The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Your Favorite Math Principle/Trick (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5121 Posts

Profile of landmark
Hi Gerard,

Thanks very much for posting your interesting ideas. I would love to hear your applications to a Tarot deck.

My knowledge of magic history is limited, but I believe what you are describing in your second post is the application of the Gilbreath principle to a palindromic stack. Phil Goldstein has described some interesting routines such as The Mockingbird and Zenvelopes which utilize a similar combination of principles. I do not know if he was the first to combine these principles.

Your more general statement of the principle is very fascinating to me , because you make it clear that, unlike in the two Goldstein effects I mentioned, the deck does not need to be evenly divided, all that is required is that a portion of a cyclic stack be reversed before that portion is riffle shuffled.

This would seem to be advantageous for those who carry a cyclic stacked deck such as Si Stebbins or Dyment's Quickstack. Dealing down any number of cards and then riffle shuffling, will maintain the divided nature of such a deck.

Jack Shalom
Gerard BAKNER
View Profile
New user
Chartres (France)
13 Posts

Profile of Gerard BAKNER
Richard Osterlind worked about the palindromic stack BUT the deck is not shuffled. The deck is only prepared.

In The Mockingbird : the magician must cut the deck in the middle.
In my order : ABCDEFABCDEFABCDEF......... the magicien don’t cut the deck in the middle. The spectator must give 6 or more cards (reverse order) on the table. So, the spectator cut at the place he choose and after he shuffles the deck.
A cut and a shuffle made by the spectator. I think it is different (upgrade?).

In Zenvelopes (I love this trick), the magician choose the order (palindromic order) of the packets (full and empty). These two packets are not shuffle together.

I think it is different to utilise the Gilbreath principle with few cards than the entire deck (because you can do more others routines. For example you can prepare one stack on the top and one stack on the bottom of the deck. It isn’t possible with the entire deck).

NOSTRADAMUS

“When one planet will appear, a religious person dispenses a sentence” (I hope you understand my phrase)

A Tarot deck.

Sun, Justice, Hierophant, 7 indifferent cards, Hanged Man, High Priestess, Judgement, Moon, 7 indifferent cards, Death. (Sun is the top card, Death is the bottom card).

Cut the deck between the Hanged Man and the High Priestess.
One spectator riffle shuffles the two halves:
On the top of the deck you have: Sun or Moon (Planet), Justice or Judgement (Sentence), Hierophant or High Priestess (Religious person) but you don’t know the order.
On the bottom of the deck, you have: Death or Hanged Man.
Ask the spectator to give the 3 firsts cards on the table. These 3 first cards agree the phrase: “When one planet will appear, a religious person dispenses a sentence”
Ask the spectator if he want to know the sentence. Return the deck: Death or Hanged Man.

One more time, excuse-me for my English language.

Gerard
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
Earlier in this thread, Stick wrote:

"By far the best trick using mathematics is to be found in the “Royal Road to Card Magic”, page 148 and is called “An Incomprehensible Divination.”
It kills laymen and some magicians. I have used it for years."

I have Royal Road and did not find this effect. Anyone know where it is?

- Greg Owen

Never mind...answered my own question. It is in John Hilliard's Greater Magic and the effect is credited to Al Baker.

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
Aron Devin
View Profile
New user
Chattanooga, TN
78 Posts

Profile of Aron Devin
One of my favorite, if not favorite, tricks I do is based on Meir Yedid's "Predict Perfect". I do it using a regular deck of cards though and just take out and ace - nine. It's a powerful principle and with it you can force hundreds of different numbers which you can then use for book tests, mind reading, calendar stunts, et al.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Instead of doing "Predict Perfect" as a prediction, I've done it as a memory effect. You have a phone book out on the table, and explain that you've memorized it. The cards are mixed, and an equation created, as in the original trick. Once you get the answer, you think for a second, and say, "As I recall, there's a Mr. Johnathan Martinson on page 352 of that phone book. Would you open up to page 352, and read the last four digits of Mr. Martinson's phone number?" Of course, the last four digits are the same as the created total!

Another great use for Meir Yedid's "Predict Perfect" is as visual aids in Barrie Richardson's "The Human Equation" in his book, "Theater of the Mind".
atrudo
View Profile
Regular user
New Hampshire
192 Posts

Profile of atrudo
The Gilbreath Principle when used in Max Maven's Mockingbird effect or Sal Piacente's memory opener. These are two of the best applications of this principle I have seen.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Another awesome use of the Gilbreath Principle is "Chromagnon" in Phil Goldstein's "Thabbatical".
Kephri
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm Sweden
195 Posts

Profile of Kephri
Really have difficulties to choose only
one favorite math principle/trick as there
are so many good ones around.

But the one I like very much is the old
matrix force using a magic square, which I've
played around with ever since first discovering
it in Becker's "Mentalism for Magicians" many
years ago.

(By the way, just saw that the same routine is
included on the new Osterlind DVD:s)

Re. the Binary Principle, I just found out
Bob Cassidy makes excellent use of it in his
"RV Tester" also.

All the Best

Magnus
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5079 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Fibonacci Series, a sequence of numbers constructed first by Leonardo Fibonacci in 1202. This is a clever way to do a very rapid calculation: you can name the sum of 10 numbers in a second. This concept can be found in The Jinx. No. 91 (1940) or Mathematics Magic and Mystery by Martin Gardner, page: 158.

http://www.mcs.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/R.K......ths.html
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
You can find a nice effect called Mental Credit as a download on http://www.spellonu.com created by Peder Andersson. You use someone's credit card and it can be done over the phone. Check it out and resd more about it!
"There is no reality, only perception."
Paradise
View Profile
Elite user
sheffieldEngland
417 Posts

Profile of Paradise
High stellan is that your website, I am having trouble downloading and ordering if it is

the credit card effect sounds good.

this is a fascinating topic, I have looked at the krukal count and the principle is superb, does anybody know if there are any effetcs already based on this?
Mindbender
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Mindbender
Quote:
On 2004-10-23 15:24, Paradise wrote:
This is a fascinating topic, I have looked at the krukal count and the principle is superb, does anybody know if there are any effetcs already based on this?

For a card effect using this count, go to http://www.ams.org/new-in-math/cover/mulcahy6.html.
Mindbender
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Mindbender
Quote:
On 2004-05-25 05:56, GALIER wrote:
Anybody knows the so-called "The best card trick"? If you like mathematical principles, please consider the Fitch Cheney's trick. In brief:
While the magician is out of the room, one spectator selects five cards. The assistant puts one of them face down and let the other four face up in a row on the table. Then the magician enters to the room, and looking at the cards of the table, is able to divine the fifth card.

Those unfamiliar with this routine can read all about it at http://www.maa.org/horizons/Fitch-Cheney-Mulcahy.PDF.
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
Paradise,

I have checked this with the supplier of our shopping cart software. According to them the problem is caused by the firewall you are sitting behind. There should be a setting somewhere in the firewall software where you can disable the stripping of the referrer. One option for us would be to remove this part of the script, but it would open up a security hole in our cart.

You are the second one who has reported this problem, so try looking at the settings of your firewall software.

If anyone else have this problem, please, let me know.

By the way if you are interested in more math magic with cards check out Cornered in the download section. It will be added to our site in the next couple of days.
"There is no reality, only perception."
Mindbender
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Mindbender
For the Fitch Cheney 'Five Card Trick', try the following link instead: http://www.spelman.edu/~colm/fitch.pdf.
lboudreau
View Profile
Loyal user
Alexandria, Virginia
288 Posts

Profile of lboudreau
Also, let's not forget the De Bruijn sequence (aka, The Bracelet or Necklace Code) that allows ordinary playing cards to be stacked so that their backs may be read. I devoted the better part of my book "Spirited Pasteboards" to this principle.
LEO
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
530 Posts

Profile of sludge
In case anyone didn't already know, Leo's work is awesome and astounding; enabling some of the cleanest mentalism.

Yes, my favourite principle is bracelet code(s).
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
776 Posts

Profile of Loz
Mr. Boudreau, I really enjoyed Spirited Pasteboards, but I have not yet got either of your other two books. Is Skullduggery primarly mentalism without cards? Do you also use De Bruijn sequences extensively in Skullduggery?
lboudreau
View Profile
Loyal user
Alexandria, Virginia
288 Posts

Profile of lboudreau
"Skullduggery" is all mentalism and it includes playing cards. Binary codes are used extensively rather than De Bruijn sequences. "Psimatrika," my first book, shows how to use bracelet codes to stack envelopes, business cards, money, index cards, and so on. It's all mentalism, impromptu mostly, and no playing cards except for one effect at the end.
LEO
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
776 Posts

Profile of Loz
Many thanks - presumably you have no copies left and I have to go to lybrary.com for the electronic version?

Always nicer having the hard copy. Someone should republish your books.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Your Favorite Math Principle/Trick (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL