The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » How to glue a torn bill together? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dancecoach
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of dancecoach
Hi.

I'm looking for the best way to glue a torn out piece of a dollar bill back again so that it looks as if the bill is intact.

I'd like to tear that piece out in front of the audience - but the tear line should be invisible before doing that.

Any tips for accomplishing that are appreciated!

Thanks,
Andy
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1524 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Rubber cement
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
883 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Not sure what you are using this for, so it is hard to answer, I don't think you will find a simple solution to just tearing a piece out and glueing it back on, that would look good.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Jonathan Smith
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Smith
Why don't you just switch a real torn corner for a duplicate?
dancecoach
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of dancecoach
I'd like to borrow a bill, switch it, tear a corner out (which is from another bill glued on) and burn the rest.

The torn out piece will be eyes on and then handed to the audience. I have no idea how I could switch it then. Way easier at the beginning: "Someone have a dollar bill? Thanks! "(put it in pocket for a sec, switch) "Okay okay, ..."
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
883 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
There are several methods out there for tearing a corner of a bill/card and switching it out, there is no need to stick it in your pocket. Additionally, you may want to reconsider actually burning money for real.

Michael Ammar recently lectured in Tucson, and he told a story of were he did a bill effect, where he actually burned a dollar. The burning was so convincing, because it really happened, that they guy new it was burned, he didn't know how the bill ended up where it ended up, but he knew the bill was different and the bill was burned.

The idea you have for burrowing a bill, destroying it and having it reapear is nothing new. You are concerning yourself with a perfect switching of with a bill that has a glued corner, etc. and this is way more work than is needed. If you can switch a whole bill, why not just have a torn corner f*****r p****d, and when you tear off the corner give them the switched corner. I think it would be much easier to switch a corner then the whole bill. Why go through such pains of an entire bill switch just to hand them a corner?
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
dancecoach
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of dancecoach
I think it's easier to switch the bill beforehand, and then do a VERY clean tear and handing over of the corner.

I have no good idea of how to cleanly switch the corner by f****r p****g. I'd like the tear to look as clean as on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbt9MUB1kLQ at 1:20.

Thanks.
hpcman
View Profile
New user
NYC
91 Posts

Profile of hpcman
Dude, get real that was TV as with most TV spots it was stooged and even if it wasn't, which it was, you could just use duplicate consecutive bills after a switch.
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
477 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
Andy,

This will accomplish what you want.

First, Tear the corner off of a bill. Then tear a bigger corner off a second bill. (Make this tear as similar as you can, just tear a bigger piece) Either using double stick tape or a spray adhesive, apply the adhesive just along the ripped part on the back of the main bill... (from the edge of the tear to about a quarter of an inch in) Now you have enough overlap with adhesive on it to adhere the torn corner to.

You can match these up so it looks perfect and can easily be used in a close up setting.

The illusion is perfect when you tear the corner off of the bill. When you do, tear it slowly and fairly. You even get the correct sound.

In fact, this may even be the same method used on the clip... believe me, this looks that clean.

Have fun,
Glenn
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
dancecoach
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of dancecoach
Glenn,

thanks. What you described is my setup, I am using rubber cement now. It works well. But this thread developed to be about the switch.

Now I prepare a bill with a corner (that matches a bill hidden somewhere in the audience) and then borrow a bill and switch it at the beginning.

Anything easier is appreciated.

Jonathan, Dinger, with your suggestions, if you tear the borrowed bill, how would you do a clean handing out (=switch beforehand) of the corner? If you switch the whole bill at the beginning of the routine it's the cleanest handing out possible.

hpcman, the guy where the bill appeared was a stooge, but not the lender of the bill.

Thanks,
Andy
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
477 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
Andy,

I realize the thread ventured off course from your original question... that tends to happen quite often. Personally, I like to keep my initial reply geared toward the original concern/question of the post.

By the way, do you use rubber cement on both pieces of the bill? If you do, is there any residue left on the torn corner? If not, that's great. I also wonder how well a removable glue stick would work in this application. I know the double stick tape and spray adhesive both leave the corner squeaky clean.

Glenn
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
DamastaMind
View Profile
New user
Bavaro Beach, Dominican Republic
60 Posts

Profile of DamastaMind
Dancecoach:

I think that your idea of tearing the corner -that is not from the bill about to be burnt- is a good one though I would not glue the corner to another bill or change the borrowed bill at all!

Here is the method I use when using bill to impossible location with turn corner:

(I decided to PM you instead so I don´t disclose magic methods like this) PM me back with comments if you`ll like to.
The MIND is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure.
Who can understand it?

Jeremiah 17:9
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » How to glue a torn bill together? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL