The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Stage Names? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicnator
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magicnator
I think it's 2 battles. 1- Should I choose a stage name? 2- What will it be? If your name sucks, or is hard to pronounce or spell, you need to simplify it and make it easy for people to remember, marketing etc...As far as figuring out what it will be...you are doing the right thing...leaving it to the Café members for suggestions and throwing names out there. That's all you can do. Hopefully one will stick. But yeah, if you can try to incorporate your first name into the stage name and change the last, it isn't to difficult. IMO
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Hmmm.... "IMO"... now there's a "unique" name!

Perhaps "IMO The GREAT!" or... "The Great IMO!"

lol
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Danny,

Is your real last name pronounced coin?

That has somewhat of a magic ring to it.... You could just change the spelling to "coin" or "coins".

I like "Danny Wonders" a lot - for all the reasons you stated above. I personally don't think Tommy Wonder is too close. But that would be a decision you would have to make on your own. If you personally feel that the names are too close, then they are.....

I always wondered who came first, Kevin James the magician, or Kevin James the comedian/actor????

Scott (needs a stage name himself) Brown
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
I use one as well. I work full-time as a consultant for several large companies and my primary area of focus is information security. I speak on occasion and have done so in several large venues. Unfortunately, I realize there are some who may consider my hobby/part-time gig a rather whimsical thing and may look down on me for my interests. That being said, and despite being a rather flamboyant personality, I do cherish my and my family's privacy. So, to answer your question, yes - for many reasons - I do use a stage name.
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I used one for many years because it helped me draw a firm line between my career persona and my private life.

The biggest payoff was that if I were addressed by someone I didn't know (on the phone, or some circumstance in which I couldn't remember who the person was) I'd know immediately whether I needed to reply to them as my wife's husband and my kids' father and probably their kid's scoutmaster, or whether they were expecting to talk to a magician (meaning they were probably a customer).
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
I am a family entertainer going by Princess Lexiloo. Corporate loves me Smile

No trouble pronouncing or spelling, they go home with too much promo.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I've followed the example of such persons as Mr. T and the wrestler, John R:

Steve M
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Robert Bloor is available if anyone wants it. PM for fee information.

Requirements: Must not have any visible talent, originality or personality.

If you want to use a stage name, fine. No biggie. Some do some don't.

Make sure your payment terms are spelled out in contract for your legal name or business name.

Robert "Not Bloor the Wh0re" Smith
Jay Ward
View Profile
Veteran user
Flowery Branch, GA
328 Posts

Profile of Jay Ward
Just my 2 cents, I think Danny Coyne is a great name for a magician. Or Daniel Coyne. I wouldn't change it.
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
I started out doing a lot of street magic and kid shows. I chose the Name "Prof. Gizmo." I was a clown so it also worked for that. Whether clown or magician I was Prof. Gizmo. I was doing a roller rink show every week. After the show was a roller hockey pickup game. I would be wearing clown make-up for the show and hang around to play hockey in the next session. I would still have the clown makeup on to play hockey. They started calling me Giz! "Giz pass the puck!"
The guys in Seattle magic club would call me Giz or Professor. I started getting shows on Cruise boats and Microsoft. My friend told me that adults may not want to book "Prof. Gizmo." I had to agree, so I started calling myself "The Black Belt Magician." (It came to me at about 2AM one night.) It seemed to work. I hope to do more corporate shows so the "Black Belt Magician is what I go by now. Unfortunately Prof. Gizmo or "Giz" is still around. It's what my grandsons still call me. Choose wisely.
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
Since your initials are DRC how about DR. C? How about "Coyne the con" if you do 3 card monte or 3 shell game? How about "Cards and Coyne?" Otherwise Daniel Coyne the . . .
Think of your character or personna and give that a name.
Forget the inni's or "worlds greatest!
I always liked Penn & Tellers moniker: "A couple of eccentric guys who know how to do a few cool things."
Good luck!!!
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
...Danny Coy

...Daniel Coy and Associates
Jonathan
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
761 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
My stage name is

Professor Eugene Witless, BalloonOlogist
scientific savant and all around super genius
Inventor of the portable black hole and the famed pocket house
World renound researcher of the Canine Latexus aka the little Rubber Doggie

I could go on...
I now have a whole lot of false acheivments and am getting ready to release web based videos of "The Professor's Lab"
that is also going to have a blog going on
its ok.. balloon dogs don't bite
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Gee Whiz... and I liked the name "Mike Clay"... so I just bought the dot com address for it Smile
Jonathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Stage Names? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL