The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Best Haunted Key Effect? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
lejon
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of lejon
Quote:
On 2009-02-16 10:15, The Curator wrote:
Have you ever considering buying a card duck ?
I know someone who loooooooooooooves selling them. Smile Smile Smile

I'd love to.

its the story of a duck but not any duck... it was haunted.....

:) Smile Smile
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Quote:
On 2009-02-16 13:00, ovationkc wrote:
Peter Marucci had a story about Borely Rectory for a Haunted Key effect. It was published in Visions an Online magazine

Whatever happened to him? When I started posting here he was one of the most regular visitors, and an awesome guy. Then all of a sudden he just vanished.

Cheers,

Chris
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I have a large Viking key from about fifteen years ago, I believe it is called Psy-Key. It does the normal 'rolling over' in your hand with the shocking touch of the teeth on barrel end up rotated 90 degrees, the best part is it can be examined. The internal locking mechanism is very strong and comes with a special tool to unlock, no mere mortal can do so with his bare hands.

You may be able to find one on a used list or Ebay.

Chuck
John J Walton
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of John J Walton
I have the Haunted Key from Magic Makers where they give you the 4 routines to do. I added a fifth by executing the trick in a kids hand. They were really freaked out when the key moved in their hand.
I also made up a great (In my mind at least) story line about an old house and woman and her being found dead at the door. The story probably takes much longer to tell than it does to perform the trick but I love stories like this one. I'm always doing something to scare the Grandkids.
If you want a copy of it let me know.
John
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
My old story was this (from memory so sorry for any gaps)...

"for nearly 3 months now, I've been suffering from a re-occurance in my dreams...i keep finding myself walking down this old, dark corridor, a faint luminious light following me...as I'm walking...i hear breathing...and a faint whisper of my name...

it follows me as I walk...

I continue, down this long, and ever narrowing path...

it follows me...as I walk...

I make haste, moving forwards to where - I do not know..i am simply compelled to move on in case this ghostly voice decides to appear...

the breathing speeds up, not just mine, but this "thing" that seems intent on following me - I can almost feel it across the nape of my neck, whispering my name, over and over again...

the corridor narrows even more, I can barely move through it, my shoulders scraping each side as I walk ever faster....my name echoing behind me like a mantra...

my neck...my neck feels hot now...the breath upon my back feels closer, I dare not look back for the fear that follows may well consume me if I did...so ever onwards..

and it follows me...as I walk...

I am soon forced to edge through the ever narrowing corridor, compelled by fear, and in some small part - curious even, to where my fate will lead me...and so it continues, the breath at my nape, the whispering of my name...and suddenly!

Suddenly, I am faced with...a door...

and in the distance, I hear heavy, harsh footsteps and my name a whirlwhind dashing towards me...

I test the mettle of the door - I push, I pull, I kick I shove...I SCREAM! LET ME IN! FOR MERCY'S SAKE! FOR PITY'S SAKE! LET...ME....IN!

I fall to my knees as the footsteps grow nearer...i see the lock of the door, emptiness through it as I peek...i close my eyes, ready for my fate...i feel my mind escape me as I will the door to open....

"Oh *** you...open...please...TURN AND OPEN!"

the footsteps stop. And In that moment, the WORLD seems to stop in that terrible, utter silence.

I become aware of that I am holding my breath, I exhale..."turn and open I beg of you..." my last words I fear I have spoken...then!

a soft gust of air strokes my face, the door in front of me opens, and I crawl through...and I fade into darkness..not knowing my fate...

*silence from the audience at this point hopefully!^

I produce the key, in silence still, eithe from a box or from a chain around my neck...

"Now, the very strangest of things is - I woke up after this dream, each night for three months...only 4 nights I awoke again from this dream, but this time...as I sat up..i felt this *hold up the key* in my hand...

I could not help but laugh, as the irony struck me - for months I dream of a door with no key, and yet somehow wake up with a key with no door!

I have no real memory of how I came to wake up with this key, but - I do know that the dreams have now stopped...and I feel...refreshed...

if you all feel so inclined, would you join in a circle around me? and link hands...

Now, let us see if we can open this imaginary door - maybe for someone else suffering from similar nightmares as i...."

Please, all slowly chant the word "open" for me, and will this key to listen to your demands......

slowly, but surely...the key turns in your hand, unlocking a door somewhere in someone's mind...

ah well, that's 5 minutes of your life you're not getting back...dunno why I remember the "story", it was when I dabbled in the bizarre around 6 years ago...
I've asked to be banned
rickreation
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of rickreation
Check out the Busch Fator, I've heard great things about the effect in that one.
John J Walton
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of John J Walton
Asanghi

I created a pretty good "Witch" story aroung the Haunted Key From Magic Makers. Let me know if you want an electronic copy of it.
I also thought of, and tried on my Grandkids, the idea that I could manipulate the Haunted Key in someone elses hand. It really looked strange and popped the eyes out of the kids. Don't think how I did it would work on most adults but let me know if you are going to be doing it on kids and I'll explain further.

John
John J Walton
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of John J Walton
IAIN

Loved the story. Thanks!

John
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
916 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
Iain..i have saved the story on my computer.
Its too good to let go.
My addition would be:
I would also like to add that the door had a brass plate with a number and guess what the number was?
Produce a brass plate with the number(medallion Al koran..modified).
Sleep tight.
Mindshrink
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Have to say I've never known the Haunted Key to fool anyone, regardless of the quality of presentation.
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Quote:
On 2009-04-06 21:17, marknem7 wrote:
Have to say I've never known the Haunted Key to fool anyone, regardless of the quality of presentation.

I've never had it fail to fool anyone, lately Smile. I believe it IS in the presentation and the suspension of disbelief. Also, if you use the mass produced "haunted key" that is shiny it doesn't really fit with an "old" idea in presentation. For such an easy trick it takes lots of practice to make it look genuine if that's what you are going for. I have a nice one from Simon at magicurios and I think it is more believable at the outset of the presentation because of the appearence.
I found that by holding my hand the right way it appears that the key is very slowly rolling UP.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Marknem7, presentation is what sells what would otherwise be a transparent "trick." Doing it as a trick won't cut it.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2009-04-06 21:17, marknem7 wrote:

Well, I won't say that...
Plus, there's a difference between fooling and entertaining or amaze.
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
For several years, I taught Comedy Traffic School and I would perform the Haunted Key. I milked a 15-minute presentation about a junk yard with a wrecked 1930 car in it.(The key fit the old-fashioned tire holder on the back of the car). An entire family died in a car wreck. The owners of the junk yard and even his dog avoided the car. My key was an old brass key from the 30s and looked great. I was also sure to include a reason why the key might turn. How we are the one's sensative to the psychic energy.
I did Traffic school on Saturday and Sundays to about 20-40 per class. At least once a month 1-2 people would come up to me after the class and say something like this, "I know the signed ticket in the balloon was fake but was the key real?"
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
I saw an excellent, well-acted, history story presentation involving the key in San Francisco over the weekend, and for the lay audience I was with the slow roll-over at the end was anti-climactic at best. And everyone easily figured out the method.

Again, it was as well presented, using a great old key and great story-telling, as I've ever seen. But it failed to fool.

Maybe in a dark bar....
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Again, if you do it as a trick, no matter what kind of story you concoct, unless you convince them, you won't fool them. In fact, just the idea of "fooling them" is what you have to get away from. Fool yourself, then you can fool someone else. Don't just do magic; do magick. Believe in what you are doing. There are many subtle clues that tell others you are NOT doing magick, so do magick.

I didn't mean this to sound so arrogant as it seems, and I meant it specifically to apply to the key, although I believe it has wider application. The atmosphere you establish beforehand and the story you tell should bring your spectators to a point where they will accept the phenomenon as real.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
No, Bill, not at all arrogant sounding. What it is is thought-provoking and interesting...and helpful. Thanks.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Dale Hildebrandt sold a a manuscript on this that I heard was excellent. Sadly I missed the limited publication. This will never "fool" a magician of course, but neither does a double back flip palmed biddle triple lift. But in the hands of a storyteller, this really is magic. Of course if you've been doing "tricks" all night, it's hard for an audience to make the leap. If you've been making them cross themselves, it will not.

I believe it was Charles Cameron that said, if you are going to be a magician, then BE a magician.

I am seeing a trend in actually some powerful effects being released but magicians taking these and presenting them as a palette cleanser in-between card tricks. And then they wonder why the audience seems jaded and unbelieving. There is a huge difference between presenting a magic trick show and a demonstration of miracles.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Dale A. Hildebrandt
View Profile
Special user
637 Posts

Profile of Dale A. Hildebrandt
Quote:
On 2009-04-08 02:47, Clifford the Red wrote:
Dale Hildebrandt sold a a manuscript on this that I heard was excellent. Sadly I missed the limited publication. This will never "fool" a magician of course, but neither does a double back flip palmed biddle triple lift. But in the hands of a storyteller, this really is magic. Of course if you've been doing "tricks" all night, it's hard for an audience to make the leap. If you've been making them cross themselves, it will not.

I believe it was Charles Cameron that said, if you are going to be a magician, then BE a magician.

I am seeing a trend in actually some powerful effects being released but magicians taking these and presenting them as a palette cleanser in-between card tricks. And then they wonder why the audience seems jaded and unbelieving. There is a huge difference between presenting a magic trick show and a demonstration of miracles.

Hello Clifford,

From the websites about my "Heavily Haunted" manuscript, please note the following:

Note: This ebook will be limited to 20 copies sold. After May 1, 2010 this work may be reprinted.

I am going to reprint "Heavily Haunted" but it will be in a larger collection with much more stuff. This is a book that you will soon be reading about but will not soon be reading. The book is going to be huge, as in larger, as in doorstop large or larger. I will start listing some of the potential contents of this hardcover tome on my Main Website, and possbily on the blog, in the upcoming days. But, the hardcover book will not be ready until sometime after June 2011....sorry.

HOWEVER, If there is enough interest I will print up a run of "Heavily Haunted" after May 1, 2010. Just let me know if you are interested either here or by email. I will then gauge the interest and desire and will decide what to do.

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt

PS Totally agree about magic tricks versus miracles.
Dale A. Hildebrandt
View Profile
Special user
637 Posts

Profile of Dale A. Hildebrandt
Hello Everyone,

"Heavily Haunted: Second Edition" is now available as a PDF Format Ebook. All previous owners should have received the updated version in their email a few days ago. In the near future "Heavily Haunted: Second Edition" will also be available as a physical booklet. You can find the ebook version at:

http://www.mirrorname.com/heavilyhauntedtwo.htm

Sincerely,
Dale A. Hildebrandt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Best Haunted Key Effect? (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL