The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Japanese Fortune Telling Sticks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
As an antique/antiquity collector,I recently purchased A Japanese Fortune Telling Canister.[Late 1800's-1910]

http://tinyurl.com/ask6nl

It is a wood canister that a guest shakes,and any one of 12 sticks..shake partially out..and the lucky stick is adorned with an indication one of the values 1-12.The protruding stick is stopped from shaking totally out.
I thought this was very cool,and had many possible applications:Fortune telling;Numerology;Astrology;etc.

Due to the size of the wood cannister it isn't practicle for tableside or strolling....so I made a smaller version:

http://tinyurl.com/cwmbdz

This prototype is leather covered,and has similar calligraphy to the Antique item.Like the antique it can be shaken and one stick will shake out,but it does not fall out.{I believe this version is preferable to the more popular Chinese Fortune Telling Sticks}

Please let me know if there is any interest in something like this.Also,any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

I have made up a tiny antique book with pleasant fortunes associated to the numbers indicated on the sticks.
I will be giving it a test run at my Sunday restaurant.[I have a feeling this may be of interest to the sometimes tough 'Teenage Crowd' as well as Birthday guests etc.]

Happy trails.
Rich
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4934 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Hey Rich,
Very cool! In Taiwan a lot of Japanese items a re available. and you can buy little cell phone charms that have the shaker and sticks. Yours is very nice,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Thank-you for your response and compliment James!

I am really excited about having some fun with my pocket sized version.Fortune Telling Sticks are apparently very popular in the Temple's of China[especially at New Years].I was initially attracted to the Chinese version,but then I stumbled upon this rare Japanese Antique version where all the sticks are enclosed and one stick emerges from a hole...I thought ..hey,this may have some [controllable] entertainment potential...thus my pocket version.

My best.
Rich
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Japanese Fortune Telling Sticks (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL