The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Out Of This World (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I have a few dozen copies of Paul Curry's instructions that were printed by Jim Swoger for paul Curry
PeterMik
View Profile
New user
Denmark
50 Posts

Profile of PeterMik
Awesome Lawrence. Thanks so much.
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
For those that are interested, Paul curry's original 3-page booklet can be found here for $4 (eBook):

http://www.lybrary.com/this-world-p-7610.html

Posted: Mar 21, 2009 5:53pm
For an impromptu version, I suggest that you check Ulysses Frederick Grant's "Nu Way Out Of This World" . As far as I know, it is very similar to Harry Lorayne's version :

http://www.lybrary.com/this-world-p-3146.html

Click here to view attached image.
My English sucks, I know it. It's probably better than your French anyway...
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Seems as if I never got around to answering you, Lawrence. Sorry. So far as I know my The Great Divide is an entirely original method for separating the colors under the spectators' noses during one run-through of the deck, as if counting the cards or looking for a particular card or cards. Perhaps people used the Biddle count for that, but I'm no historian, so don't know, but in any case, that'd be a lousy way to do it - I'm referring to a NATURAL way. Over the decades, I sold many
thousands of my original m/s - in those early days, I alwlays demo'd and sold it (it's copyrighted 1972); it's been written about, etc. And over the decades, NOBODY has EVER told me that it was similar to anything else.

Now, when I say "rip-off," I mean just that. RIP-OFF, not a "variant." I've written this often, and I hate to be redundant here, but...In the 1970s I lectured throught Scandinavia. At EVERY one of them, starting in Stockholm, I saw the same guy in front, watching me intently - I mean, at EVERY lecture I did in Scandinavia. And, he sure as **** perked up, leaned forward when I performed a routine with a borrowed, shuffled deck, where I did The Great Divide. And, not too long afterward, Lennart came out with his "angle" thing - an obvious, to those who know, rip-off; no credit, no nothing. "It's not identical" in so far as that it is NOWHERE as good. (I've been told this hundreds, if not thousands, of times by people who know, have tried/used both.) He obviously tried to be "identical" in so far as it's supposed to simply look a "normal" run-through of the deck. I really don't know how else to answer you, Lawrence. Lennart is one **** of a cardman, probably one of the best around today - but, he blantantly RIPPED-OFF my The Great Divide. Hope I've answered your question(s). Best - HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Hi Harry.

Yes you did answer the question and waved any possible doubt any one of us here might have kept on this matter.
Knowing both versions with their differences as well as similarities, I thought it was not superfluous to have a deeper knowledge of the facts giving ground to the reason for your earlier and repeated statement: it was a rip-off.

Best
Lawrence
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
ekgdoc
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of ekgdoc
A few years ago I went through a period where I became obsessed with learning variations of OOTW in an attempt to determine which one was "best." After evaluating a number of variants, I decided to show my wife several versions with the performances done one right after the other. When I was done, I asked her which version was best. She gave me a confused look and then said, "I thought you just performed the same trick over and over." My obsession with OOTW ended right there. I concluded that it does not matter which version you perform; to the laymen they are all the same. I settled on Galaxy and Lorayne's Impromptu OOTW as my favorites and moved on.
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
Phew! I'm not the only one guy with this twisted idea...

Seriously I don't want to know which version is the best, but I find very interesting to study many approaches to this very entertaining trick.

Lawrence O, when you write:

Quote:
Kennedy, John: Intuition. Card College Light by Roberto Giobbi (three piles red black and wrong) & “Red and Black”. Genii Magazine March 1989 p. 560-562

does this mean that "Red and Black" by Jonh Kennedy has been renamed (and of course, "dissected") by Roberto Giobbi in its "Card College Light"? Or did Kennedy himself use the name "Intuition" at some point?

And I guess this has nothing to do with "Intuition" by Nick Trost, right?
My English sucks, I know it. It's probably better than your French anyway...
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Etienne,

Thank you for your impressive list of OOTW variations.

I believe you own a copy of my book 'Noetic License' (Book Three in the Act-series) which contains my impromptu, self-working OOTW presentation called "Welcome To My World". WTMW begins with an unprepared deck. The guest shuffles the cards three times during the presentation...but still the colors separate.

Is it possible to have WTMW included on your list as well?

Thank you again for your astute research, E.

Warm regards,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Mick
First I'm not a guru of anything: thus I don't own "my" lists. It is not for me to decide who should be there and who shouldn't. Admittedly there are limits to variants; but the lists were basically issued for me to study an effect before creating my own (I hate reinventing the wheel). Hence they're just imperfect but time saving tools that I thought could help and was prepared to share with other magicians. They are not setting rules and if something is missing, it doesn't mean it is excluded, it simply means that I missed it. Naturally thanks to posts by other magicians, my lists get better and better over time.
Now, Mike, please accept my apology for the lack of update mentioning your work on the effect that, yes, I bought and read (but I had a computer crash and could only find the Noetic License (Addendum)) and that was not included in the updated list. what the list reads like as of today for your contribution to OOTW is as follows:
Ayres, Mike. Noetic Licence. Out Of My World; and Welcome To My World impromptu, self-working OOTW presentation
... and I remember that it's an interesting work.

Now as far as Vincent (Bikoz) question is concerned. "Red and Black" by John Kennedy has been nicely reworked by Roberto Giobbi (a genius who really understand magic) and I do not remember about the word "Intuition" because I keep several lists and I'm more interested in the script (when available) and the method than in the variants in trick names (but I should).
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Etienne,

I am grateful. Thank you. Your outstanding contributions on the Café are a referencing education for conjurors.

Warm regards,
Mick

PS: Check your email inbox. I am happy to replace your lost books.
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Canadian Guy
View Profile
Regular user
California
149 Posts

Profile of Canadian Guy
There is a book entitiled Best of All Worlds coming out later this year which is an EXTENSIVE compilation of the different routines from TOP name magicians. Not only will it have routines, but thoughts on OOTW, Improvements, unpublished versions and MUCH MORE!

HUGE BOOK...stay tuned...
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2968 Posts

Profile of MueCard
Thanks, Lawrence O, but please use instead of:
"Muller, Reinhard. Out of my Mind. Spell-Binder Magazine. Digital edition by Martin Breese http://www.martinbreese.com/cdroms.htm"
"Mueller, Reinhard" [originally Müller, Reinhard] I know that Stephen Tucker always wrongly wrote "Muller".
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Lawrence ), I have a version in my first book, "The King Has Left the Building...With Amnesia" called "Two Degrees of Separation"

Thanks
Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Thank you Jeff

I also found another very interesting version by Tom Salinsky of the UK called "Order This World" which Tom was kind enough to send me a copy of. He is using a corner short where I would use a breather but this makes no difference as his variant is much further than the other versions than this trifle.
ianhutch
View Profile
New user
Kent, England
27 Posts

Profile of ianhutch
I've seen a number of variations of OOTW which I perform as well as OOTU. To make it easy to spot the point of the colour change, I use Bicycle League Back cards. They are a very clear one-way back design for magicians & the top cards can be any way round but then a run of about 6 the same way round leads up to the next reversed back which is the first of the new colour. It saves counting or face up cards & should never be spotted as the 2nd half of the pack can be completely random.
Jonathan Fetzer
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Fetzer
Don't know why I feel inclined to write here, haven't posted in years, but you guys may enjoy thinking about this: This effect can be done without a table. The spectator shuffles a normal pack and deals them into the performers right and left hand; the performer then places the piles into the spectators hands and the colors are shown to be separated. No need for a table. Does anyone else do this trick w/o a table?
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Dealing onto the spectators hand? A full deck? Too risky....

OK - they have their hands full... but the number of times a spec will drop the cards..and then what? There's no recovery from that.

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
508 Posts

Profile of hcs
The German Top Magician Axel Hecklau does OOTW with a borrowed and shuffled deck in standing conditions (without table!) "OotW Xtrem". He handles the spectator very carefull.
Axel Hecklau
View Profile
Regular user
Berlin / Germany
116 Posts

Profile of Axel Hecklau
In my version the spectator deals in my hands.
And then I deal the the cards face up into the spectator hands to show the separation - there is no danger because the job for the spectator is to separate the colors without looking. Additional there is no need for the spectator to look, because just a moment before he had seen the shuffeled deck.
I will publish my version soon in english language - I am working on the translation from my German lecture notes in the moment.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Axel's routine is excellent. You'll find a further handling (good for platform also)in Doc Dixon's "MonkeyShines" Volume 2 ("Out of this Platform"). Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Out Of This World (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL