The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Question about Tenyo Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
I've heard a lot of advanced Magicians say that they own some Tenyo tricks but would never use them in their performances. Is it due to the fact that they look kind of "kiddish" with the colors and that they are made of plastic? I have Crystal Cleaver, Prison Box, and a few others, and the way the gimmick works on these are very interesting. I was just wondering if anyone actually uses Tenyo tricks in their shows or performances, and why do they/don't they use them? For the people that DO NOT use them, would you use them if they looked more "professional"? I feel Patter and Presentation for these tricks may be a little difficult but I once used the Crystal Cleaver trick as something I "built" and "painted" myself as part of my patter and went into "something strange happened when I built this" presentation. Just curious as to how people patter these type of tricks if they use them.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
There's a new line of 'professional' grade Tenyo effects that might interest you. They're specifically made to address this question. Look further down the list for sections devoted to standard Tenyo effects and the new professional models.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
They aren't used because they are kinda plasticy and if not seen as a childs toy, might be seen as a magic prop i.e. a self-working trick (which ironically is what they often are) - so I think many working magicians don't use them for precisely that reason.

As for making them look professional, their cheap plasticy line have over the years become increasingly expensive, to the point where this years line costs £30 a trick! You can buy quality made brass equipment for that and so I would hate to see how they would price a line made out of finer materials.
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2009-02-06 11:07, airship wrote:
There's a new line of 'professional' grade Tenyo effects that might interest you. They're specifically made to address this question. Look further down the list for sections devoted to standard Tenyo effects and the new professional models.

Where I can see them?
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Right here in the Café forums, in the forum titled 'Tenyo Elite'. On the main page, scroll down.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
I don't use most of them because they look like a trick. Like a bunch of props specifically made to do a trick. With that it's very hard to take your performance beyond being a puzzle and into being magical.

Having said that Tenyo also has a range of props that are real workers, for example In The News, Milk Tumbler, What's Next?, and their latest Newsworthy Tear. Those are props made with the working pro in mind... And I've worked with two out of those four...

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Question about Tenyo Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL