The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Original Mark Wilson Course in Magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
The very first magic book I ever got, which was sold to me over the counter by a guy in an alcove at the back of a joke shop in Salem Massachusetts was Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic. The little square one. This would have been in the mid 90's. I still have the book on my shelf, I still go back to it. What freaks me out now is realizing just how much is covered in that book. If one learned every effect in that book, you could work professionally for the rest of your life and not need anything else. It teaches you how to hold cards in the first chapter, and how to make illusions at the end. It is just crazy. That book change my life.

A few years ago, I got an email from someone that had seen me perform a few years before that at a wedding. They had a kid now, and the kid wanted a magician for his birthday. He also wanted to be a magician. When his parents asked me what book to get him, I told them to get this one. I'm sure in a decade that kid could post a similar message here.

I wonder how many magicians and magic lovers exist now because of that book?
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
When I first started Magic the Tarbell books as a complete set were out of my price range. Then along came The Mark Wilson Course in Magic. It was my first big magic purchase.

It is still a great book, when I find them in used books store I usually pick them up... Then give them out to young magicians. A 10 year old nephew that I had not seen since he was 4 stayed the night with his family as they were e traveling... As they left the next morning, I gave him a copy. he immediately started looking through it... When they were pulling out of the drive way, I heard him say to his parents "can we get a rabbit"... That made me laugh.

Bruce
ElizabethPage07
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of ElizabethPage07
I love Mark Wilson's book. I am also fortunate enough to be currently learning from him Smile
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Fortunate indeed!!!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
556 Posts

Profile of Mortimer Graves
When I worked in shops I must have sold about a thousand copies of his book. It's jammed full of good stuff, and I still recommend it to beginners, because a lot of the effects are still outstanding, even for audiences today. And it's easy to learn from, too.

I learned a lot from it myself.

For some reason, even people who weren't looking to buy anything at all could still be sold the book, and would come back later and thank me for talking the into it. I think I know the reason; it's good stuff.

Still one of the top five books on my recommended reading list for beginners.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing hap-

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2014, BCS wrote:
When I first started Magic the Tarbell books as a complete set were out of my price range. Then along came The Mark Wilson Course in Magic. It was my first big magic purchase.

It is still a great book, when I find them in used books store I usually pick them up... Then give them out to young magicians.

I agree that it's still a great book. My local used book store had the paperback versions for $4, so I bought several and gave them out to aspiring magicians. Great idea!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
556 Posts

Profile of Mortimer Graves
I used to sell a lot of Mark Wilson Courses by quoting the price on the Tarbell Course while pitching it.

If they went "ACK!", I knew I was about to sell another Mark Wilson Course. XD

Seriously though, it's just as worthy in my opinion, and doesn't even read like it's a hundred years old. It's an awesome way to start out.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing hap-

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Original Mark Wilson Course in Magic (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL