The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mindfreak2.0
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of mindfreak2.0
Is busking legal?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It depends on where you live.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It all depends on the city's ordinance. Even though it is legal in a lot of cities, most have different rules and regulations you must follow.
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Yes
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Proxy
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of Proxy
And it not only depends on where you live, but where you are performing and where you are from. Some areas of Europe will be problematic if you are (or if you sound) American. Of course it may be the same in the US in terms of profiling working foreigners.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Just remember...

it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission....
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
But it's more expensive to come up with bail. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Bail or jail? Does a magician get to use a Magician's Choice for this? Smile Would a person get arrested for a first-time violation? If so, what city? I don't think it would happen for first-time offence in New Zealand. I have yet to be challenged for setting up in NZ without permission. Different rules for different countries/cities, no doubt.
The presentation makes the magic.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
On the books leagle and what you can get away with is often different. If the cops don't know the law, and think you are a problem then so will you, however if you are not causing problems and the cops have higher priorities, they may pass you buy, eaven if you are not quite leagle.
Philli as of last I looked had no busking laws, most of the city people we talked to had no idea what we were talking about, and would send us to a difrent department. as best as I can work out, the only thing they have is an agressive panhandling law. It is a stick they can shake at you gut not hit you with.

All this to get to the point that MMReed made. and don't tick off the cops.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
In Houston, the area around Minute Maid park has become full of panhandlers, some with, some without guitars or other "acts." They want to pass themselves off as buskers. They aren't. They are beggars. Period.

So the city has become somewhat aggressive about making them move along. If they catch them more than once or twice, then they go to jail. This is allright with them. They are mostly homeless, and it's better than where they are staying. But it isn't better for the rest of us.

There is a law in Houston that states that a panhandler cannot come within a certain distance of any person. If your act violates that distance requirement, and a cop catches you, then you can be tossed in the hoosegow.

If you get a large enough crowd to block the sidewalk, same problem. And if they are having a festival of some kind, then the entertainment is controlled by an agency of some sort.

In cases like this, it's best to just leave it alone.

Martha Herrmann Square is the only place in Houston where you won't be hassled.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
jcorb
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of jcorb
How about busking in Phoenix Arizona. Has anybody tried it there? If you have where?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-02-21 20:31, jcorb wrote:
How about busking in Phoenix Arizona. Has anybody tried it there? If you have where?

Isn't Phoenix one of the most awfulist places on the planet? If you can busk there I'd say go for it, they need all the help they can get...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Proxy
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of Proxy
Just busk short 10 minute sets in the US because at the rate the dollar is dropping, with a longer show your hat devalues more as the minutes pass. Exchange into thumbtips, flashpaper, and other mediums of exchange, ASAP!:0
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-02-21 21:06, gaddy wrote:
Quote:

Isn't Phoenix one of the most awfulist places on the planet? If you can busk there I'd say go for it, they need all the help they can get...

Isn't Phoenix presently the fastest growing city in the US? It now has a bigger population than Detroit, over 1,000,000.
jcorb
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of jcorb
Its about 2 million now and getting smoggy. I haven't tried to busk there yet because I can find a good place to go I'm still working 6 days aweek on my everyday job.
But I plan to start lookin soon before the heat hits. I sent a email to the city but they never answered me yet. Its been a week.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-02-21 21:06, gaddy wrote:
Quote:

I've never lived in Phoenix... but you've never lived in Providence!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL