The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » I'm dying out here (in SF) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
In the last 3 weeks I've made upwards of 60$ with my street show...

aaaargh!

fortunately I'm not just in it for the money........
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Gee Gaddy
I am feeling for you things can get tough, I assume you don't mean that is what you took for three weeks work do you?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
For the few hours I've been out there the past few weeks...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Hey Gaddy,
Keep in mind this economy is pretty bad, people losing their jobs...they are tending to hold onto what little money they have.....I think you're seeing the reality side of it...unfortunately having to work more hours to make close to the same money we made last year is probably the norm...
I did get my new table finished. I used the 23" x 31" Foam core board from Blick super light, huge surface $32, several layers of foam rubber 3 x $9.97, with billiard table red on top about $30. Had a Master cabinet maker friend of mine put the oak corners on $15...picked it up Wed night...absolutely gorgeous...total investment was about $110...I'll take some digitals and upload them later.
Bill
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Just curious is this ~60 a day for 2,4,6 hours of work or what?

We know the economy is bad and jobless claims have reached record highs...
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Gaddy,... when's the wake?!?!! With a name like `Gaddy', we should do it Irish! Hey maybe we could hire some `entertainment'! I understand you can get a good deal on Magicians now. Funerals are always a good reason to party,... especially when they're not your own!

"always look on the......",
gallagher
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Gaddy, you are lucky you are not in Michigan. If you was, you would really be dieing in the cold.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Old Street Performers never die. They just write a Book. Make a DVD. Start giving lectures and workshops,... and tell everybody how great `the life' is,.... and "how" to do it RIGHT!,... maybe even `vanish' for a month or two! ,.... hey, what a job!!

all the best,
gallagher
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
LOL. Good one Gallagher. That's true. They make all their money busking the new street buskers.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Mike, let's write a book. We could call it: "The Truth about Busking: In Black and White." Or how about, "How to Make Your First Million With Busking", under the pseudonyms: Willie Makeit and Betty Wont. Or, "Busking on Fourlane Highways" by Hugo Furst.

By the way Mike, I read your first book: "How to get rich quick with the `Dynamike System'". Yeah, it's a real best-seller in Sing-Sing.

all the best Mike, keep smiling brother,
someday, we'll get it together!
gallagher
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I'd never make it as a full-time busker. I just don't have that much energy to give every day, over and over. But I do it in the summers about once a week.

Regardless of how much you do make, it's certainly a venue that will improve your performances, if you're honest with yourself.

What's the old quote... "One year of busking is like 10 years on stage"

Even if you just make $20 a day, it seems worth it to get out there and test out your act for real people with real reactions.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Yeah, the few times I went out, it was great. I usually saw about $40.00 for a few hours work. (Not counting the time I made about $3.00, then spent $4.50 on lunch so I ended up losing money that day!)

I know it wasn't $$$ for 12 hours work the way the big shots do it. But I entertained a few people and made a few bucks. It felt good.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Mike, I've been thinking about it; maybe we should write a `specialty book'? Know what I mean?,... we could charge more for it! I was thinking, maybe something for near-sighted-buskers. "To Lure With Spectacles".,.. or maybe a book for guys busking with their dogs; "Tails from the Street".

,.... hey Mike, do you do Ventrilaquism? We could maybe write, "Apocalips".

got to go, I'll be in touch,
gallagher
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I can't wait, Gallagher. We are going to be rich.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
OK Mike!,...and we'll cut the money, 50% for me. And you get 60% of the remainder. OK Mike? 60%!!,.. and I'll take the last, little, meager,.. 40% that's laying around. OK?

Hey, Mike, maybe we shouldn't do it for money,.... but for the Art?,.. hmmm. You know, we could set up a "Dying Buskers Fund". All the proceeds from my book,... OUR book, go into the fund.. We could be the `Fund Supervisors',... know what I mean? Gosh, maybe we don't even have to write the Book!,.. peoples could just donate money!! `Good people', that is. `Successful People',..... yeah, I'm starting to get confused, as well. Guess we might as well stick to washing dishes,....eh, Busking.

Take care of your hands Mike,
remember, always where rubber gloves,
gallagher
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I will let you make all the rules, Gallagher. That is because I know you must have a terrific brain on your shoulders to make it to where you are now.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
That made me laugh, LOL
Thanks guys
Mario
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Gaddy if yu taking $60 in a few hours, out of season, in the cold well it is better than a kick in the teath. I use to work Glasgow, in the mid winter, I be lucky to make 80 pounds in a whole day. some times it was worse, like real crap. All this in freezing temp. The cold can do some strange things to your body, first of your brian slows down. The secound thing was by the end of the day or I could do was sleep, pain in joints and so on.
Keep on keeping on their is light at the end of the tunnel and if you can work the street in the winter well that is what real workers are made from.
Saying that I live in Spain now.
Mario
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Gaddy,

Where's your spot? I'll come toss a copper or two in the hat. If you're in the city of SF, I'll come watch a bit.

KG
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Gallagher and co, thanks for the entertainment regarding books and making money from them. it gave me a few laughs.Here in New Zealand it's summer time, with very hot days mostly. I've been down in a small city called Wanganui for about a month, busking a couple of hours each 2nd day. Not making much regarding money, about half of what I get at the northern city of Whangarei. But I've hatted enough to more than pay the fare home when I return. I'm gaining experience, which money doesn't buy, and improving my show. I've met some interesting people, seen some unusual sights while busking. My sponge balls are taking flight - First I lost one while at a bus stop, then yesterday lost 2 at another bus stop. At the end of my shows I'm going to have to lock the balls up securely, not just drop them in my bag with general gear then have them drop out when I fetch something else from that pocket in the bag. I have got some sponge hearts which I will use. I came across some sponge ball clown noses in a $2 shop. They have a big slit in them for putting on the nose - but I reckon they will do. I should have brought Jimmy's book down with me and Kozmo's DVDs [both great resources, and I came south before I watched all of DVD2]. When I came down I applied for a Trader's License for street performing and it took something like 2 1/2 hours for the whole procedure. I asked for a permit for a year and got given 2 weeks! [Ive aleady gone 3 week over that and am still going out.] So I was left with their terms that I was to let the City Council know by phone when I would be coming down to busk, each time. I wish I'd just ignored getting permission and just gone out busking like I do in Whangarei[which has better hats].
All the best to you northern guys and gals.
Colin
The presentation makes the magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » I'm dying out here (in SF) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL