The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Zach Waldman? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I'm just going to sit back with a bowl of popcorn and watch how this plays out. (At least until the thread is locked or deleted.)
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2009-02-10 23:20, montymagi wrote:
Only if you have munchies...I mean snacks at the party.

But then he'd be playing to the high school/college crowd.

Speaking of which, I bet you'd get the Michael Phelps gig! Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-02-10 21:54, johndraws wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-10 20:19, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea after a huge 33 posts you should feel free to call out the moderators LOL. Good plan.

In the spirit of your new thought process you wish to expouse the idea that you can call someones ideas "dumb" and not call them "dumb" in the process is idiotic.

I hope that works for you.

I asked if the moderators would care to comment. If you can read and actually comprehend what is in print (which I doubt more and more with your every post) you would see that I also am led to believe there actually is other reasons why Zach may have been banned. The benefit of the doubt is there big guy. I am obviously not the only one to ask. You point out my small post count as if your measuring scale means diddly. Many posts does not equate knowledge. But keep trying. I am new here however This is not my first message board. I would like to know why Zach was deleted or banned. Quite possibly, this might not be the right place for me. There is a difference between calling one idea dumb and saying everything you do is dumb. I personally would not have chosen the word dumb. I have no clue why I need to explain the obvious to someone as smart as you....

You are exactly the self appointed "know it all" I refer to. The more you post insults...the more evident it is that you are far less intelligent than you wish people to believe. Good job.

Wow you seem pretty insulted when I simply said the idea was idiotic. I guess the difference then lies within the fact that it was YOUR idea that was called idiotic? Seems to be the only difference.

So let us apply your last post to the logical end. Obviously the more YOU post insults the more evident it is that you are far less intelligent than you wish people to believe right? As you say, good job.

My reference to your post count was simply to mention that perhaps it would be better for you to get to know the moderators, sort of see how things work prior to asking them to defend decisions is all I really was saying.

High post count means NOTHING as to actual knowlege. But a low post count does mean people may not know you quite as well. I think someone as obviously smart as you are should be able to see the point right?

Quote:
On 2009-02-10 23:28, Magic_Steve wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-10 23:20, montymagi wrote:
Only if you have munchies...I mean snacks at the party.

But then he'd be playing to the high school/college crowd.

Speaking of which, I bet you'd get the Michael Phelps gig! Smile

In all the stupidity here on the thread, we miss the best joke of the whole thing. Now I hope they keep the thread here as this is a great joke sir!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
johndraws
View Profile
Loyal user
Danville, Illinois
202 Posts

Profile of johndraws
Quote:
On 2009-02-10 23:29, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-10 21:54, johndraws wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-10 20:19, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea after a huge 33 posts you should feel free to call out the moderators LOL. Good plan.

In the spirit of your new thought process you wish to expouse the idea that you can call someones ideas "dumb" and not call them "dumb" in the process is idiotic.

I hope that works for you.

I asked if the moderators would care to comment. If you can read and actually comprehend what is in print (which I doubt more and more with your every post) you would see that I also am led to believe there actually is other reasons why Zach may have been banned. The benefit of the doubt is there big guy. I am obviously not the only one to ask. You point out my small post count as if your measuring scale means diddly. Many posts does not equate knowledge. But keep trying. I am new here however This is not my first message board. I would like to know why Zach was deleted or banned. Quite possibly, this might not be the right place for me. There is a difference between calling one idea dumb and saying everything you do is dumb. I personally would not have chosen the word dumb. I have no clue why I need to explain the obvious to someone as smart as you....

You are exactly the self appointed "know it all" I refer to. The more you post insults...the more evident it is that you are far less intelligent than you wish people to believe. Good job.

Wow you seem pretty insulted when I simply said the idea was idiotic. I guess the difference then lies within the fact that it was YOUR idea that was called idiotic? Seems to be the only difference.

So let us apply your last post to the logical end. Obviously the more YOU post insults the more evident it is that you are far less intelligent than you wish people to believe right? As you say, good job.

My reference to your post count was simply to mention that perhaps it would be better for you to get to know the moderators, sort of see how things work prior to asking them to defend decisions is all I really was saying.

High post count means NOTHING as to actual knowlege. But a low post count does mean people may not know you quite as well. I think someone as obviously smart as you are should be able to see the point right?

This is your second attempt to take a dig at me by suggesting someone with such a low post count should not give advice. Secondly it comes directly from the fact that you disagree. You (try to) manipulate by inflating the importance of your own thoughts.I don't think you should be banned or cannot say my thought process is idiotic. But knowing how you feel based on your own posts, you feel that you cannot call a thought dumb or in this case idiotic, without insulting the person. You admit your intentions of your last post that was directed at me. Again...good job.
Zach on the other hand gave something positive back to the board. I have yet to witness this from you....but then again, I will take your advice and try to get to know you. So far, it has become a less than pleasurable experience.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I can't imagine it will get much better for you.

You can't seem to grasp what I am saying so let me try again.

Actually you did in your second to last sentence. You have the end of it there, just hold on.

What I mean is that with SO FEW posts nobody knows you, or really anything about you. This in NO WAY means you are wrong, or right, good or bad, tall or short, or anything of the sort. It only means that we are on our end (or at least MY end) operating from an almost COMPLETE ignorance. Ignorance about who you are, what your experiences are and so forth.

SO that puts it in an odd situation. I hope you can see this post is not trying to blast you or bash you in any way shape or form. I am explaining the position. With more posts, people will get to know you and you them.

Also the only other thing I know of you is on another thread you stated you do NOT DO restaurant magic, BUT here is your advice. Now to me, this seems horrific. Giving advice about a topic you have next to no knowlege of.

As for my "intentions" well I was using YOUR rules to deal with YOU. You should know from your management experience that you have to deal with people on their own terms and everyone is different.

You think Zach had something positive to add? Great. You think I add nothing, well this is an opinion. They are sort of like noses, everyone has one. I am sure a couple of people could give you an opinion about that subject if you asked, but then again I am not so certain you take others opinions very well. I am what I am to you and will not change no matter what is shown to the contrary. No biggie.

I do not inflate the importance of my own thoughs, with the exception of the simple fact that I don't try to give advice about things I have not done.

I am sure you will be offended, though believe it or not I have no intention of it. I see you are a last word sort of guy, so go ahead. This thread is about to be gone anyhow if history is any guide.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2009-02-10 23:24, Stanyon wrote:
I'm just going to sit back with a bowl of popcorn and watch how this plays out. (At least until the thread is locked or deleted.)

May I join you? (I brought my own popcorn.) Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Be my guest Michael. How 'bout a beer?
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I thought he was taking the "easy way out" doing a "pot head" trick.
I also think it's irresponsible at any venue.

Would he have gotten a good reaction doing a straight magic trick/act?
I'm not sure the reactions were in response to anything except the drug props.
How difficult is it to get applause producing drug paraphernalia in a room full of dope smokers?

Seemed more like Bevis and Butthead magic to me.

On the other hand, he could have just done 45 mins of great magic and finished with a comedy piece with the theme of the event. I can see that as a possibility but I still don't like the drug references.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2009-02-10 20:58, montymagi wrote:
How about there is a place on the Café' for vendors to pitch new product and in this case every post was a pitch for his product. Just about every post was a Commercial. Then to top it off he started slamming rival products in the guise of a "post". I can see where he was pushing it.

If you didn't like his posts or his "commercials" then you didn't have to flip to that station, you certainly weren't asked to buy anything, were you? Smile

I have seen far worse peddling in THIS section before Smile
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
You are right and most of the time I did just ignore anything he had to say. I am not the one who removed him, just speculating as to why he may have been removed over and above calling a respected person's ideas dumb. No one has a right to be here accept the person who runs this website. We are all guest and can be asked to leave if not adhering to the rules.

As far as being asked to buy something, Yes with his very first post.
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
In reference to the video, calling any magic "good" because it got a reaction can be misleading. I have to agree with Frank here. My father-in-law told me about a magician that the company he worked for hired to perform for one of their events. The magician asked the CEO's wife to assist him. He then performed the Magic DingDong (I know that everything we have read and seen recommends that we will get a stronger reaction from using the spectator's hands). Obviously, he got a reaction, but I seriously doubt that company will ever hire a magician again.

Bob Phillips
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
Ok but what if you were hired to do magic at a strip bar or a swingers club? That would be an excelent routine and would fit the venue. However if seen out of context would make most people think you have lost your mind. I'm just saying. If old Zach would try that routine at say Fraternal Brotherhood of Police picnic I suspect it would not have ended well for him. The right tricks for the right people in the right venue. However, none of that has anything to do with acting like a car salesman on this website. Smile

Monty
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Monty,

You are absolutely right. Zach mentioned in one of his postings that he previously worked for Howard Stern (that may explain his presentation/communication style). He did have some valuable things to say, but the brashness and the repeated hawking made it difficult for me to unearth this.

I am trying to look at this from a corporate perspective (side note...what are the odds of being hired to perform magic at a strip bar? Pretty slim I would think, at least for me, and even if I were offered the job, I would not take it...there's enough abuse and grief in life without going out hunting for it). The CEO of a company is wanting entertainment for their event, so they put one of their underlings in charge of hiring said entertainment. The underling is totally responsible for hiring said entertainer, and will reap the total consequences of the results. Move on to the video, or the aforementioned example that I gave.

Now on to the website you mentioned. I dislike hard sell as much as you do. There is a wealth of valuable marketing references that are already out there. I have no problem spending the $200 in my wallet, but felt my money could be better spent elsewhere, particularly given the examples I saw, and other material out there that is a better match for me. Also, the free bonus of "How to pick up girls with magic without looking like a geek" just did not fit my needs.

I realize that Zach was endorsed by Doc Eason, because "he is working more than a lot of people in LA." I'm sure that Zach's style works for him, but I'm working in middle America (Kansas) and not on the west coast. His style would not work for me, either for performing or for marketing.

Bob Phillips
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
Bob I agree 100%
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To be fair, and I do mean fair, Zach is not here to defend himself. Agree or disagree with his leaving, he is not here to answer objections to what is said. Thus I feel it unnecessary to comment on his course at all as he may very well have plausable explinations for all things, we just can't hear them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
I think that video is worth addressing.

Zach is clearly engaging and charismatic and I get the feeling he is very funny in person, however -

it was not good magic at all!

Sensitive topics such as mind-altering substances should be a gold mine for the more thoughtful performer. As performers we are almost uniquely qualified to tackle such thorny subjects (for the right audience of course)but we must handle them in an artistically and intellectually sound way.

I think we can all agree that the Amazing Johnathon is largely sucessful commercially and artistically - so we know madcap comedy involving drugs can work, just not here. Indeed,my personal hero Eugene Burger has some drug-related humor in some routines, but it is subtle and ultimately fits his character.

A similar hubbub ensued when I brought up the subject of sexually charged material - but I never meant for it to be presented in this manner, superficially and as a novelty. I can easily understand how someone finds that offensive.

I still believe that Zach is a smart guy and had a lot of genuine knowledge of how to market yourself, but this clip does leave me wondering about what it is exactly that he's marketing.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am simply not comfortable with him not being able to respond.

I am not sure he was going for "good magic" as much as just a theme.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
On a previous thread someone was asking about how to overcome fear of performing in public.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41

Zack had mentioned the use of a certain substance and stated that he had a Doctor's prescription for medical reasons.( certain posts were deleted) He also became defensive, I thought,regarding his promotion of said substance. After watching the video, his medical reasoning just didn't seem to fit.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2009-02-11 14:44, Natanel wrote:
...it was not good magic at all!

Not every piece in a magic act needs to be "good magic".
Remember, we're not necessarily seeing the entire act so we need to be careful.

I've seen many of today's top names do a one-off piece (seemingly) to drop the tension down a notch for a while.

The growing-shrinking head illusion is one such item that I think fits that theme.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
Quote:
On 2009-02-11 17:19, Frank Starsini wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-11 14:44, Natanel wrote:
...it was not good magic at all!

Not every piece in a magic act needs to be "good magic".
Remember, we're not necessarily seeing the entire act so we need to be careful.

Yes but with the growing shrinking head you don't act like you are dropping acid. Smile

I've seen many of today's top names do a one-off piece (seemingly) to drop the tension down a notch for a while.

The growing-shrinking head illusion is one such item that I think fits that theme.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Zach Waldman? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL