The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Invisible Deck??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magic_rice55
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of magic_rice55
When doing the routine where the magician has an empty paper sack and the performer tosses the "Imaginary Deck" to an audience member and they pick a card, turn it around and toss the "Imaginary Deck " back to the magician;when the magician catches the "Deck" inside the sack it magically materializes. I have performed a variation of this trick many times and I have seen many other magicians perform it. Before the trick begins though you are not able to show that the sack is actually empty because this is where the magician is "palming" the deck. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way that you could hide the deck some where else while you showed the sack was actually empty and still have the deck back inside the sack by the time you had to catch the "Imaginary Deck" and make it materialize??
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
Wouldn't a coin bag work? I don't have any idea how they work, nor require any use for one (I also know they are expensive for the good ones). Maybe somthing with a hat (I saw one recently that is actually fashioned as a baseball cap) or somthing along the lines like 'Miser's Dream' where you could palm it off and have somthing made up to make it sound like somthing hit it. Hope some of those help (if not directly, help with going in the right direction) =)

Brandon
viler
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
186 Posts

Profile of viler
I think one of the reasons for using a paper bag is because it makes a "paper bag" sound when you drop the deck into it. Not sure if the coin bag makes a sound.

V.
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
Sleeve the deck in your right sleeve. Show the bag empty (hand it out if you like) and hold it in your left hand.
When the spectator throws the deck you make a cathing motion with your left hand and snaps the fingers of that hand. This causes the catching sound in the bag (it's a very old gag).
Then you retrieve the deck from the sleeve and put your right hand into the bag to produce it.

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well (Donald Duck)
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
Turn the bag upside down,and don't make any remark, that would show the bag empty, and go on with the effect. owln_1
Jonathan Smith
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Smith
Try an Egg Bag that you really show inside and out before the production.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2009-02-19 12:15, Jonathan Smith wrote:
Try an Egg Bag that you really show inside and out before the production.

That's a great idea!
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
How about a double bag? Slide one into another, tuck the deck between the two (on the side closest to you), and pinch any gap closed with the hand that holds the bag.

Use the finger snap to make the sound, raech in a pull out the deck. : )

-Dan
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Leo-Kim's suggestion is the way to go. Simple and strong. Empty paper sack, sleeved deck. This is the way I've been doing it for years.

You can have the deck in your inside coat pocket and, when you're ready, reach into your coat to retrieve the invisible pack of cards. In that action, simply pull the deck out of your pocket and drop it down your sleeve, then bring your hand back out, pretending to hold the invisible cards. Proceed from there.
It's all in the reflexes.
Fred Johnson
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Fred Johnson
If you use your sleeve why not try to produce the deck bare handed?
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I have very often produced the deck bare-handed. I toss the "invisible" cards to someone and have them "shuffled". I then ask then to toss the deck back. They mime doing so and as I reach out to catch it, the deck the deck appears at my fingertips. The effect is that it instantly becomes visible as I catch it.
Fred Johnson
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Fred Johnson
And you don'y need a bag.
Doruk Ãœlgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ãœlgen
A coin bag or an egg bag with a net front is the way to go....
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Correct, Fred. No need for the bag with that second version. Both are great options. One is a sudden surprise, the other is what seems to be a gag with a slow reveal of the cards. Surprising in a gentler way.

I disagree about using an egg bag or mesh bag for this. I think a paper lunch sack is perfect because everyone relates to it immediately and understands the simple nature of it.
REV BILL
View Profile
Special user
Glen Burnie Maryland
788 Posts

Profile of REV BILL
I agree with Dan."How about a double bag? Slide one into another, tuck the deck between the two (on the side closest to you), and pinch any gap closed with the hand that holds the bag." The simplest is the best. K.I.S.S.
Specializing in Family Entertainment,Gospel,Comedy and Educational programs for over 30 years.(Order of Merlin)
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
How about making an egg bag out of paper bags?
You were born original... Don't die a copy Smile
55john55
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of 55john55
If you would consider using an assistant in the audience you can pass a cloth bag to a few people to examine. The last person to examine the bag is your assistant who drops the deck in from his/her sleeve.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
There's no need to show the bag empty. Pick it up and shake it out while clipping the deck to the inside of the bag (near top).
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
Magic_rice55,
Empty paper bag, body load, have spectator 'pick a bag' open it for you, start your bit, toss the invisible deck, "finger snap" bag for the effect of something falling into the bag, palm deck, reach in and produce your deck. Keeps you clean prior and is rather stunning to your audience.
Regards,
John
sgtnewlon@buncounit.com
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Invisible Deck??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL