The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » "Master Magicians " Cheers to Joan Ceasar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Cheers to I.B.M. President Joan Ceasar for her brief yet insightful column on the President's Page in the Feb. 09 Linking Ring.

I agree that this term is tossed around rather loosely on promotional materials, web sites and the like.

The term "Master Magician" and any of it's possible equivalents should be a designation bestowed upon the individual by a group of his peers and not arbitrarily thrown on a website or a business card.

Furthermore I think most of those who really are "master magicians" would probably often reject the term out of modesty, humility and good taste.

Lastly, using hackneyed terms like "Master Magician" on one's promotional materials only reveals a lack of creativity insecurity and integrity on the part of the performer.

Thanks Joan for bringing this to light-

Mark M Walsh
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Remembering something my Okinawan sensi in martial arts said to me once, "Master is something other people call you, never something you call yourself."
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
536 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
I totally agree!

Max, the Mediocre Magician!
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
647 Posts

Profile of revmike
I agree, but also wish to hold up Joan's other point. While most of us will never climb the pinnacle and be a "master magician" there is still much good and enjoyment we can provide through the art of magic.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of trey
I think it is used a lot when people advertise. Not saying it is right. But when I was young it was on my business card. Now that I am older. I know that I will not ever master the art of magic. Maybe one move or something. But to be a master of an art. Takes tons of factors. Some people have no clue the meaning of the word. Just my 2 cents...

Trey
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » "Master Magicians " Cheers to Joan Ceasar (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL