The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » True Astonishments Disks 1 & 2: Full Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver- Canada
960 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Bro is THE close up worker in Vancouver, and when he tips this is what he closes his show with, that's important information not to be read lightly...

Bro is a corporate worker!

best AG
Well then...
Algebra2
View Profile
Regular user
CA
156 Posts

Profile of Algebra2
More full reviews like this one please, thanks.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On 2009-02-15 18:23, PatrickGregoire wrote:
I don't like it due to its length and lack of entertainment value. It's a long and boring trick. I know it depends on the performer but even McBride's presentation wasn't enough to make me like it.

This is going to border on blasphemy to some of you. Tough luck being you. This is my opinion.

I thought McBride's presentation was a huge step back from the basic effect and was immensely lacking in entertainment value. He decided that a predictable finale beats an unpredictable finale and trys to rationalize it. His rationalization is weak and I think his effect suffers for it. His attempt to bring it all together is contrived and offers the third climax (and weakest of them all). You are supposed to grow your climaxes, not decrease them to the point of being simple puzzles.

The strength of The Shuffling Lesson, for anybody who actually performs it, isn't that you (the performer) ends up with four of a kind. That is expected. Anything less, in fact, and the audience would be disappointed for/in you.

The strength lies in the fact that a spectator does. A spectator who took a random number of cards, shuffled, cut, moved cards around, and dealt them out. This is the point of amazement. The performer showing his cards afterwards, even if they are a "higher" four of a kind, is a let-down. Then to finish it off as McBride did...

Man, I was literally on the edge of my seat when I saw Jeff McBride was going to perform one of my favorite effects of all time. I was disgusted with what I saw. Performances like this make me understand why people don't like this effect. It's not a stretch to say I hated every element McBride added to this effect. I really did.

And I really like and respect Jeff McBride. My only guess is that somebody like him has an issue with letting the spectator be the star of an effect, but who knows, certainly not me.

Terrible, terrible, terrible.

Lem
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
While it didn't enrage me as much as you, I also don't like the presentation. I am less of a fan, though, so for me the repetition of that line about the spectator controlling the game and all the high-fives were enough to turn me off.
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
I have not seen all the DVDs yet, so I still haven't found all the hidden easter eggs... but I don't understand what you are talking about in the posts about Jeff McBride and Shuffling Lessons. Is it an easter egg I still haven't seen, or are you talking about another video?
I have seen the Houchin video and explanation, and I liked it a lot. With the right presentation (like the one made by Wayne) the effect is absolutely wonderful.

Dave
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
It is an Easter egg. There are two "Shuffling Lesson" presentations and explanations on the set.
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
Thanks bugjack. I'll look for it Smile
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
I've started with disc 2 and was very disappointed with all the effects.
LVL$ was the biggest disappointment. It's a step back from the original routine (which is much cleaner, impormptu, and more impressive). I was expecting a third phase and instead I got a different, weaker, second phase.
The Growing Card is none sense. I demand a gimmick card effect to be much stronger and at least to have a plot of some kind.
SS got a nice presentation and is the only ray of light in this disc.
I hope the other discs will be better.
And there is no excuse for putting only 5 effects on one DVD, surely not this kind of effects. I miss the ETMCM days.

Nimrod , Israel

p.s. Paul Harris was my idol during my close up days. I really want the legend to live on. I'm going to see disc 1 now.
fridoliina89
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of fridoliina89
Quote:
On 2009-02-17 19:35, nimrod wrote:
I've started with disc 2 and was very disappointed with all the effects.
LVL$ was the biggest disappointment. It's a step back from the original routine (which is much cleaner, impormptu, and more impressive). I was expecting a third phase and instead I got a different, weaker, second phase.
The Growing Card is none sense. I demand a gimmick card effect to be much stronger and at least to have a plot of some kind.
SS got a nice presentation and is the only ray of light in this disc.
I hope the other discs will be better.
And there is no excuse for putting only 5 effects on one DVD, surely not this kind of effects. I miss the ETMCM days.

Nimrod , Israel

p.s. Paul Harris was my idol during my close up days. I really want the legend to live on. I'm going to see disc 1 now.

I don't think people should judge the effects so quickly without performing them, I have been trying out the effects and I have got AMAZING reactions from them and people really do like them.

I remember when I was a kid and only performed for friends and family and school etc and only had a few magic books and could only get new books for christmas or at my birthday, so since I had a limited audience so I had to learn new effects when I was going to performe for them and when I ran out of effects that I did like I had to try some effects that I did not really like and I often found that most effects that I did not like aswell as other magicians got the best reactions, so I think its hard for a magician to really tell if its a good effect without performing it.

Even now I often find myself performing a effect that I think is amazing and the respons is just a "Meh.. Cool I guess." and then I might try an effect that I don't think will get good reactions at all and people almost fall of their chairs of amazment when I'm done performing it.

And for the :

"And there is no excuse for putting only 5 effects on one DVD, surely not this kind of effects. I miss the ETMCM days."

Even if Paul wanted he could not put more effects on each dvd, if you put it in your computer it will show you that the dvd´s are almost full, there are some bonus effects and interviews on the dvds aswell, also HD video and music takes allot of space so the dvds are packed.
Jay Buchanan
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
512 Posts

Profile of Jay Buchanan
I think we should remember that the "spectator" that Jeff was performing for wasn't just any normal spectator, and this wasn't your normal performance setting either.
With that said, it wasn't my favorite effect on the DVD's by a long shot Smile Just saying, we should probably take it in context.

As far as LVL goes, I have been performing it for my audiences sine the 80's. I do it in almost every situation and setting that I perform in. I've done it in restaurants, clubs, banquets, cabaret, stage, living rooms, back yards, etc... it is one of my all time favorite cards across. This new version (LVL$) is killer for me and my audiences, it will replace my old version as often as I can swing it. There will be times where I still perform the old version, but if the opportunity arises then I will seize it and simply stun them with LVL$. This really does take LVL from a great card routine into the miracle status. I've done this now for several groups and none of them can reverse engineer this... try it and you will see. if they ever for a second go for the what they feel must be the logical reasoning for the finale, they immediately cancel it out with their own memory of something that happened during the routine (if you have done it correctly). They are left with zero explanation for what happened.
Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt. ~ Shakespeare
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Watched Disc 2.

TWILIGHT ANGELS: Mediocre gimmicked card effect.

BACKLASH 2: a nice presentation for an effect which in itself is not so good or clean or impromptu.

NEW LEAF: none sense.

CHENG’S CHANGE: not my kind of magic.

THE BIG TINY: Paul Gertner’s “Unshuffled” is 10 times stronger. This is a step backward from the original.

This doesn't look good. Again only 4 effects, and I don't agree with the lame excuse that there is not enough space on the disc. I can show you DVDs with 10 effects on them. This DVD should have at least 6-7 effects on it. Right now the first 2 discs are a rip off for that price. The truth must be said.
Going for disc 3.

Nimrod , Israel

p.s. Wayne Houchin is the surprise of this disc. He knows how to deliver an effect. He is very accurate, clear, and has the ability to create the "magic moment".
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Nimrod, I get the impression you aint gonna like the rest of the set if you do not like the 1st two, I give you an idea don't bother watching the other 7 it will give us magicians anoter person less performing some of this stuff, what sort of effects do you like??
Connman1
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Connman1
I prefer the original leaf over the New Leaf on TA, but to say it's nonsense (which is what you probably tried to write) is really not fair. Have you tried it? Go out and do it for one person and see if they aren't impressed. At the very least they will thank you for showing them a cool trick and brightening their day. Don't put a trick down just because you don't like the methods or whatever you disagree with. Personally I think its a fine little miracle.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I'm shocked that he/she felt that Twilight Angels was mediocre. It is such a killer.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Well, and I'm just guessing here, it's because he said he watched disk 2. That sounds like he just finished watching disk 2, meaning he didn't perform any of it. That means he could be wrong about the effectiveness of the effects contained on that volume. I think complaining that a 9 dvd set with lots of bonuses doesn't have enough effects on each dvd is boarish. You end up with 40-45 effects. Unless you're complaining about the environment and waste of dvds, I don't understand your issues. The reasons for such a limitation of material on each dvd has already been pointed out and it's a fact that the dvds are pretty much full with what they have on them (like someone mentioned, check them on your computer). You mention you have dvds with at least 10 effects on them. Is the video quality comparable to TA? Do they contain easter eggs? Are there any additional notes to each effect that add an extra 2-5 minutes for each effect? Think of the big picture, you've received many effects. It doesn't matter how many effects are on each dvd. You got them all. It's quantity and quality.
Jason Messina
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of Jason Messina
Quote:
On 2009-02-18 12:02, nimrod wrote:
Watched Disc 2.

This doesn't look good. Again only 4 effects, and I don't agree with the lame excuse that there is not enough space on the disc. I can show you DVDs with 10 effects on them. This DVD should have at least 6-7 effects on it. Right now the first 2 discs are a rip off for that price. The truth must be said.
Going for disc 3.

Well if you save your money, for $55 you can buy 4 tricks here:
http://www.magicproshop.com/shalosh-stag......001.html

Which, at 62 pages, I'm sure is a much better value.....
fridoliina89
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of fridoliina89
Quote:
On 2009-02-18 12:02, nimrod wrote:

TWILIGHT ANGELS: Mediocre gimmicked card effect.

What is so mediocre about it? I cant understand how anyone can think its mediocre.

I think its a beautifull effect and it gets great reactions as you can see on the dvd and people does like it.
Just because a magician is not impressed by it for whatever reason it might be, not a new cool method etc, does not mean that its a mediocre effect.

The beautifull thing with this effect is that it is so simple and all you have to do is to present it.
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
I've never been wrong about the effectiveness of an effect I'm seeing. I don't need to go and try something just to see if it's for me. If I would do it with every DVD I watch I would do crappy magic 95% of my time.
I stand by my review: the first 2 DVDs are disappointing. I can't help but compare them to each of Harris past videos and frankly I miss the good old days in terms of value for your money.

Nimrod , Israel
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Ok, good for you nimrod. You can go sell your set, burn it, use them as coasters, use them for arts and craft, whatever. I don't have a issue with negative reviews but apparently they are getting sillier and sillier.
fridoliina89
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of fridoliina89
Quote:
On 2009-02-18 18:41, nimrod wrote:
I've never been wrong about the effectiveness of an effect I'm seeing. I don't need to go and try something just to see if it's for me. If I would do it with every DVD I watch I would do crappy magic 95% of my time.
I stand by my review: the first 2 DVDs are disappointing. I can't help but compare them to each of Harris past videos and frankly I miss the good old days in terms of value for your money.

Nimrod , Israel

Since you are saying that it is a mediocre effect and you are never wrong about how effective an effect is by watching it you must be right.

I heard about a guy called Paul Harris or something, this is actually one of his favourite effects and he thinks it amazing, can you belive that? I feel bad for him everytime I go to bed.

I also heard about some guy called David Blaine, he hires paul to work on his show on which airs on national Tv, probably as a personal trainer because hes so incredibly strong and Baline wants to reach the same fitnes level as Paul, not because hes one of the most creative and talanted magicians of our time who really understands magic, because if that was what people were hireing him for it would be mediocre magic all over the place.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » True Astonishments Disks 1 & 2: Full Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL