The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » True Astonishments Disks 1 & 2: Full Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Stop being offended like little girls and start writing reviews of your own.

Nimrod

p.s. BLaine, Blaine , Blaine.. come on, I'm still looking for one effect from this set that appeared on Blain's specials. Paul is a genius. I'll be the first to admit it. I'm not reviewing Paul, I'm reviewing the effects in this set. The first 2 discs are nothing special.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I didn't bother writing a review because so many got to it before I even received my set. I did tell a few friends that there is a pretty wide mix of stuff on here. Stuff I'll use every night, stuff I'll never use, and stuff I'll play with, and maybe use if the right occasion comes up. But I have to say that Twilight Angels is anything but mediocre. If you think it is, my guess is you don't perform for real people in the real world, (for real money.) I'm a guy who likes my half-passes, pinky breaks, Elmsley counts and faro shuffles. When Twilight Angels was released I didn't think it was a big deal. However, considering I got this set a few days before Valentine's day I took that as a sign. I did it for a few tables all weekend, (only had 4 cards) and the reactions were stellar. Every table gave at least a $20 tip. To us it may not be earth shattering, but to a layman, it's very powerful, and in my book, THAT'S who matters.
jrl41090
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of jrl41090
Quote:
On 2009-02-18 18:04, Jason Messina wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-18 12:02, nimrod wrote:
Watched Disc 2.

This doesn't look good. Again only 4 effects, and I don't agree with the lame excuse that there is not enough space on the disc. I can show you DVDs with 10 effects on them. This DVD should have at least 6-7 effects on it. Right now the first 2 discs are a rip off for that price. The truth must be said.
Going for disc 3.

Well if you save your money, for $55 you can buy 4 tricks here:
http://www.magicproshop.com/shalosh-stag......001.html

Which, at 62 pages, I'm sure is a much better value.....

Wow. Nimrod has officially been shown up. I think it's about time people stop trying to cause controversy, and just accept the situation for what it is. I sure hope Nimrod doesn't show himself to be more of a hypocrite than he already is...
jrl41090
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of jrl41090
Quote:
On 2009-02-18 19:53, kissdadookie wrote:
Ok, good for you nimrod. You can go sell your set, burn it, use them as coasters, use them for arts and craft, whatever. I don't have a issue with negative reviews but apparently they are getting sillier and sillier.

I know it is five AM here in Ohio, but your comment simply made me laugh out loud. Whether or not it is because of a lack of sleep our just your humorous and witty personality, this comment brightened my day. I think I will convert my set into a sturdy and visually appealing storage device for my Gamecube. Thanks Paul!
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Quote:
On 2009-02-19 04:57, jrl41090 wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-18 18:04, Jason Messina wrote:
Quote:
Watched Disc 2.

This doesn't look good. Again only 4 effects, and I don't agree with the lame excuse that there is not enough space on the disc. I can show you DVDs with 10 effects on them. This DVD should have at least 6-7 effects on it. Right now the first 2 discs are a rip off for that price. The truth must be said.
Going for disc 3.

Well if you save your money, for $55 you can buy 4 tricks here:
http://www.magicproshop.com/shalosh-stag......001.html

Which, at 62 pages, I'm sure is a much better value.....

Wow. Nimrod has officially been shown up. I think it's about time people stop trying to cause controversy, and just accept the situation for what it is. I sure hope Nimrod doesn't show himself to be more of a hypocrite than he already is...

I think it's time people will be entitled to say what they think. I'm not trying to cause controversy, on the contrary: I'm a huge fan of Harris, I read AOA several times and know by heart all his previous DVDs/videos. For the fourth time: The first 2 Discs are a step back from what I was used to get from Paul, in amount and quality. This is my honest opinion.
And don't mix mentalism stage pieces with close up magic effects. Apples and Oranges. But lets not get this thread slip to that discussion. Instead of reviewing the reviewer review the effects (as pepka did).

Nimrod , Israel
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I'm not trying to cause any controversy here Nimrod, but I'm curious. Have you tried any of those effects which you think are weak? Also, I'm curious who you perform for, friends and family or strangers? You will get a much different reaction from your wife who knows you just got a big wooden magic box than a regular layman.
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of nimrod
I didn't say you caused controversy. Actually I mentioned you as someone who did a positive thing when you reviewed the effect instead of reviewing me..
And I perform for living.

Nimrod

p.s. As for Twilight Angels, it is way too small for the venues I'm working (even when I'm doing close up). It's a cute little trick. Beside being too small it's flaws are that it's not impromptu and you have to say goodbye to the gimmick every time you perform (it's a must giveaway). 8/10 and I'm feeling generous here (and lets not forget this is not a new effect).
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
Watched Disc 2.

TWILIGHT ANGELS: Mediocre gimmicked card effect.

BACKLASH 2: a nice presentation for an effect which in itself is not so good or clean or impromptu.

NEW LEAF: none sense.

CHENG’S CHANGE: not my kind of magic.

THE BIG TINY: Paul Gertner’s “Unshuffled” is 10 times stronger. This is a step backward from the original.

Going for disc 3.

Nimrod , Israel

p.s. Wayne Houchin is the surprise of this disc. He knows how to deliver an effect. He is very accurate, clear, and has the ability to create the "magic moment".

I'm all for reviews but I'm curious as to how this review is supposed to help anyone make a decision on whether to buy the set.

Twilight Angels: most know this one already

Backlash 2: you say it's a nice presentation but not a good effect; Does it play well or not?

New Leaf: I guess you mean nonsense.

Cheng's Change: Again, saying 'not my kind of magic' isn't too helpful

The Big Tiny: Finally a semi-decent review

As for the number of effects on the disc, there are actually 7 if you include the cookies.

I'm curious as well as to whether you have performed any of these effects or if anyone has. I always like to hear how things play out in actual performance. I personally have only performed the Big Tiny once so far for a crowd of about 6 and it played really well.

PS- Just read your review on disc 5. Nice review.
K_B_G
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of K_B_G
Jeez like, some of you people are a bunch of whinny little school boys throwing your toys out cot. Thanks for the honest review and I will keep it in mind. As a working magician for real people I understand where you are coming from in terms of some of your judgments. Many of these effects seem to fall into the new "street magic" type category which constrain you to performing one effect due to certain conditions that require things outside of an actual performing dynamic. So many people get caught up in the whole hype that it blinds their judgement. I'm sure many of your that are "arguing" right now without even having the set in hand or will probably never go on to perform even a single effect. Your just arguing for the sake of it.

People need to stop worshipping people. Its hilarious, and that's anti Paul Harris philosophy. I love Paul, and yes he is a creative cgenius, but lets not all go and give him a blo**jo* now. I mean he is just a man. You people squabble over this nonsense and it makes our community into a joke filled with politicians. Get out from behind your computers, and everyone have a little more self respect and respect for others valid opinions instead of all having to get into one massive argument. Pathetic!
Connman1
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Connman1
^
hahahahahahahahahahhahahaha
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Elite user
i have nothing to say about my
450 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
Quote:
Watched Disc 2.

TWILIGHT ANGELS: Mediocre gimmicked card effect.

Nimrod , Israel

Yep, and water to wine was a mediocre liquid effect.

If moving a printed angel (an inherently immovable object) on the back of a playing card is something that you consider mediocre, I stand in total awe of the strength of your repertoire and can only hope that I live long enough to see you perform.

Kind regards,

Jack
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Nimrod has a ton of videos online...While I may not agree with his posts, he is certainly a VERY famous performer in his country.

Nathan
smith83
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of smith83
The new organic element to Twilight Angels was something I never considered. I will pull out my old effect again
swiss_magician
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
161 Posts

Profile of swiss_magician
Off topic digression:
Looking for Nimrod Harel's performances on youtube I soon found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ce6cBz-xs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uagj-BGDTXo
from a magician I do not know.
Funny to see these effects popularized by DB and DB (respectively David Blaine and Derren Brown ) on israelian TV.

Of course he has got some original material as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltuIyncP5JU

Still, I haven't managed to find Nimrod videos(I have trouble reading Hebrew)
. If anyone can help...

Cheers,

M.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-02-19 04:30, pepka wrote:
To us it may not be earth shattering, but to a layman, it's very powerful, and in my book, THAT'S who matters.

VERY well said. It's what it's all about!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
M,

There is a topic where Nimrod posted a link to his video page...

The page is all in Hebrew, but just like youtube...click and play.

I do not have the link...try searching.

Nathan
smith83
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of smith83
LOL. Israel must have some horrible magicians if Nimrod is the best they can do. Oh wait, they have Uri Geller, too. My bad.
burst
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis, TN
308 Posts

Profile of burst
I don't see the point in bashing people, or even an entire culture.

I really love Twilight Angels, Backlash 2, and the entire set in all honesty. There probably isn't one thing on here that I won't perform at some point. If someone else doesn't like certain effects, or even the entire set, fine with me. Different strokes for different folks, or so I've heard.

Also, it means one less person performing some of the material. I'm comfortable with that.
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Elite user
i have nothing to say about my
450 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
Quote:
On 2009-02-21 16:50, Nathan Pain wrote:
Nimrod has a ton of videos online...While I may not agree with his posts, he is certainly a VERY famous performer in his country.

Nathan

I cannot see why that matters.
The masked Magician is a very famous magician in this country. I do not agree with his views either.

Kind regards,

Jack
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1352 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Quote:
On 2009-02-22 14:18, swiss_magician wrote:
Off topic digression:
Looking for Nimrod Harel's performances on youtube I soon found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ce6cBz-xs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uagj-BGDTXo
from a magician I do not know.
Funny to see these effects popularized by DB and DB (respectively David Blaine and Derren Brown ) on israelian TV.

Of course he has got some original material as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltuIyncP5JU

Still, I haven't managed to find Nimrod videos(I have trouble reading Hebrew)
. If anyone can help...

Cheers,

M.

My best friend and mentor Chet Lowe used to do a version of that last pool table trick many years ago. He died at 77 many years ago. So much for new and original, lol.

ACE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » True Astonishments Disks 1 & 2: Full Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL