The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Best Haunted Key Effect? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
asanghi
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, Russia
305 Posts

Profile of asanghi
Dear all:

I am looking to add a Haunted Key effect to my repertoire. Was wondering what advice you have for a good effect (both the prop / routine)?

Thanks,
Apurva
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3841 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Myrsolon
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Myrsolon
Me thinks Curator is a little obsessed. Though it is a great idea. How is your own collection of ghost room items comming along Christian?
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
You need to create a story and history about the key so your audience can buy into it. You need to give them a believable rationale to why the energy works and will later turn the key. Your best bet is to find your own key that is an antique.
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Ted Leslie just sent me a magical story of the Titanic using the haunted key. Simple, short and sweet if I do say so, I loved it. He offered on another thread to send it to people if they pm'ed him. Take him up on this offer.
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3841 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Ghost stories are the essence of bizarre magic, that's why I'm obsessed with them.
If you can tell a good ghost story, according to the rules of the genre (read M R James), you're on the way to perform real practical bizarre magic.
Usually,the tricks are the last thing I'm looking for, as the tricks are never the effects.
So, start reading ghost stories and look at the best ghost movies, before looking for the next trick to do with a haunted key.
Sometimes you won't even need any trick.

If your next question is: "I need to use a plastic skull in my next performance", please disregard my advice.
ghostgaff
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
106 Posts

Profile of ghostgaff
I do a little presentation that the key goes to the "spirit room" of the Winchester Estate, where Mrs. Winchester conducted seances to try to contact the ghosts she thought haunted the mansion. I say that I "borrowed" it during my last visit.
The story is really a brief description of the Winchester Estate's past. I chose the Winchester Estate as it is a famous Haunted house with a very interesting history.
The only things I am not fully honest with is the key, and I am not 100% certain any of the entrances or exits to the spirit room have a lock. Smile
"The prince of darkness is a gentleman"-
"All the world's a stage, and the people merley actors."-
Shakespeare
Magnalucius
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
210 Posts

Profile of Magnalucius
You will find excellent scripts for haunted key in:

"The Bigger Book of Boo", by T. Everet Bookings III,
"Theatrical Magic", by Big Daddy Cool (the best I know, writen by Eugene Poinc),
"Tricks for the Imagination", by Robert Neale.

At Hocus Pocus there is a beauty golden Haunted Key, wich comes with a second one, twisted, as if it had been attacked by fire. Simon´s Magicurios is another good option (The key is really old and comes in a beauty box).

Cheers!
Lux In Tenebris
Magnalucius
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
210 Posts

Profile of Magnalucius
And, by the way, there is the book by Eugene Burger, Spirit Theater... Any bizarrist should read it.
Lux In Tenebris
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
699 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
Quote:
On 2009-02-15 13:38, Silvertongue wrote:
Ted Leslie just sent me a magical story of the Titanic using the haunted key. Simple, short and sweet if I do say so, I loved it. He offered on another thread to send it to people if they pm'ed him. Take him up on this offer.

Actually it wasn't Ted Leslie - I am the guilty party! You will find the post on the 'Penny For Your Thoughts' thread. Scroll down to the 'White Star' reference.

Leslie
Stories....?....That's telling!
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Quote:
On 2009-02-15 19:02, Leslie Melville wrote:
Quote:

Actually it wasn't - I am the guilty party! You will find the post on the 'Penny For Your Thoughts' thread. Scroll down to the 'White Star' reference.

Leslie

A generous share indeed, hats-off to Mr.Melville! And thank-you again.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2316 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I have a haunted key routine which will be in BRuce ballon's Jack the ripper book.

Kotah
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Quote:
On 2009-02-15 19:02, Leslie Melville wrote:
Quote:

Actually it wasn't Ted Leslie - I am the guilty party! You will find the post on the 'Penny For Your Thoughts' thread. Scroll down to the 'White Star' reference.

Leslie

I'm so sorry. Twas a brainfart!!!
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
lejon
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of lejon
Quote:
On 2009-02-15 13:51, The Curator wrote:
If your next question is: "I need to use a plastic skull in my next performance", please disregard my advice.

I found a very cool effect called " the skull of cagiostro"

http://www.vikingmagic.com/?key=838&html=full

:) Smile Smile Smile Smile
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3841 Posts

Profile of The Curator
You bought 2 of them ?
lejon
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of lejon
Couldn't help it... the effect is sooooooo

cooooollllll
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3841 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Have you ever considering buying a card duck ?
I know someone who loooooooooooooves selling them. Smile Smile Smile
ovationkc
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of ovationkc
Peter Marucci had a story about Borely Rectory for a Haunted Key effect. It was published in Visions an Online magazine
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2316 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Peters routine is very nice, so glad you mentioned it.
Online visions is a treasure trove of original material

Kotah
MarkRobertson
View Profile
New user
Lincoln, NE
51 Posts

Profile of MarkRobertson
I once purchased my key at a gift shop of the hotel, in the real ghost town of Silver City Idaho. Cost two dollars. I did the effect before laying down the money. I think the person behind the counter was happy to get rid of it. There were plenty more if you ever make the trip up the mountains.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Best Haunted Key Effect? (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL