The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dancer Needs Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joshambol
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of joshambol
I currently am in a dance crew and we are trying to incorporate dance with magic and we saw this group on americas best dance crew and they used a very nice floating ball technique now ive seen a few things that could be used but seem to be hard to mix with dancing ive looked at zombie super duper balloon and mr bracos but I would really like to know what it is that they use... my dance crew has a convention coming up and theres a dance/magic competition so we would really like to win if you could email me about what I could do I promise to keep everything private and on a buisness level

heres the video of the dance crew that did the floating ball technique we would really like to use the same thing if anyone knows where I could find it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_q9e0xhmGI
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3641 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
It looks like a Don Wayne floating ball (with maybe a few camera tricks thrown in). Was this actually live?

The Don Wayne ball is available from Abbotts.

Jim
DavidLynn
View Profile
New user
Rural Victoria, Aus-(Oz)-tralia
43 Posts

Profile of DavidLynn
Mate do a little research on levitations. Particularly the oldtime show types like levitating off the side of standing broom or hat stand. Even off a "standard" Chair. consider the manner that a hoop is passed over a levitating body. I love the idea of incorporating magic into dance choreography. This could be a revitalization of the old theatre genre tricks. Having a group of "magicians" dancing. Hey that is way cool. I think you will have great success with that idea. Can I suggest NOT to do the floating ball but come up with another idea. Always be original. Try levitating your lead dancer and choreograph your dancers "around" him/her as if they were the "hoops". Hey I really think you have something here mixing good dance and magic.. Best of luck.
joshambol
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of joshambol
Quote:
On 2009-02-20 17:56, DavidLynn wrote:
Mate do a little research on levitations. Particularly the oldtime show types like levitating off the side of standing broom or hat stand. Even off a "standard" Chair. consider the manner that a hoop is passed over a levitating body. I love the idea of incorporating magic into dance choreography. This could be a revitalization of the old theatre genre tricks. Having a group of "magicians" dancing. Hey that is way cool. I think you will have great success with that idea. Can I suggest NOT to do the floating ball but come up with another idea. Always be original. Try levitating your lead dancer and choreograph your dancers "around" him/her as if they were the "hoops". Hey I really think you have something here mixing good dance and magic.. Best of luck.
i wanna do the broom suspension we came up with something really cool to do with that but everywhere I'm looking its expensive like in the 2000 dollar range and we don't have that kind of budget do you know anyone that has the plans for the illusion and how difficult is it to perform
DavidLynn
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of DavidLynn
It will be 2000 dollars well spent I might add. If your dance is as kick A as I think you may well be then invest in yourself. I'm still new to this forum so still finding my way around. Have a look in the dining room- special interests,the workshop and search in their for prop builders. Also have a look for Andrew Maynes work on google/yahoo and magic booksellers. He might even be on this forum. I've got a couple of his books on illusion creation. I know the broom stick illusion requires a bit of engineering skill but you can probably buy the parts you cant make yourself. Money is obviously an issue for your group so invest in some illusion prop plans (books) and come up with some "simple" but very snappy illusions to fit your dance style. Collapsing or folding up boxes with 4 or five dancers in them could have effect. What about 7 sword dancers thrusting simultaneously into the box holding you. Coreographed to a tee would look fantastic. Penn and Teller did a marvelous show on youtube called "Blastoff" I think it is still kicking around. It has decapitations and all sorts of things happening. Take the idea that they expose and develop a routine from this with all your dancers being the magician and then also as the assistant. Only there will be 4 magicians doing the trick and 4 assistants 'helping' and wow the two (8) could end up all mixed up in a finale of bits of each in separate boxes and one dancer left alone and then they all come marching back from nowhere from a 'portal box' Keep the creative juice happening. Read some books on illusion construction and browse the workshop forum here on the Café. Not everything has to be $1000

Best of luck
Dave
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I have no experience with this illusion, but a quick search turned up the following at Hank Lee's.

Broom Suspension - Paul Osborne's Illusion System Plans
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=19

Price: $25.00

Quote:
"...without a doubt the best illusion plans available today. The plans are conceived with the builder, collector and performer in mind. All are fully documented -- the Working, Construction and Performing of each illusion.

The plans are real blueprints, drawn on giant 15" x 20" paper. Included with each plan is a comprehensive run down on the building, history and performance of your selected prop."
DavidLynn
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of DavidLynn
Hey nice pickup Daniel. Paul Osbourne's stuff is very good also. I'd never seen this plans site you have linked. Looks good and will be investigated further. Josh check this one out. Remember a plan is a plan and the costings can sometimes be expensive if when building these sort of props, you don't take the time to fully understand the plan first. Quite often there are intricacys that need careful examination and thinking through before you put saw to wood or welder to metal.....

Best of luck in your endeavour and post when you get a video of your performance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dancer Needs Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL