The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Blaine at Blackpool 09 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1338 Posts

Profile of bond19
Not sure where to post this..

Heard a rumour from a friend (who is performing at Blackpool 09) that David Blaine is going to make a surprise guest appearance this weekend

Not sure how true this is..

Has anyone heard anything similar??
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
There was an article in the daily mail on him yesterday
it just said he will be attending the convention.......
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Check over at itricks.com for more info, He will be at the convention and he is planning a UK tour in 2011.

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
jordanjohnson
View Profile
Special user
Hiding in the Shadows
593 Posts

Profile of jordanjohnson
Not a surprise now LOL
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
I dunno how he'll be recieved over here. From laymen point of view, he pretty much hated over here. From a magician point of view, they will obviously have more respect for him... should be interesting.

Jamie
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
jordanjohnson
View Profile
Special user
Hiding in the Shadows
593 Posts

Profile of jordanjohnson
Why do laymen over seas not like him Jamie?
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Well he came over here to do a stunt called "Above the below" where he stayed in a glass box. During the promotion side of things, he went on an early morning show called GMTV. It's a very widely watched show, very popular. He decided when the presenter asked him questions to remain silent. Then his displayed an eye on the palm of his hand and gave some wacky excuse for it. Ever since hes been taken the micky out of for this wierd stunt. Then when he finally did above the below, he wasn't really understood. People didn't get why he did it and thought it was a little bit odd. Therefore, people bagan to through eggs, paint balls and other stuff at his box during the stunt as well as using remote controlled helicopter to fly food close to the box. Ever since he hasnt really been to popular. People don't think it's magic, they just think he is wierd. Although, to his credit, everyone in the UK knows his name. Personally I'm split. I love the magic side of things. what hes done for magic is not even questionable. Bringing it back to the mainstream and popularising it. However, The stunt side of his perfoming isn't always recieved in the same way so I think hes done himself some damage through this. Anyways, hope he enjoys blackpool.

Jamie
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
Jay Buchanan
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
512 Posts

Profile of Jay Buchanan
Quote:
On 2009-02-19 16:03, JamieD wrote:
...as well as using remote controlled helicopter to fly food close to the box...

I like David, I really do, but I have to admit that the helicopter thing made me laugh! I can just see this RC Helicopter flying around the box with a cheeseburger ducktaped to it! Smile
Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt. ~ Shakespeare
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I have the Above The Below DVD and those people over there were pretty crazy to Ol' David...

What do I mean those people? (just saving all you other pranksters the time)

Nathan
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2009-02-19 16:03, JamieD wrote:
Well he came over here to do a stunt called "Above the below" where he stayed in a glass box. During the promotion side of things, he went on an early morning show called GMTV. It's a very widely watched show, very popular. He decided when the presenter asked him questions to remain silent. Then his displayed an eye on the palm of his hand and gave some wacky excuse for it. Ever since hes been taken the micky out of for this wierd stunt. Then when he finally did above the below, he wasn't really understood. People didn't get why he did it and thought it was a little bit odd. Therefore, people bagan to through eggs, paint balls and other stuff at his box during the stunt as well as using remote controlled helicopter to fly food close to the box. Ever since he hasnt really been to popular. People don't think it's magic, they just think he is wierd. Although, to his credit, everyone in the UK knows his name. Personally I'm split. I love the magic side of things. what hes done for magic is not even questionable. Bringing it back to the mainstream and popularising it. However, The stunt side of his perfoming isn't always recieved in the same way so I think hes done himself some damage through this. Anyways, hope he enjoys blackpool.

Jamie

David Blaine was Interviewed by Eamonn Holmes the next day Eamonn said this was the most weard interview he had ever done !

A lot of UK viewers this was the 1st they had ever seen of David Blaine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeddPlj2D......index=10
davidpeters
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of davidpeters
Yes, David is there. I have seen the pictures of him and our very own Tim Trono in the dealers area. It looks like they are checking out Mark Mason's Joke Box booth. Photos on Itricks.com News. We should have some blogs from Tim about the event soon on our website as well.
David White
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of David White
naquada
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of naquada
Those are my photos... you can see more on http://www.itricks.com and also http://www.magicconventionguide.com in our blackpool coverage...

I also snagged an audio interview with him on the sunday for iTricks.com and our own http://www.MagicConventionGuide.com podcast...

putting the rumors about his uk and us tours right, and also talking about his next stunt, and hinting at what it might be...

he was a gentleman !! Smile
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
871 Posts

Profile of Nechto
I agree, a gentleman he is!
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Quote:
On 2009-02-24 14:20, Nechto wrote:
I agree, a gentleman he is!

I second that!!
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Ill third that
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
A gentleman he may be - but - is he a good magician? I've yet to be convinced.
Yes, I know I'll get slammed by those who say "He's world famous - he makes stacks of cash, blah blah..."
But that doesn't answer the question.

Does he actually ever entertain in the flesh? Has he ever appeared on stage for any length of time and performed any magical effects?

I was at Blackpool and saw the crush around him - who cares? Not me. Now - if he was actually DO something..different story.

Did he stand behind a stall and perform like a hundred others at the weekend? Could he, if pressed to?

I wouldn't cross the road to watch him, untie his shoe laces. but that won't bother him.

Was there a crush around Jeff McBride? Not much. But I'd watch him ANY TIME.

Famous for sitting in a perspex box?? Well - it's a funny old world, huh?

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
animation
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of animation
His skills or ability may not impress you, but remember his target audience is Layman, and that's all that counts in magic. And trust me most lay men think his magic is REAL
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
DCB,

Quite understandable.

He may not be a traditional performer or a performer in a way you're more familiar with. But he IS a performer nonetheless.

And he does have chops.

There was this video uploaded on Youtube, a layman posted it, of David dropping by an office (for business I'm assuming) and decided to show some effects. Unfortunately I didn't favorite it so I can't find it Smile But he was very entertaining and jovial; must have been a good business meeting Smile

David is very capable; just because he hasn't performed for you doesn't mean he isn't.

Though I do agree that his endurance stunts are a bit odd, he has however, achieved what he set out to do, which was to inspire the imagination and bring people together.

Stay safe,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
He may or may not be a magician. His job is to sell soap, which he does admirably.

When Houdini and his likes performed his stunts for free, the reason was to publicise his current show for that evening, that week, or whatever. Straight jacket escapes, jail house escapes etc - that was all to sell tickets for his shows. Impresssive stunts - stunts that would make you want to buy tickets...

Blaine holds his breath for 6 minutes (or whatever it was) in order to sell advertising during his TV shows. I'm pretty sure most of is income is tied around these shows.

As a showman, he's just not impressive. He seems lazy. Sitting in a glass box for weeks on end probably suited him just fine.

I just don't buy his style.

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Blaine at Blackpool 09 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL