We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Director's Cut new releases. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mark Elsdon
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of Mark Elsdon
There are two new versions of Director's Cut soon to be available.

The first is Director's Cut II - The Horror Edition. This new choice of horror films was personally selected by Peter Nardi from his personal horror DVD collection. Trust me when I tell you that it wasn't easy for him to whittle it down to just 26 titles from his library of over 9000 horror films!

But he did it and this brand new set of cards opens up tons of new presentational possibilities. All your horror favorites are here, plus a few left field titles to keep the spectators on their toes.

This new set WON'T be available for Blackpool, but Peter, myself and one or two others will have a set with us, so if you'd like to check them out, please just ask one of us...

Secondly, Director's Cut III - The TOD Edition will be out late spring. When I created the routine (based on a Paul Hallas effect) which inspired Simon Shaw to put Director's Cut together, I had a second part to it that no magicians have ever seen. It uses a second set of cards which initially looks identical to the first set, but is in fact a hybrid TOD set. This allows me to extend the range of effects quite considerably and in ways not possible with the original set. Because of the way it is built from film posters, it allows each and every card to be completely different (and shown to be such) but still possess all the characteristics of a TOD. I know this sounds impossible, but it's true! This set is designed to be used in conjunction with the original Director's Cut set.

Again, any questions, please ask me about it at Blackpool.

Cheers,

ME
Check out The View From Here:
http://elsdon.blogspot.com/
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
Excuse my poor english but whats that 'TOD' in youre message mean?

Also,when I first read the name of this thread,I was hoping for a release adjusted to stage,I hope they (or you) come up with it one day.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I posted about this in latest and greatest over a month ago and no one seemed to care.

I think it's great news. Looking forward to it. I work with the original cards all the time to yelps of amazement and excitement.

daghank, TOD means Tossed-Out Deck.
Mark Elsdon
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of Mark Elsdon
TOD deck is a magical acronym. It stands for Tossed Out Deck.

With regard to the latter: in fact my original routine was designed for stage, not close-up! I will have my original set of cards with me at Blackpool, so anyone who is interested is welcome to have a look at them.

As for the Director's Cut cards, I think that the cards are absolutely perfect for close-up and that Simon and Peter did a wonderful job. However, I appreciate the desire of some to have a larger set available for stage work. I'll discuss it with Peter at Blackpool and see if there isn't a possibility of having some larger cards manufactured. It's Peter's decision, so no promises, but we'll see...

Cheers,

ME
Check out The View From Here:
http://elsdon.blogspot.com/
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
You really should let him know about the stage size idea and now after learning what TOD means,im really looking forward to see youre version of it,that idea is great Smile
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3327 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Sounds interesting! Director's Cut has, for too long now, been on my wish list. I think is time to take the plunge. A safe bet with Alakazam's name to it I'm sure.

Not sure about Director's Cut IV though with Nardi's 'other' DVD titles!!

Good to hear from Mr Elsdon, the creator of my 'opener' Pre-Prefiguration!
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
--------eXtrementalism--------......IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND.....
1260 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
I really like DC!

The cards would be a lot better for me if they were larger, so I´m happy to hear there is a possibility that there will be a larger set in the future...
and a double sided blank card would be great too!!

Hope to see the larger card set will hit the marked, and that Peter put a blank card out too, that would be really great.

BTW I have downloaded some of the covers used in the ´deck´ to use as a prediction (with a force effect) and that works great too!

Highly recommended!

Best wishes,
John
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3172 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Any chance we could see the list of horror films?
asanghi
View Profile
Loyal user
Nairobi, Kenya
283 Posts

Profile of asanghi
That's a bummer...I just bought the original DC (it arrived y'day), and it seems that there's an upgrade right (DC3) around the corner! Could have waited...Alas!
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Nothing wrong with owning both. The original is very cool and I use it all the time, movies we all know. I'll also be buying the Horror set for the more disturbing and bizarre occasions....
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1909 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Simon has been crafting some really great routines for DCII that you will all enjoy.

Great stuff

Dr T
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I just got everything together with Directors Cut and now there are more versions? Dang you UKers!
rickywhite
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of rickywhite
I'm glad to see that Simon's brainchild is continuing from strength to strength, I'm a big fan of the original DC and word on the grapevine suggests that in DC2 Simon & Alakazam offer more than just an additional set of cards, new routines perhaps? Either way, there's lots of scope for mixing the two sets of cards and just letting your imagination run riot!
Bananafish
View Profile
Elite user
Simon Shaw, Suffolk, England
416 Posts

Profile of Bananafish
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. It means a lot to me. I am finalising the new manuscript that will feature many more ideas that can be used with the new cards and in many cases the original cards (and even a few effects that feature both decks).

People have been asking about the films selected for the horror version, and believe me it took a lot of painful agonising to whittle it down with Peter to come up with the final set. There were just too many to choose from so I am sure there will be a few disappointments in films not included, but I believe we have a good variety that covers all genres of horror film. Having been performing with the cards myself over the last few weeks I have to say the new routines are going down very well and they are proving to be excellent tools for some very atmospheric effects.

So you want to know the movies? no?

In no particular order - we have...

Amityville Horror (1979),
The Blair Witch Project (1999),
Childs’s Play (1988)
Dracula (1931)
Evil Dead (1981)
Frankenstein (1931)
The Grudge (2004)
Halloween (1978)
Interview with the Vampire (1994)
Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)
The Lost Boys (1987)
The Mummy (1932)
Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
The Omen (1976)
Psycho (1960)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)
Rosemary’s Baby (1968)
The Shining (1980)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Underworld (2003)
Village of the ***ed (1960)
The Wolf man (1941)
The Exorcist (1973)
The Fly (1958)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)

Also - there will be an additional 4 horror films so at least there is a modicom of choice (although I have been happily using a deck of 30 films as I couldn't bear to skip any)

Carrie (1976)
Friday the 13th (1980)
Jeepers Creepers (2001)
The Ring (2002)

As well as that there will me an additional 4 mainstream films that can be used with the new set (I have several effects that utilise them), or can be used as alternatives to the original set. These are...

ET the Extra Terrestrial (1982)
The Sound of Music (1965)
Gone With the Wind (1939)
Titanic (1997)

and then there will be a double blank card, and a duplicate of the Dracula card...

Filming for the Dvd should take place in a few weeks or so - so hopefully the release will be (as they say) imminent.

oh - and yes - there WILL be a stage size version. Watch this space...
MikeOB
View Profile
Loyal user
Doylestown, PA
213 Posts

Profile of MikeOB
I cannot wait for this, I carry Directors Cut with me everyday. I like the fact that it is so compact. I just performed for a sales meeting and used a huge easel for the prediction. I like that you could use it for strolling and use a small note pad and for a meeting like that use a bigger writing space.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3172 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Im looking forward to purchasing the Horror Film version. The original is a quality item all the way!
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
This is good news, Mark, thanks for the announcement.

I think Simon Shaw's Director's Cut is one of the best recent releases in mentalism. I raved about it in the Magic Circular a while ago, and I will be raving about the new editions in my next column. So simple (in an ingenious way), so versatile, so easy to use and yet (in the right hands) so full of impact and entertainment value. The idea of doing a TOD version is just wonderful.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
839 Posts

Profile of andykean
I can't wait for the stage version
When!!!
The DC original is in my walkabout act.
Great news about stage version!!
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
I love the idea of using Horror Films!!

This will be on my "to buy as soon as I get my first pay slip!" list!!!

Peace & Love

Matt
JamesBiss
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of JamesBiss
Simon Shaw deserves an Oscar!

A stage version? Bravo!!!!!!
James Biss
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Director's Cut new releases. (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL