We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Removing Hiss (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have an old recording that is irreplaceable. Although it is on CD right now, the original source sounds like it might have been a third- or fourth-generation tape, because there is a LOT of hiss.

When I was in college, I was interested in all things relating to sound and recording. I know there were some noise reduction systems such as Dolby®, dbx®, etc., but I am wondering, in this digital age, whether sufficient technological advancements have been made to allow much of the hiss to be eliminated. I would even be willing to send it off to be processed, if absolutely necessary.

Any suggestions?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
gregorymagic
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of gregorymagic
There is a program for PC called Izotope RX and it is by far the best audio restoration program on the market. There are many different programs that claim to remove hiss and tape noise but this one is the best and should be all you need.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
That's an interesting program. I downloaded the demo version this afternoon and processed a file. Problem was, there was so much hiss and so much treble in the sound file that the processed file was unintelligible. I'm sure there is more I can do than just run the "standard" noise processing algorithm on the file, but I'm not sure what it would be.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
gregorymagic
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of gregorymagic
It takes some getting used to. The program is extremely powerful but you have to play around with the settings a lot. I got a lot of audio tape captured sound files cleaned up with it. Keep playing with the sliders to see what happens.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Removing Hiss (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL