The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Short or long? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jake.o
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of jake.o
Do you prefere 1 long practice session or a few short ones. Because I am unempolyed I am able to do both but was wondering what works best for everybody else.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
During the work week I practice on an average of about an hour a day.
On days off I may practice and rehearse about 2-3 hours.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Both, short ones for learning new routines or moves, longer ones when rehearsing shows.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
dsacks
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of dsacks
Quote:
On 2009-02-13 22:13, Father Photius wrote:
Both, short ones for learning new routines or moves, longer ones when rehearsing shows.

I would agree with Father Photius, but be care -- don't burn yourself out.

Also, I've notice that sometimes with myself I need to take a break during long rehearsal periods....I start to go crazy so I need to walk away for a bit -- for example, go shopping with the wife ;-)

Anyhow, carry on...

David
Maurice James
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Maurice James
I have learned that anytime, focused time, spent practicing is beneficial. If you can set aside a big chunk of time great! If all you have is 10-15 minutes that is fine as well. The important thing is that your practice time be spent deeply focused on getting something accomplished. Of course if you are working on a show you will want to set aside a bigger chunk of time. But I have scheduled 3 hour rehearsals that have resulted in very little getting done because the people involved want to fart around instead of rehearse the show. Again, concentrated amounts of time will greatly benefit you. Unfocused time is not helpful.
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Short; but if t depends on you. Try both and see which is most successful
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3650 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
If I'm into it and have the time hours can pass quickly.
There is no better practice than enjoyable practice.

If it's drills like memory things or repetitive movements like flourishes a little every day can keep me from back sliding and forgetting. I make it a game and track my improvement. little bits of time add up.

Sometimes I have to set the show and put on the wardrobe and do the whole thing to make any progress.

So, I really need all sorts of practice to improve different areas.

-Mary Mowder
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Pulled out my old routine after 3 years and it came back after about three run-thrus.
Except for the coins.
I was aghast at how stiff the 'ol fingers had become.
So now I'm back to carrying halfs & a silver eagle everywhere. Amazing how much idle time there in during the day to practise moves and rolls.

Otherwise, I'm practicing 2 hours a day of all new material with additional time for planning the sequence order, the look, character, etc.
Not at the point of putting the full new act together just yet.
The old stuff still works. It's just time for something different.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Aaron Jones
View Profile
New user
Japan
19 Posts

Profile of Aaron Jones
I practice and rehearse in a few ways. I practice the technical parts of my effects. Then next I will perform the full routine. Then I'll rehearse the whole show from start to beginning in full dress. The times differ for each part depending on time and schedule. Of course when I have only short time to practice I just do the technical practice which takes less time than the full routine or whole show rehearsal. This way depending on the length of my practice time I always have parts of my show I can work on.
InventorRu
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of InventorRu
I nearly always work from a list.One of the things on the list will be complete runs through but also will be various sections that need close attention and the links between components.However in terms of time I think it has to be 'as long as you can maintain standards' I don't think its good to keep walking through things with bad posture for example,i think this can lead to learning bad habits.Then after a break you might find that you can come back to it and be fresh enough to maintain standards again
.Often because I'm usually working on lots of skills some of which are long established ones,some new,some involving training new muscles and still others being things I'm wrestling with mentally.I find that I cannot cope with them all at once so will alternate them between sessions,which is how I've ended up using a list.
RodHousley
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of RodHousley
It is best to practice something fresh, then set it down and come back to it fresh again as this helps with how you will actually be performing the illusion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Short or long? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL