The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Shrunken Head Start (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Profile of Marduke Kurios
Has anyone here made shrunken heads before? (I do mean gimmicked ones.)
I'd like to make some for a chop cup routine and a two in the hand/one in the pocket routine. Any ideas where to start or where I can buy some 1" heads? I have looked in craft stores for the appropriate size - no luck. I would use a small action figure head but I don't know how to finish it to look old and gross. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

-Marduke
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

Without Prejudice, All Rights Reserved.
Eddiethe13th
View Profile
New user
NY
7 Posts

Profile of Eddiethe13th
A great way to make your own shrunken heads would be to use FIMA clay. It comes in all sorts of colors and can be baked into a permanent state. Just roll the little piece of clay into a ball and with a pen just push in some eye nose and mouth holes an squish them with yor fingers and it will start to look like a shrunken head, then place some pieces of black thread( set into clay) on the eyes and mouth crossing the holes verticaly and that will resemble the stitche, get some doll hair and glue it to the head after baking. Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
So, you are trying to get "ahead" of the competition are you?

Real size shrunken heads would be too large for a two in the hand one in the pocket routine. I saw some in Martin Grams' travelling museum of the Weird and Strange.

Paul Hallas
kingmedia
View Profile
New user
Colorado
22 Posts

Profile of kingmedia
Dukie - Thaumysta Magic sells a variety of skulls. Not shrunken heads, of course, but it's worth checking on anyway.
http://www.thaumysta.com/

The clay idea is good, too.

Regally Yours,

-k
Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Thank you for the replies.

Eddiethe13th - Good idea. How fragile is FIMA after it is baked?

Paul Hallas - Competition, what competition? Where can I find Martin Grams' museum?

Kingie - I have most of Mary's offerings already. Fortunately, I am able to get a lot of different plastic/bone skulls here in Vancouver. It's strange, but we have a large occult/witch community here on the coast.

Any other suggestions?
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
Try the below link, they have 3 inches and above, call them they may be able to get you a really good deal on a 1 inch.

http://www.tellmewhereonearth.com/shrunken_heads.htm

Kevin Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I will check with Marty and see if he has a web site for the museum. Marty is based in PA.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Don't forget the old trick of carving an apple to resemble a head and then let it dry out to create a reasonable facsimile of a shrunken head.

Add some "stitches" to the mouth and eyes, and some fake hair, and you'll have something that looks and feels creepy.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Wow!

Thanks a lot Sir T and Paul and Philemon.

These are great ideas! I completely forgot about appleheads. And that head website is perfect for the jumbo load (among other things).

Thanks again guys!
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
Marduke,

Make sure you check out their Gem Skulls, good stuff!If you are ever in need of the......different let me know, I have a line on most of the good stuff, always happy to help.

Kevin Smile
dekkeret
View Profile
New user
Paris
54 Posts

Profile of dekkeret
The apple method is explained in this article:
Making your own fake shrunken head at
http://freeweb.pdq.net/headstrong/shrunken.htm

Olivier
"I can only show you the door, you're the one who has to walk through it."
Morpheus to Neo in "The Matrix"
Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Thanks a lot for your help guys!

This is perfect information!
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Also try ;http://www.boneyardbargains.com/Shopping/Body_Parts/Bucky_rollover.html
They have lts of great stuff,
"..Tell them Igor sent your.."
Most magically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
Here is another crazy site.
http://www.funideas.com/product.asp?pid=30

real animal skin ....uh hmmmmm?

E-Leoni.
Nick Collins
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
4 Posts

Profile of Nick Collins
Marduke,
Not sure if you need the info any longer but I recently purchased a great how-to book on the subject.
It may be of interest to you!
https://www.amazon.com/Shrunken-Heads-Wo......ss+Adams

Good Luck!
-Nick
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
After 20 years? That would be a long lasting quest.
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Looks like a great book. I had several of the goat skin variety, and they became infested with some sort of bug larva after sitting out for many years. I had to toss them. Maybe it is time for me to make my own
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2002, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Don't forget the old trick of carving an apple to resemble a head and then let it dry out to create a reasonable facsimile of a shrunken head.

Add some "stitches" to the mouth and eyes, and some fake hair, and you'll have something that looks and feels creepy.

Boy does that bring back memories. I'm pretty sure that creating the apple shrunken heads is when my mom realized beyond doubt that my brother and I where not normal kids. Somehow she continued to love us as only a mother can do. God rest her sweet soul.
Bob
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
That's a great book
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Shrunken Head Start (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL