The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tips for tomorow- busking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
Hi all -

I have an audition to become a licenced street performer tomorow.
they check me as part of quality control etc

Ive only busked in the UK once and a few times in canada - always with mates- not solo-

I plan to do my gazzo style cups routeen plus 3-4 basic tricks (bill switch/invis deck/jumbo princess card trick)

and am just looking for some last moment tips and maybe even just some encouragement.

I am in my 4th year of university and want to busk to improve and make a bit of cash but I see my self being a "weekend warrior" a lot of the time - rather than full time street performer

Im happy with my skills level and the tricks - but I am used to performing at tables and walk arounds so I'm worried I wont be "big" enough to stop 150 people.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Get out from behind your table (if you have one)
focus on just a few tricks over and over.
watch your audience. when do the look away. when do they walk away. take notes.
be honest with yourself. if they walk, that part sucks. fix it, remove it, tell a joke, do something different.

a single person may approach. fine. but don't try to stop just one person. stop a group of 2 or more.

then find an excuse why you need to address an additional person that is walking by.

Most importantly, don't let it be the last time. Get out there again as soon as possible.

p.s. You're taking a step that few do. Regardless of what happens you're doing more than most would risk doing.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
my mindless rambling's now total
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
Where are you auditioning for? I know a few places need licences I was just about to apply for one in york and my routine is alsoo based around the cups and balls. It would be funny if two of us were doing a similar routine in the same town especially as I've not seen anyone doing it there to date.

Cant offer you any audition or performance tips myself as I've yet to go through the process but good luck and congratulations at making the leap from talker to do'er I'll be joining you soon.

Andy
I was put on this earth to do a great many things..... I'm now so far behind that I don't think I'm ever going to die!
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
This is for birmingham at present - there are many cups performers in london but ive never seen ANY street performance in birmingham except pan pipe bands and accostic guitars.

Looking forward too it.

andy - let me know how your venture into the street performance goes -

Sometimes if I watch clips of the pros - I see how much there is to learn and try - but I just need to start - the deep breath before the dive.
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
I'm uner no illusion of how much there is to learn, I'm off to cardiff in june for some expert advice. In the mean time I agree Its all about getting in at the deep end and learning to swim!
good luck tomorrow
I was put on this earth to do a great many things..... I'm now so far behind that I don't think I'm ever going to die!
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
I'm very tempted by the cardiff session but I need to see my finals timetable - and by then - I'm sure it will be booked....
jbolt
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of jbolt
I have never done this. It sounds exciting.
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
I am excited - I do a lot of acting and public speaking etc so I'm not nervious about the people watching as much as my lack of experence and ability to react to the unexpected -

thank you Frank for your words-

I am only 25 min drive from shakespears homeplace stratford - id love to do a old fashioned cups show in the summer for the tourists are the town in full elisabethian garb and tounge - but I should learn to walk first - !
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
It all went well - I did a 10 min show for the audition and made £12 plus got approved - the guy seemed to like it a lot ,

I was a bit nervious and don't think I got my cup sleights perfoect but I won them over by the time I got too the melon!

Ill try again in a few days and hopefull ill be half decent by summer.
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Congradulations
Andy_Bell
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of Andy_Bell
Cool, glad it went well for you. The Stratford thing sounds like a good idea you should pursue that one, all those tourists sound like the sort of cash heavy folks you want to be watching your show. I've just sent in for the paperwork for my york licence, If I don't get a chance to get out there before I'm definately going to be out on the streets with my cups and balls for charity on red nose day. Its just the excuse and spur that I need to impose myself on the public.

you must be stoked after today, and 12 quid in 10 minutes is prety good earnings!
keep up the good work.

see you on the streets
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
Cheers mate,
there were other people waiting to audition on the same plot so I couldn't go again - but I wondered what I could earn in 4 hrs lol - its not all about the money but I do need some....... if only (for now) to cover the cost of my props etc -
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Hi aitchy, Congratulations on passing the audition! On with the show! Colin, half way around the world away.
The presentation makes the magic.
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
Thanks - going again on saturday

I'm in the process of makeing my own jumbo princess card trick - I can believe how much the real thing costs......
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tips for tomorow- busking (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL