The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » True Astonishments Discs 3 & 4 In Depth Review (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I haven't tried Lubor's Lens out on anyone yet (I will soon), but I did have the same initial thought that you had about the black marks. Someone on the video does as well (the person who says you can still smell the smoke). I actually like Patrick's idea, above, about removing the center of the pen.

My initial take on this is that people will be entertained by the optical illusion and then the twisted pen is almost like a humorous kicker as opposed to something that "happened." If you're trying to pawn it off as someone that the pen actually changed, then I'll agree that the black mark is a problem. An alternative would be to paint the pen after twisting it, I guess.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2120 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I was surprised that the video recommended doing this on a blue pen. All I had handy for making my pens for Lubor's Lens were black Papermates, and they work great. No weird black smoke issues.

I've made a couple of them (it takes about 10 seconds) and the twist in them looks wonderful. I've never had anybody not see/understand the twist upon unveiling it, and I've been performing this left and right for people.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1632 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
I haven't worked out a practical way to do this yet, but I had an idea for Lubor's Lens.

The concept is that you display one object that you will place on their hand, but you are actually holding out another object in the same hand. When you place the object(s) on their hand, you do it under cover of the lens. You place them perpendicular to each other, so that one is invisible and the other is visible. Obviously you keep the one that you displayed visible. Now, when you twist the lens, the object visually transforms into something else on their hand! Then, when you remove the lens, you steal away the first object. The items obviously have to be smaller than the lens so that they don't protrude from around the lens. I think it's a neat idea to explore.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1632 Posts

Use a shimmed item as the first item and make sure it goes on top of the other item. Use a PK ring to steal it away once it's invisible.
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
192 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
Lubor's lens gets a much stronger reaction if you let them examine the pen before, and then switch it. Make sure the original pen and the twisted one have some identifying blemish. When I performed it as on the dvd, the reaction was "It must have been there at the beginning!"

Also when you're doing the twisting part, tell them that they will start to feel something as you turn the lens (this tip, from the voodoo card explanation, can be used for almost all in the hands magic--it works, because our sense of touch is highly susceptible to suggestion). If people say they don't feel it, I usually say, almost to myself "cool, I must be getting really good at this...."

Finally don't try to sell the optical illusion as magic at all--I tell people the card is something I picked up at an optics trade show (I'm an optical physicist, so this works for me--you might say its something you picked up at a science museum gift shop ).

I do the optical illusion part, and say that's kind of neat, but I also found something really weird... and go into the twist.

-Rob
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1632 Posts

I can't say if it's stronger or not to let them examine the pen first, since I've never used another pen to switch it out. What I do know from my own personal experience is that I don't have to let them examine the pen and then switch it out. I take out the twisted pen and hold it naturally like I would a pen. I also display it at my fingertips, covering the twist. After the performance, people almost always say to themselves "and I examined the pen too, it was straight...". I'm being serious, I have never had a problem with having to let them examine the pen before the effect. It shouldn't even occur to them that it must have already been there. The effect is psychologically sound because of one concept: the pen is either visible or invisible. When you take out the pen, it's just a pen to them. The everyday suggestion leads them to assume that it's just a pen. When you place Lubor's Lens over it, they see the pen to be straight. You twist the lens and the center vanishes. You twist again and it's back. Psychologically, those are the only two states that the pen can be in. They can't imagine there to be a third state. Either the pen's center is visible or invisible. And when it's visible, it's straight. This really sinks into their mind that the pen is straight because they have no idea that the pen's about to twist.

P.S.: When you think about it, you wouldn't hand a pen out to be examined if all you're doing is an optical illusion and you're outright telling them so. It's not like they'll think the pen has vanishing technology. You tell them that the lens is what makes the pen seem to vanish and they believe you. Having them examine the pen before the effect just sets them up to believe that more will happen than just the optical illusion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » True Astonishments Discs 3 & 4 In Depth Review (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL