We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Dungeon DVD - A Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

einhorn
View Profile
Regular user
London
183 Posts

Profile of einhorn
The Dungeon DVD £25:00 TVMAGIC.CO.UK and all good dealers

There are 10 tricks taught on this DVD many of which were published in Anthony Owen’s excellent and now obsolete Dungeon magazine.
This series of magazines published during the early 1990’s was an incredible resource overlooked by many at the time of publication.
This DVD now allows us all to look back at those glory days of the 1990’s and see a young Anthony Owen, Marc Paul and John Lenahan explaining a variety of very commercial and usable routines.
This is a re-release of the original Dungeon video with some updated handling and methodology added and discussed.
As always, credits here are plentiful, with very little fluff surrounding explanations – with the exception of a few scenes hosted by Danny Buckler which in my opinion add little to the overall package.
Highlights for me are the excellent Holey Security Guards based on an idea by Majax, Dingle, Kaufman and Krenzel. The bonus section also explores an updated handling for Anthony and Pete Firman’s Holy Sh*t gimmicks. You’ll need to buy these separately but you may find yourself reaching for your wallet this after seeing just how good it looks.
Several of the routines are misnamed on the cover which is a little odd. One of these is Marc Paul’s “Mutilated Parasols” shown on the DVD cover as “Cocktail Combustion”. It fooled me and I am sure you’ll enjoy watching it. Whether you want to go to the trouble of making the necessary gimmicks is another matter, but for the right place at the right time this is a super routine with a very well worked out handling.
Miracle Monte is a clever Monte routine that not only fools, but can be adapted for all manner of usages.
The original No Palm Card to Wallet is described and then discussed by a modern day Anthony Owen with his latest thoughts and updated handling. (The required gimmick is also included free in the DVD box).
I have seen John Lenahan perform the Bachelor’s Needle often over the past 10 years and as simple as it is had no clue as to how he did it. I have seen him get great reactions with this. Lenahan’ s explanation of the Bachelor’s Needle is clear and concise. I now have an additional phase for my ring on string routine thank you very much. (Sadly the originator of this effect is unknown.)
Other highlights include a superb Sucker Silks routine which will allow you to perform the standard routine without the dye tube. When you see it you’ll agree that all dye tubes should now be thrown immediately into your bin and recycled!
Lenahan explains one of the very best card tricks you could ever do for anyone and I am amazed that it is not recognised as a modern day classic already. Oh, it is also self working!
The Elevated Matrix sent my head reeling. I had no clue as to the method and was absolutely floored when I saw what the gimmick was. I had two in my drawer next to me and never even knew it! A guaranteed magician fooler and simplex version of the coin matrix that rivals the best routines I have had the pleasure of seeing. It is also quite simple to perform.
The DVD is quite dated as it is a re-release of an old 1990’s video, but almost all of the routines are going to make you smile, most will fool you and you’ll probably want to perform at least some of the routines explained.
In summary, this DVD offers a very creative range of effects and methods which left me realising that I don’t know as much about magic as I thought I did!
Recommended.
Anthony Owen
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
204 Posts

Profile of Anthony Owen
Thanks for the flattering review Nick. I'm delighted that you enjoyed it so much.

I thought some Café members might be interested to know a bit of history about this recently released DVD.

From 1993 until 1995 I edited and published a quarterly magazine called The Dungeon. Primarily the focus was close-up magic but it also contained a wide variety of performance material, essays, in depth interviews, reviews, gossip and chit chat.

I'm very proud of the high level of contributors I managed to attract to the magazine. These included Guy Hollingworth, Angelo Carbone, Andy Nyman, Marc Paul, Max Maven, Jon Allen, John Lenahan, Ali Bongo, Stephen Mulhern, Peter Duffie, Richard Wiseman, Simon Lovell, Alan Shaxon, Roy Walton, Jack Avis, Alex Elmsley, David Penn, Bobby Bernard, Ian Keable, Alistair Cook, Mark Leveridge, Michael Ammar, Dan Harlan, Troy Hooser, Paul Hallas, Malcolm Yaffe, Richard Griffin, Phillip Hitchcock and many more. Danny Buckler was my Art Editor and - just like today - always made me laugh out loud. The magazines are all out of print now (although I think the guys at H & R Books still have a couple of copies of some issues) and somewhere there are 100 limited edition bound sets which were released by Dynamic FX around 1996, although I've only ever seen one of those change hands.

Sometime in 1995 Marc Paul, Danny Buckler, John Lenahan and I got together at a studio near London with Bob Hamilton of The Magic Video Company and over two days we had a blast recording some of our favourite tricks from the magazine and a few other unreleased things. I felt that the resulting VHS managed to capture the fun spirit of the magazine and was flattered that it got great reviews from the reviewers at Genii, MAGIC magazine, The Linking Ring, Abracadabra etc.

After being unavailable for some time I was recently badgered by some friends into re-releasing the VHS on DVD. They told me they felt the material was still great and deserved to be enjoyed by those who missed the initial release. Personally I think they just wanted to embarrass me into showing the magic world my mid 90s look again!

The folks at TVMagic.co.uk asked me to shoot some bonus material sharing updated thoughts on some of the content. As an additional bonus I also included my new handling for my collaboration with Pete Firman, Holey ****! This handling begins and ends with a regular deck and enables all the cards to be examined before and after the effect.

Not a review I know, but I thought you might be interested!

Oh, and in case any of you have already purchased the DVD (or the original version of Miracle Monte by Andy Nyman and I) you might be interested to know that I recently came up a new handling for Miracle Monte which I think is even better than the original. For a limited time the guys at TVMagic.co.uk are giving it away FREE as a PDF. I'm not sure when they'll stop this offer so I suggest you go check it out today. Click here for more information:

http://tvmagic.co.uk/tvmagicshop/product......d3e6fa85

It's been fun to remember the past, now I'm off to sort out the new series' of Derren Brown and The Real Hustle.. ; )

Best,

Anthony Owen
facebook.com/anthony.owen1
Twitter @anthonyowenmagi
Anthony Owen exclusive products at TVMagic.co.uk
Anthony Owen
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
204 Posts

Profile of Anthony Owen
By the way, I'd be interested to know, are there any old Dungeon subscribers out there?

Best,

Anthony
Twitter @anthonyowenmagi
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
566 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
I was a subscriber, and I can attest to the great routines in the magazine. I had to sell my set a couple of years ago, but I have fond memories of reading it on the train back through from Roy's.

Take care, Ian
Anthony Owen
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
204 Posts

Profile of Anthony Owen
Hi Ian,

Good to hear from you and to chat to you at Blackpool.

I'm delighted you have fond memories of The Dungeon. I was flattered to have Roy Walton as a supporter of the magazine.

Any more ex-Dungeon folk out there?

Best,

Anthony
Twitter @anthonyowenmagi
Anthony Owen
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
204 Posts

Profile of Anthony Owen
I thought you guys might be interested to know that there's now an on-line trailer for The Dungeon DVD here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY04UbTb6ps
Twitter @anthonyowenmagi
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Dungeon DVD - A Review (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL