The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Charlier Shuffle (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
b_gentner
View Profile
New user
Brandon
1 Post

Profile of b_gentner
I have a trick and I need to learn how to do the Charlier shuffle. Has anyone heard of this shuffle? All I know is that all the cards remain in the same place but it looks like you are shuffling. Please tell me how to do it???
undefined
It is always fun to do the impossible!!!
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4314 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Not quite, but close.

A Charlier or "Slop" Shuffle, leaves the cards in sequence, but basically gives the cards a single cut.

The technique should be in most books that teach card sleights.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Expert Card Technique by Hugard, Page 412

Probably some other places as well
Smile
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Gawin
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
171 Posts

Profile of Gawin
http://www.kartentricks.de
Stufe 4

Unfortunatly a German site.

But try it.

Gawin Smile
Tricky
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Tricky
the Charlier shuffle or Haymow shuffle is in the RRTCM. probably other places as well
james
mikeB
View Profile
New user
UK
84 Posts

Profile of mikeB
Also on Daryl's Encylopedia of Card Sleights Volume #2
Cheers

Mike
Your Reality Is A Figment Of My Imagination
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3321 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
63 Posts

Profile of CGould
Honestly I just used the YouTube video weepinwil just posted above to learn it and now I practice it multiple times a day at work, sloppy as hell but I will get it eventually. Its not a hard shuffle at all, just want to learn to do it faster and cleaner personally.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8447 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I stopped using the Charlier Shuffle decades ago when I started using my UTILITY MIXER. Probably one of the best utility moves I've come up with - and which I've taught in my last few books.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3040 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2019, CGould wrote:
Its not a hard shuffle at all, just want to learn to do it faster and cleaner personally.

The Charlie is one of those shuffles that can benefit from not looking clean, for what it's worth. Make it messier than a messy thing.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
63 Posts

Profile of CGould
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2019, The Burnaby Kid wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2019, CGould wrote:
Its not a hard shuffle at all, just want to learn to do it faster and cleaner personally.

The Charlie is one of those shuffles that can benefit from not looking clean, for what it's worth. Make it messier than a messy thing.

I can see that actually, Thanks!
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3040 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
No problem. If you're curious at all, in the signature below is a link to JACK. There's a brief part in there on this shuffle. It's nothing special, just a contrast between Hugard and Braue's views on the move and Erdnase's, with some extra stuff thrown in. Nothing new on the move itself, just on the context of it.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
63 Posts

Profile of CGould
I will definitely be checking that out, thank you!
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1875 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Patrick Page's wonderful book Magic Page by Page has a section on the Charlier shuffle. I'd have preferred more pictures, but the text description is excellent, as is most of what he wrote.

I can't comment on more than The Memory Book by Mr. Lorayne, having not bought any of his other work after getting that one, but I will say that Page's work is definitely among the good stuff.

-Patrick
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8447 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
How can you "really" discuss card magic in general if you don't have any of my books on the subject? My Utility Mixer is much, much, better than the Charlier

mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1053 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2019, Harry Lorayne wrote:
[…] How can you "really" discuss card magic in general if you don't have any of my books on the subject? […]

The bibliography on card magic is close to infinite.
So much "good stuff" has been written by so many magicians and so it is absolutely possible to do good/great card magic without ever having read one single word published by you.

Mark
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8447 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I really, really, feel that with over EIGHTY YEARS of experience with card magic - and after writing about FORTY books on the subject (many think - at least have said/written - that my books are among the best of the best on the subject) - I have as much right to my opinion on anything having to do with card magic as you do or as Woolery does - IF NOT MUCH, much, MORE.

Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1875 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Harry, I never said your contributions are not good stuff. I do believe that Patrick Page's long and indisputable career in magic qualify him to be able to also write good stuff. I only addressed the OP's question of where to find material on one particular move.

I didn't say you don't write good stuff. But I will say that you are not the only one who wrote good stuff. And I have not descended into personal attacks or insults by saying that someone who actually used the Charlier Shuffle (as you have stated you do not) might have something valuable to say on the subject.

-Patrick
Stewart
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Stewart
Harry is a terrific writer and I shall leave it at that. With regard to the Charlier shuffle the best use of it is with a very small packet. I use it often for that purpose. For a full deck there are plenty of other methods available.
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
63 Posts

Profile of CGould
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2019, Stewart wrote:
Harry is a terrific writer and I shall leave it at that. With regard to the Charlier shuffle the best use of it is with a very small packet. I use it often for that purpose. For a full deck there are plenty of other methods available.

I currently only practice it with about half a deck, which is all that's required for the effect I am using it for. What methods work for a full deck, or can I even ask that here?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The Charlier Shuffle (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL