does I wouldn't ever show it to anyone, Let alone put it on a DVD. I wonder what Darwin thought of Jay's skill.

Patrick Page Huh. I've been looking for a good DVD on spongeballs. Most of what I know comes from books and its nice to have something to go by visualy. Thanks Frank.
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
iceblade
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of iceblade
This DVD is not the best but is definitely not junk. His shuttle pass with sponge balls is decent and this move is not covered in most sponge balls DVDs with the exception of Earplugs by Jay Sankey (I don't use his earplugs but this is a very good DVD for sponge balls moves). He also covers some take vanishes which are not covered in other DVD's. The Gary Darwin section was also very good. You could do worse than this DVD.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2013 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 03:30, patrick66 wrote:

I love it, best overall spongeball DVD on the market. Same goes for his Modern Coin Magic DVD.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I'm not into sponge balls myself, but if you want to see a truly great routine, check out the John Carney Master Sessions DVD.

Robert
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5382 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I agree with Robert. Carney's work on his Master Sessions is short, sweet and direct, with motivation for every step.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-02-05 06:33, iceblade wrote:
You could do worse than this DVD.

I hope that if I ever put out a DVD this is not what people would say about it. Smile
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
589 Posts

Profile of mayniac
It's too bad Penguin is putting out so much crap these days. At least they still have a pretty good forum.
Amiable
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Amiable
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 08:19, sirbrad wrote:

I love it, best overall spongeball DVD on the market. Same goes for his Modern Coin Magic DVD.

(Is this in jest? I saw Salinas' false shuffles DVD, and... *groan* it was bad.)
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2013 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
That has nothing to do with the other two products. MCM is the most comprehensive guide based on the book available, and the best deal in my opinion. I tend to look at "material," not performer skill level or whether I like them or not. I also enjoyed HotShot Color Changes, and this along with MCM received a lot of rave reviews here by many others as well.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-02-05 03:30, patrick66 wrote:

I was given a copy but have not checked it out yet.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1513 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Eric Jones has an awesome spongeball routine in his "fingertips pt. 1" lecture notes. Lots of magic happening. Very fun and fresh. It was shown to me live, in my face at one of his lectures. Have to admit, it got me pretty badly. The routine is called eye candy. Check it out here http://e-mmaculatedeceptions.com/products.html
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
297 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
I have to second Eric's routine. Everything is motivated.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
I do believe that penguin is lately aiming beginners,probably trying to get some newbies who recently got interested in magic as a result of tv shows,this sponge dvd is good,for beginners of course.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

NO, it's not. It stinks. Too many mistakes in the construction of the shoddy routine. A beginner needs things that are well thought out and motivated.
That's much of what a beginner needs to learn.

Also, this is not aimed at a beginner. It's tooting it's horn as ..
"The last word on sponge balls"

*snort*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Nosebleeda Sponge DVD - Somebody shoot me (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL