The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Does anyone know how to light a candle silently? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

apercu
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of apercu
Does anyone know of a way to light a candle silently? The candle could be concealed behind a handkerchief when being lit. I seem to remember a time when you could purchase lighters that made no sound, but they are no longer available. Are there any effects that will do the job?
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Light a flame with a flame. The only thing I can think of. Have a good quality lighter hidden in a safe place with the valve taped open. Keep it lit as a standby, then use it to "magically" light the candle.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
An electronic heat source and lighter fluid?
-Matt
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2582 Posts

Now THAT sounds scary. The flash point of lighter fluid may be too high for an electric heat source... plus the evap. point could cause small burst of flame... not too inconspicuous.

Nice thought process, tho.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I don't think evaporation would be much of a problem. You use lighter fluid for Fantasio candles.

I have seen flash paper and Fantasio candles lit with cigarettes.

I would think it is worth trying.

The heat source I am talking about is a model rocket igniter or glo plug.
-Matt
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2582 Posts

There ya go! Good thinkin!
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Model rocket ignitiors use nichrome wire. It's used in many pyro devices to ignite matches, flash paper, fash cotton and even flash pots. With the right item, it will do the trick, but I don't think the wire and the lighter fluid alone will be enough to do the trick (no pun intended LOL)

Now, what is the context in which you are trying to accomplish this? Is the candle simply to be made self lighting? Will it be left in a candlestick or picked up and used for something else? I've got a couple ideas that might work, but they would require set ups that may or maynot be practical for you.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
apercu
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of apercu
I want to make two lit candles appear fom behind a large handkerchief. The candles can remain in one spot. Since I can't afford self-lighting candles, I want to figure out away to light regular candles without making any sound. I would prefer not to have to add any fluid to the wicks.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
To not use any fluid would make the candles take quite a bit of time to light. Having some lighter fluid would give lighting the candle a jump start, once the fluid burns out, the wick will begin to burn.
-Matt
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
So is the effect the appearing of the lit candles then and that's it? If so, check the craft stores because sometime you can find fake candles that are battery operated. A little bit of semi transparent paint in the right colors on the bulb may make for a realistic looking flame.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
Try swapping the wicks for matches and strike pads on the thumbs, I'm sure this method was in one of the old fantasio books.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
erp1968
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of erp1968
I have been using fantasio candles, I replaced the wick with a match. The striker is taped wiht double stick tape at one end of the hankerchief. Works like a charm. People have not pointed out the strikers and the music mutes any strike sound. Just be careful with the silks, the burn very easy, my hankies have burn marks, I still use them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Does anyone know how to light a candle silently? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL